Moved 2022 before its to late.

While I don't think the IOC cares about India when it comes to Winter Olympics or about the volatile (to put it mildly) man in the White House, I wouldn't be surprised if 2022 is the next thing to blow up right into the IOC's face.

They chose Beijing in a competition between leftovers after all serious European contenders either didn't even make the starting line (Munich) or got fearful and annoyed along the way (Oslo), both accompanied or caused by sheer arrogance from Bach and company. That alone was problematic already, not least because of the human rights issues - but beggars couldn't be choosers in 2015 either and the fear for a potentially unstable Kazakhstan was obviously winning.

Now, less than two years before the scheduled opening ceremony, a lot will depend on the will of the Chinese government to set up proper health and safety standards and cooperate fully with international organisations such as the WHO to tackle both the cause and the effects of the pandemic. The risk for another major image problem for the IOC is definitely enormous, but I'm sure Thomas Bach will see this again as the Olympic torch being the light at the end of the tunnel, guiding light for China and the world to come out of this crisis and celebrate unity etc etc.

3 hours ago, olympikfan said:

Their are many countries very upset at China. India is one that is taking a stand to China. Many countries in Europe are taking steps to deal with China, and if Trump is reelected he might boycott the games and force others countries to do the same. Take heed IOC.

Thank you for some good old-fashioned baseless speculation right there.  India - with a grand total of 21 athletes sent to the Winter Olympics - is going to take a stand?  European countries are going to send a message by.. doing what?  And if Trump gets re-elected (G-d help us all), do you really the USOPC or anyone else for that matter will give a $hit if he's pissed at China?

The IOC is in bed with China right now.  There is ZERO chance either party is willingly backing out of that agreement.  Especially given how much damage control they're going to have to do with regard to Japan in the 202One Olympics.  You can't honestly think the IOC is going to turn their backs on China.  What's the alternative?  Cancel the 2022 Olympics?  Pretty sure the IOC will not consider that an option, especially with how badly they're hurting right now with Tokyo.

2 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

While I don't think the IOC cares about India when it comes to Winter Olympics or about the volatile (to put it mildly) man in the White House, I wouldn't be surprised if 2022 is the next thing to blow up right into the IOC's face.

They chose Beijing in a competition between leftovers after all serious European contenders either didn't even make the starting line (Munich) or got fearful and annoyed along the way (Oslo), both accompanied or caused by sheer arrogance from Bach and company. That alone was problematic already, not least because of the human rights issues - but beggars couldn't be choosers in 2015 either and the fear for a potentially unstable Kazakhstan was obviously winning.

Now, less than two years before the scheduled opening ceremony, a lot will depend on the will of the Chinese government to set up proper health and safety standards and cooperate fully with international organisations such as the WHO to tackle both the cause and the effects of the pandemic. The risk for another major image problem for the IOC is definitely enormous, but I'm sure Thomas Bach will see this again as the Olympic torch being the light at the end of the tunnel, guiding light for China and the world to come out of this crisis and celebrate unity etc etc.

The good thing about the 2022 Olympics is that there's so much focus on trying to salvage 2021 that very little attention will be paid to Beijing next September.  So most people in Olympics circles will forget about what they hate about China and why they probably shouldn't have been awarded an Olympics in the first place.  That said, be careful of how we remember history.  The final vote total for Beijing over Almaty was 44-40.  A couple of voters have a change of heart at the last moment and suddenly the country that "obviously" wasn't winning actually pulls it off.

That all aside.. yes, we're nearly 2 years away from the start of their Olympics.  Right now in the moment of this pandemic, there are a lot of fingers being pointed at China.  We know the lengths that Japan was willing to go to in order to make the world believe it would be safe to host the Olympics on schedule.  No one knows what the state of the world will be in 2 years or where we'll be in terms of this pandemic.  It's not as if we'll have forgotten about all this by the time the 2022 Olympics roll around, but it's unfair to evaluate the future based on the present in that regard.

Nationalists generally love the Olympics as a venue for national competition. I doubt Trump would actually want to boycott the Olympics. Carter was a very different sort of president.

Blaming China for a disease that has killed thousands of their people is simply stupid. Should the French hate America because phylloxera came from America and destroys European grapes?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The IOC is ride or die with Beijing now.  There is no night in shiny armor to save it.  It HAS to succeed for them. China has a bullseye on their back right now whether they like it or not, and its mostly justified.  Their handling of the pandemic was simply shambolic, and yes they should share a heavy blame for that.  The Olympics is by far and away their best chance for a charm offensive at a world that is very..........very mad with them right now.

Kazakhstan would have been struggling mightily to pay this thing off with the huge plummet in oil and natural gas prices.  The Tenge is absolutely tanking right now.  The "stability" of China is looking like a good bet right now, because Kazakhstan would have made us pretty nervous right now with their current financial situation.  

• 2 months later...

It won't move because we know these events follow the money, not the morals.   If it did though relocating the Winter Games to Japan would make the most sense given what is happening with the summer games - an absolute last resort if Beijing lost hosting rights and Tokyo 2021 couldn't go ahead would be to have both games in Japan in 2022.

Could well happen...

No Tokyo Games, no Beijing either: Pound

If the postponed Tokyo Olympics do not go ahead next year due to COVID-19 then the 2022 Beijing Winter Games will likely also fall victim to the pandemic, International Olympic Committee member Dick Pound has warned.

If there is no vaccine for the virus and countries are unable to contain the pandemic, the IOC could once again be forced to postpone or cancel the Tokyo Olympics.

This would most likely trigger a knock-on effect taking out the Beijing Games as well, Pound said.

The Winter Olympics are scheduled for February 4 to 20, 2022, just six months after the Tokyo Summer Games, which are now set to be held from July 23 to August 8, 2021, after being pushed back a year by the coronavirus outbreak.

"Taking the political side out of it for the moment say there is a COVID problem in July and August next year in Tokyo, it is hard to imagine there is not going to be a knock-on effect in the same area five months later," Pound told Reuters.

Pound, a Canadian lawyer who has served as both an IOC vice-president and head of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), also said the Beijing Olympics could be further complicated by a number of political showdowns.

These include an increasingly unstable and volatile situation in Hong Kong and the United States/China relations.

President Donald Trump has labelled the pandemic the "China virus" and blamed the country for the outbreak that first emerged from the Chinese city of Wuhan.

Pound speculated that any number of scenarios could arise.

These included one where the threat is not so much of a US boycott of the Games, but one where China might consider barring Americans from taking part if the country cannot gain control over the virus.

"If you are a conspiracy theorist, you might say well, the WHO is strongly influenced by China and they could probably without smirking too much go to a WHO meeting, from which the US will no longer be associated, and say this isn't positive health," he said.

"There could be the largest number of cases in the world (in the US) and it would be dangerous having Americans coming to China.

"That is an extreme supposition. There are all kinds of crazy things that could happen."

7 news

I mean, it's only fair that they are punished and equally get their games cancelled if Tokyo loses them. Even if they did not caused the pandemic, the fact that their lies and constant cover ups of the virus evolution which have also been exposed by either WHO's own dumbness or Taiwan (a country which China loves to isolate from everything and yet they managed to manage this disaster much better than many other countries) is still there. Even without the cancellation the shadow of a boycott is stronger than ever and Hong Kong might be the excuse the West will use to justify it. Let's hope nothing of this happens, but if Tokyo is cancelled next year get ready for the worst years for Olympism since WW2.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 9:33 PM, olympikfan said:

If Tokyo is cancel and don't rule it out does anyone  think it will be pay back to China.

That's not how this works.  The IOC is about to cut off their nose to spite their face.  If the pandemic continues and it's not safe to hold the 2022 Olympics, that's one thing.  But if Tokyo can't go, there's no shot the IOC is going to turn to China and say "you screwed things up for everyone.. no Olympics for you either, we're shutting it down"

On 7/14/2020 at 11:41 AM, Brekkie Boy said:

It won't move because we know these events follow the money, not the morals.   If it did though relocating the Winter Games to Japan would make the most sense given what is happening with the summer games - an absolute last resort if Beijing lost hosting rights and Tokyo 2021 couldn't go ahead would be to have both games in Japan in 2022.

That would make absolutely no sense.  Japan is struggling enough to try and put on the Tokyo Olympics.  The last thing they need is to have another Olympics just a few months later.  As is, I still wonder about their enthusiasm to bid for 2030 given what it's costing them to put on the 202One Olympics

On 7/16/2020 at 2:48 PM, Ikarus360 said:

I mean, it's only fair that they are punished and equally get their games cancelled if Tokyo loses them. Even if they did not caused the pandemic, the fact that their lies and constant cover ups of the virus evolution which have also been exposed by either WHO's own dumbness or Taiwan (a country which China loves to isolate from everything and yet they managed to manage this disaster much better than many other countries) is still there. Even without the cancellation the shadow of a boycott is stronger than ever and Hong Kong might be the excuse the West will use to justify it. Let's hope nothing of this happens, but if Tokyo is cancelled next year get ready for the worst years for Olympism since WW2.

Who cares about fair?  This is the IOC we're talking about.  I'll believe in boycotts when I see them.  You really think the USOPC would boycott an Olympics in China knowing it's almost certain that China would decline to come here in 2028?  No shot.

And should Tokyo not be able to host next Summer because of the pandemic, do you really think the IOC would punish themselves and tell China they're a no go?  Right now is a pretty bad time for Olympism.  Let's hope the state of the world, both in terms of the pandemic and other human rights issues, gets better in the next 12 months.  I'm hopeful the virus can be reigned in to the point it's safe to have sports again (I plan on doing my part for that on November 3rd), but considering it was no secret that China did not in fact clean up their act after the 2008 Olympics, clearly the IOC does not consider human rights issues a dealbreaker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, olympikfan said:

Are athletes going to feel safe in China? You think the world will forget about Covid 19 in 2022.  The WHO has yet to declare the pandemic over. The NHL would send its players over. And international tourists would go to China, This is not the world of 2008.

Why would athletes not feel safe in China?  Yea, the pandemic isn't over.  That makes just about every country out there unsafe at this point.  I don't see why China is somehow a scary place to be simply because that's where the virus originated from.  The 1 thing 1 know we can count on from them is that they'll sanitize their world image and clean things up when everyone is focusing their attention on them.  Yes, all of this is dependent on the situation with the virus being better in 2022 than it is now.  Of course, there's another Olympics before then.  Does Japan not need to worry about Covid?

Maybe in the long run, Uighurs and HK will be a bigger (PR) problem for 2022 than Covid-19, if they have a vaccine for that.

But yeah, the IOC didn’t care about Human Rights in 2008 and they won’t in 2022. There might be however athletes willing to take a risk and speak up during the Games. That’ll be quite a show then.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The political situation in China has radically deteriorated since 2008. Leading up to 2008 China was lead by someone hand-picked by Deng Xaiopeng in his efforts to mordernize and reform the CPC of the excesses of the Mao era. There is not going to be a transition of power in 2022/2023 like there has been since the end of the Deng era. Xi is dictator for life and every prominent old guard member is either behind him, or sidelined. That has lead to the excesses we have seen from what is happening in Hong Kong, to the Uighurs, to Pacific coast nations of the Americas shitting themselves over the size and scope of Chinese fishing fleets coming their way. The world is going to have to unify against a much more aggressive and belligerent China under Mr Pooh. 

I remember wanting to go to Beijing in 2008 and almost pulled the trigger to do it, now there is not a hope in hell I will set foot in that country. China is fucking scary, and the potential for fullscale war is something that you would have thought unimaginable 12 years ago is now a serious possibility. With China having a lot of advantageous.  India would face war on two or three fronts, how can anyone protect Taiwan, Vietnam and the Philippines? Let a lone the potential danger posed to Japan and Korea. People thought economic integration would limit wars 80 years ago, it didn't and it won't now.

Beijing 2022 could be just as easily, and some could say more likely, cancelled because of war as because of this pandemic.

1 hour ago, Faster said:

Beijing 2022 could be just as easily, and some could say more likely, cancelled because of war as because of this pandemic.

Nah, China will play by the Putin book...wait until after the closing ceremony and then go all-in (probably Taiwan at highest risk now sadly).

On 8/1/2020 at 12:39 PM, Faster said:

The political situation in China has radically deteriorated since 2008. Leading up to 2008 China was lead by someone hand-picked by Deng Xaiopeng in his efforts to mordernize and reform the CPC of the excesses of the Mao era. There is not going to be a transition of power in 2022/2023 like there has been since the end of the Deng era. Xi is dictator for life and every prominent old guard member is either behind him, or sidelined. That has lead to the excesses we have seen from what is happening in Hong Kong, to the Uighurs, to Pacific coast nations of the Americas shitting themselves over the size and scope of Chinese fishing fleets coming their way. The world is going to have to unify against a much more aggressive and belligerent China under Mr Pooh. 

I remember wanting to go to Beijing in 2008 and almost pulled the trigger to do it, now there is not a hope in hell I will set foot in that country. China is fucking scary, and the potential for fullscale war is something that you would have thought unimaginable 12 years ago is now a serious possibility. With China having a lot of advantageous.  India would face war on two or three fronts, how can anyone protect Taiwan, Vietnam and the Philippines? Let a lone the potential danger posed to Japan and Korea. People thought economic integration would limit wars 80 years ago, it didn't and it won't now.

No one will say that last part.  Stefan hit on it perfect.. China will maintain (as best they can) a happy face for the rest of the world knowing a lot of eyes will be on them for the next year and a half, as if there's already not a ton of scrutiny because of COVID-19.  They won't do anything before February 2022 or else other countries will reject them and that's not what they want to project to the rest of the world.  After that, then all bets are off

On 8/2/2020 at 6:30 PM, Quaker2001 said:

No one will say that last part.  Stefan hit on it perfect.. China will maintain (as best they can) a happy face for the rest of the world knowing a lot of eyes will be on them for the next year and a half, as if there's already not a ton of scrutiny because of COVID-19.  They won't do anything before February 2022 or else other countries will reject them and that's not what they want to project to the rest of the world.  After that, then all bets are off

With the boycott movement starting China has already got countries very likely going to boycott 2022.

On 8/4/2020 at 6:24 AM, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

I am 90% sure the USA, UK and Japan will all boycott and in return they will be boycotts of western held games.

On 8/4/2020 at 6:26 AM, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

I don't think people realise that if the white house wants a boycott (And Biden is just as anti China as Trump) no American athlete will risk being seen as a traitor by pushing to compete.

On 8/4/2020 at 6:28 AM, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

With the boycott movement starting China has already got countries very likely going to boycott 2022.

I'll believe it when I see it.  Does the United States really want to boycott 2022 knowing it all but guarantees that China won't be here in 2028.  And we know how big of a deal that was for them to show up in LA in 1984.

If Trump gets re-elected (G-d help us if that happens), I'm sure he'll push for a 2022 boycott because someone will plant the idea in his head and he'll rile up all his supporters, and they'll force the USOPC's hand to cave in.  If Biden wins the election?.. not sure sure he'll push so hard to make that kind of political statement, especially without a groundswell of other politicians pushing him for it.  And I don't think that's going to happen.

Should there be a more coordinating worldwide effort involved here, that's a different story.  But again, how does the United States or France or Italy become a part of that when they're in bed with the IOC and did so after they had already awarded an Olympics to China?  Because then that torpedoes the value of their investment and I'm not sure that's a route they'll want to be forced into.  Let alone LA 2028 who is NOT backed by the government and relies on private funding.  So that hurts them big time if a country representing 1/5 of humanity (as they reminded us with their 2008 pitch) isn't in attendance, and who knows what other countries might join them in solidarity.

• Like 1

Here is another thing to consider, If the summer Olympics are cancel. who is to say that the winter athletes will start a movement of solidarity to show support for those  summer athletes. who lost their moment. In other words we didn't have ours you don't get yours. Another way to not use the word boycott.