Becuz of Shift, will there be TWO Birmingham 2022s?

One consequence of moving Tokyo 2020 to 2021 is that the World Games 2021, scheduled for Birmingham, Alabama, would probably be moved up to 2022 in which case it would run smack up against the OTHER Birmingham 2022 (in the UK), the Commonwealth Games.   The World Games are held under the auspices and supervision of the IOC -- so they could not possibly handle both events in the same season.   Thus, unless that is cancelled; the IOC could probably push that up to 2022 -- in which case there would be TWO Birmingham 2022s!!  Good luck in going to the right city then!  :lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, texsportpub said:

I do not think there will be a conflict between Tokyo 2020-plus 1 and Birmingham 2021. There are few athletes and no sports that I am aware of that will be contested in both Games. 

No; it's NOT the athletes nor the sports.  The IOC supervises the World Games (or gives it its blessings)as well.  They do that so that they have control over these other wannabe Olympic sports-- so those sports that can't get in, DON'T mutiny, then band together and stage their own counter-Olympic Games.  So the IOC lends its organization as a subtle way to keep those "other" sports in check.  

The IOC can concentrate on ONLY ONE event a time per season.  Remember, Bach is the only fully salaried member.  All other IOC members are "volunteers," thus their get-togethers are limited to one or 2x a year.  Also, remember why they moved the Winter Games to the other "even" year?  So World Games-Birmingham 2021 will probably NOT happen while the SOGs are on in Tokyo in 2021. The IOC is a very "hands-on," "micro-management" organization.  So just wait.  If they were willing to sacrifice shifting the MAIN EVENT, what's the fallout for also shifting or cancelling an altogether more minor event for them?  And remember, it's NOT just the main body of the SOGs at stake.  There are also the Paralympics (to which the IOC has a contract to support as well) to deal with, which happen a few weeks after the main SOG event.   So I fear, Birmingham 2021 and Eugene 2021 will be two major victims next year.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
On 3/27/2020 at 8:58 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

So I fear, Birmingham 2021 and Eugene 2021 will be two major victims next year.  

I'd add Fukuoka 2021 to that list as well (FINA World Championships).

10 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

It looks like Eugene 2021 will become Eugene 2022 -- so running right up against CWG 2022.  The postponement of Tokyo 2020 will have a whole DOMINO effect on the entire sports calendar.  

Had to happen.  Olympics move a year back and just about everything else needs to get out of their way

12 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

It looks like Eugene 2021 will become Eugene 2022 -- so running right up against CWG 2022.  The postponement of Tokyo 2020 will have a whole DOMINO effect on the entire sports calendar.  

Is there room in the IAAF calendar for the world championships and the CWGs? My guess is if forced to choose the top athletes would go for the world championships.

12 hours ago, stryker said:

Is there room in the IAAF calendar for the world championships and the CWGs? My guess is if forced to choose the top athletes would go for the world championships.

Well, put it this way: half of the world's T&F athletes cannot compete in the CWGs (USA, Russia, China, Germany) -- so those can go to what's now called World Athletics in Eugene 2022.  But if you're a top Aussie, GB, Jamaican or Canadian athlete, then you have to make the individual choice-compete in a weaker field at the CWGs or against the best at Eugene.  I think their performances at Tokyo 2021 will tell them where to compete for 2022.  Or those 4 CWG nations can send the promising newcomers to Worlds and the veterans to CWG before they turn in their towels -- or vice-versa?  

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/25/2020 at 9:18 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

One consequence of moving Tokyo 2020 to 2021 is that the World Games 2021, scheduled for Birmingham, Alabama, would probably be moved up to 2022 in which case it would run smack up against the OTHER Birmingham 2022 (in the UK), the Commonwealth Games.   The World Games are held under the auspices and supervision of the IOC -- so they could not possibly handle both events in the same season.   Thus, unless that is cancelled; the IOC could probably push that up to 2022 -- in which case there would be TWO Birmingham 2022s!!  Good luck in going to the right city then!  :lol:

My biggest fear in singing up for accreditation, booking flights, etc. is that I’ll end up in England :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2020 at 5:39 PM, Olympian1010 said:

My biggest fear in singing up for accreditation, booking flights, etc. is that I’ll end up in England :lol:

You still might -- for 2023!  It seems the University of Birmingham (UK) will now play host in 2023 for the World Games for the Blind.   Whew!  :wub:  That was a close one.  At least the visually-impaired won't be making a mistake in 2023 as to which Birmingham they'll be heading to.  ;)

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1094115/birmingham-2023-ibsa-world-games-host 

Edited by baron-pierreIV
13 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

You still might -- for 2023!  It seems the University of Birmingham (UK) will now play host in 2023 for the World Games for the Blind.   Whew!  :wub:  That was a close one.  At least the visually-impaired won't be making a mistake in 2023 as to which Birmingham they'll be heading to.  ;)

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1094115/birmingham-2023-ibsa-world-games-host 

Thankfully those games aren’t in 2025, because that’s when Birmingham (AL) will host the World Fire and Police Games...

• Like 1