What I expected for the presentation of Paris 2024 at the closing ceremony of Tokyo 2020 is to focus the beginning of France's history. I wanted the ceremonies (including the presentation) to be a trilogy about France's history.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"The Plague" is my favorite book by Camus, and a good read that mirrors a lot of what is happening in the world today. It's actually set in Algeria, though, as Camus was a "pied-noir".

We read it in French class, though it was quite hard at the time to follow fully. I think I still have my copy somewhere, time to go through it again.

I really hope though that by 2024, the world has overcome this "plague". That said, I'm not convinced that we'll have an Olympics (and ceremonies) next year.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope the presentation will not focus on the usual French icons similar to what Beijing 2022 did during the PyeongChang 2018 closing ceremony but rather focus on French history.

• 1 month later...

^^ Given the current times and how liberal most of french society is atm, I doubt they will display history and tradition given a lot of idiots people like to call it reactionary, racist and/or far right these days. They will most likely go to the Diversity approach like Birmighan did in 2018 with their disaster of a handover.

10 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

^^ Given the current times and how liberal most of french society is atm, I doubt they will display history and tradition given a lot of idiots people like to call it reactionary, racist and/or far right these days. They will most likely go to the Diversity approach like Birmighan did in 2018 with their disaster of a handover.

You know, lots of European tradition is indeed based on reactionary and racist foundations. Traditions need to be challenged. There were times, when tradition meant living in a cage or believing  burning someone alive would end their witchcraft.

Ive just read the Original Plant of the apes,by Pierre Boulles,   the Charlton Heston  film is a very good and intelligent interpretation of the book (not identical) but a very good interpretation the ending of the film with the statue of liberty is a very good  abbreviation of the ending in the book.
(Tim Burton film was an insult to the book) but the more recent films are OK and also based on passages in Pierre Boulles  book.
I can see  the statue of liberty in the center of the Olympic stadium may be keeled over sticking out the sand  as in the film, then becoming more upright by the end of the ceremony.