Paris 2024 Presentation

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We read it in French class, though it was quite hard at the time to follow fully. I think I still have my copy somewhere, time to go through it again.

I really hope though that by 2024, the world has overcome this "plague". That said, I'm not convinced that we'll have an Olympics (and ceremonies) next year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

^^ Given the current times and how liberal most of french society is atm, I doubt they will display history and tradition given a lot of idiots people like to call it reactionary, racist and/or far right these days. They will most likely go to the Diversity approach like Birmighan did in 2018 with their disaster of a handover.

10 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

^^ Given the current times and how liberal most of french society is atm, I doubt they will display history and tradition given a lot of idiots people like to call it reactionary, racist and/or far right these days. They will most likely go to the Diversity approach like Birmighan did in 2018 with their disaster of a handover.

You know, lots of European tradition is indeed based on reactionary and racist foundations. Traditions need to be challenged. There were times, when tradition meant living in a cage or believing  burning someone alive would end their witchcraft.

Ive just read the Original Plant of the apes,by Pierre Boulles,   the Charlton Heston  film is a very good and intelligent interpretation of the book (not identical) but a very good interpretation the ending of the film with the statue of liberty is a very good  abbreviation of the ending in the book.
(Tim Burton film was an insult to the book) but the more recent films are OK and also based on passages in Pierre Boulles  book.
I can see  the statue of liberty in the center of the Olympic stadium may be keeled over sticking out the sand  as in the film, then becoming more upright by the end of the ceremony.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think the organizers will probably try to show a "new France" just like Britain showed itself as a new multicultural society in the London 2012 ceremonies. As much I am interested in the history of the city from Roman Lutece/Lutetia to the Haussmann renovations of Paris and the belle epoque, I think that the French people and government are more interested in where their country is headed in the future than the long dead past.

On 12/13/2020 at 8:30 AM, lilly said:

Yes I too hope that they will show and tell the rich history of France and maybe even focus on the renaissance and baroq times. France has so much to tell and im excited for their presentation.

Bonjour Lilly. Vous'etes Francais?

18 hours ago, Nacre said:

I think the organizers will probably try to show a "new France" just like Britain showed itself as a new multicultural society in the London 2012 ceremonies. As much I am interested in the history of the city from Roman Lutece/Lutetia to the Haussmann renovations of Paris and the belle epoque, I think that the French people and government are more interested in where their country is headed in the future than the long dead past.

Bonjour Lilly. Vous'etes Francais?

Bonjour, no im not french im from Austria :)

• 4 weeks later...

No matter what, I am looking forward to the presentation.

On 7/10/2020 at 10:34 PM, Ikarus360 said:

I feel like you could be right. At leats this is the approach I would choose.

I also agree to most of the comments. Focusing only on history or tradition might could narrow down the actual meaning of the Olympics rings. I hope they will present something that represents diversity or at least something that combines the five continents together. Of course it would not be be wrong to introduce their country, however the focus should not be on the country itself only.

But i am also excited of what they will be offering at last.

• 5 weeks later...

Paris 2024 to "study the feasibility" of city-centre Opening Ceremony locations

Credit: Inside The Games   By Philip Barker

Sunday, 31 January 2021

Paris 2024 organisers have admitted they are considering holding all or part of the Opening Ceremonies for their Games in the heart of the city.

"We want to study the feasibility," said Paris 2024 chief of staff Michaël Aloïsio, per Francs Jeux.

"The question will be whether it is possible to go from the concept of a ceremony with a few tens of thousands of spectators, in a stadium, to an event much larger for the general public.

"The subject is very complex. 

"The reflection involves a large number of stakeholders, especially at the state level."

If the idea were adopted, the Avenue des Champs-Élysées would seem the obvious location.

Aloïsio did not rule using the Stade de France but suggested that with Opening and Closing Ceremonies for both Olympic and Paralympic Games to consider, organisers could "break boundaries".

The concept is said to be supported by Paris 2024 President Tony Estanguet.

International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach had expressed his enthusiasm for the idea in the wake of the Buenos Aires 2018 Youth Olympics, which opened on the Avenida 9 de Julio.

"I was imagining what such kind of Opening Ceremony in the centre of a city, in a landmark place of a city, would mean for the Olympic Games," said Bach of festivities which took place against the backdrop of the famous Obelisk landmark in the city centre stage.

Organisers claimed that there were some 200,000 in attendance.

"Not inviting people to come and watch an Opening Ceremony, but to be there and celebrate with us, this Olympic spirit .

"I hope sincerely that the friends from Paris have heard this message loud and clear," Bach added.

At all three Winter Youth Olympics to date, all or part of the Closing Ceremony has taken part in the public areas of the city.

An Olympic Opening Ceremony has also begun outside the stadium before. 

In 1988, a flotilla of traditional craft on the Han River was the first thing television viewers saw at the start of the highly acclaimed Seoul Opening Ceremony.

More recently the final resting point for the Olympic Flame has been in a city location. 

Vancouver started the trend at the Winter Games of 2010 and in Rio de Janeiro, it burned throughout the Games at Candelaria in the centre of the city.

In France, a city-centre opening has already been tried. 

At the Nice 2013 Francophone Games, 54 teams marched into an Opening Ceremony at the Place Massena. 

The Games were opened by French President Francois Hollande and organisers claimed "the teams were acclaimed and applauded by the crowds in a demonstration of the diversity of the Francophone world, its colours and its youth."

There had been plans for the Napoli 2019 Universiade Closing Ceremony to be held in the city’s Piazza Plebiscito but these were shelved and the event relocated to the Stadio San Paolo.

The last Olympic Opening Ceremony to take place on French soil was for the 1992 Albertville Winter Olympics.

It polarised artistic opinion with avant garde aerial displays and announcements in rhyming couplets, although organisers claimed: "The ceremonies, particularly the opening ceremony, were a large factor in the success of the Games."

It was choreographed by Philippe Decouflé who had devised dance sequences for the 200th anniversary celebrations of the French revolution. 

These were held on the Champs-Élysées.

• 1 month later...

Are they crazy?  Do they really think even the French president's Secret Service will accede to such an idea where the environment is NOT contained/controlled as in an enclosed stadium?  I doubt that the IOC's own insurance company would be happy with an "open-street" setting?  I don't think they will get many heads of state coming as guests.  

On 4/3/2021 at 1:38 PM, stryker said:

How much longer can Paris pretend this idea for a city-centre, multiple site opening ceremony, a viable option, never mind the logistics and security challenges. 

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1105892/paris-2024-estanguet-seine-ceremony

That's why -- when was the last war France ever won on its own against equals? 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...