VANOC CEO Pushes For Vancouver 2030 Winter Olympic Bid

Former CEO of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games John Furlong Thursday urged the business community to back a bid to host again in 2030. Inspired by the 10th anniversary memories of the 2010 edition, Furlong discussed his vision for a second Games in front of the Vancouver Board of Trade. “I think what’s really […]

The post VANOC CEO Pushes For Vancouver 2030 Winter Olympic Bid appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

Innsbruck hosted in 1964 and 1976 with an interval of only 12 years, but that was due to Denver refusing to host after being selected. St. Moritz hosted with only a 20 year interval between 1928 and 1948, but that was in another age. In the current environment with the IOC preaching the re-use of existing venues who can say how they would react to Vancouver hosting again so soon after 2010. 

The other side is much more interesting. Why would Vancouver want to host again? It is a truly herculean effort to host, and you don't gain as much economic or PR benefit from hosting as boosters think. So would Vancouver actually be up for hosting again?

• Like 1

Back when it looked like the Calgary bid would via a referendum I mentioned the idea of Canada giving another go at the WOGs with Vancouver. It makes sense. They have everything in place from 2010 with the exception of an Olympic Village and the need for a speed skating oval. since the Richmond Oval cannot be repurposed if memory serves me correctly. Vancouver could easily use the one in Calgary. The question is of course whether or not Vancouver would want to host again as has been mentioned.

20 minutes ago, stryker said:

Back when it looked like the Calgary bid would via a referendum I mentioned the idea of Canada giving another go at the WOGs with Vancouver. It makes sense. They have everything in place from 2010 with the exception of an Olympic Village and the need for a speed skating oval. since the Richmond Oval cannot be repurposed if memory serves me correctly. Vancouver could easily use the one in Calgary. The question is of course whether or not Vancouver would want to host again as has been mentioned.

They will just need to build a new curling centre and Speed Staking oval, They should move it closer to the down town area they could build a complex around Trillium Park or next door between the 2010 Games Village and Cambie Bridge they will need to find a location for the games village.

A Vancouver Canada 2030 Games could open up a Stockholm Sweden to host the 2034 Winter Games after the Paris 2024 Summer Games Italian 2026 Winter Games Sweden could be more open to host the Winter Games in a more compact plan like their 2022 winter bid. 

5 hours ago, Olympianfan said:

They will just need to build a new curling centre and Speed Staking oval, They should move it closer to the down town area they could build a complex around Trillium Park or next door between the 2010 Games Village and Cambie Bridge they will need to find a location for the games village.

A Vancouver Canada 2030 Games could open up a Stockholm Sweden to host the 2034 Winter Games after the Paris 2024 Summer Games Italian 2026 Winter Games Sweden could be more open to host the Winter Games in a more compact plan like their 2022 winter bid. 

11aff03b5610b40082f9218bd21a29c0.jpg

On 2/21/2020 at 6:58 PM, Olympianfan said:

Why would Vancouver need a speed skating oval? If they did, they would've kept the one at Richmond. It would be a waste of money to build another so soon after repurposing the 2010 venue. A better more financially feasible option is using the oval in Calgary. If Paris can have surfing halfway around the world in Tahiti, then I am sure the IOC would have no problem with a Vancouver bid using the Calgary oval (remember Calgary's failed bid relied on the ski jumps in Whistler). In terms of a curling venue, no need to build anything new either. Langley Events Centre or another suitable indoor venue would suffice. Regardless of what becomes of Vancouver's Olympics ambition, I do believe that it's only a matter of time before Vancouver and Whistler replace WinSport at Calgary as Canada's primary winter sports training centre with the exception of speed skating. A future bid would give Vancouver the opportunity to touch up the 2010 venues for that purpose.

With Hamilton also pushing for a CWGs, would this take precedence over a second WOGs bid in the same year? I cannot see Canada trying for both.

I think that they could re-use the one in Richmond. AFAIK the building itself was not reconstructed after the event, only the individual rooms repurposed to turn it into a community center. It should be easy to turn it back into a speed skating oval if the people in Richmond want to do that. The question is whether they want to give up their community center to host the Olympics.