Welcome in Salzburg and Austria

rolilau

I think the favouritism was more than just that. If anything, I think it was more that both had put in repeat bids, geopolitics, tradition and "rotation" seemed to favour them. I think the venues were seen as more the icing for them.

I'd be interested to know how many winning bid cities are 2nd, 3rd or 4th timers and how many are first timers like London and Sochi.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I would have to dig in my archives for stats of earliest edition of the Games but starting in 1984, we have:

• LA 84: elected on their 3rd back to back bid (although by the time it was elected, LA was the only candidate)
  • Calgary 88: elected on its fourth bid (I think)
  • Seoul 88: elected on 1st bid (but the other candidate, Nagoya, was also presenting its first bid)
  • Albertville 92: first bid (but linked to Paris / Barcelona thing)
  • Barcelona 92: fifth bid
  • Lillehammer 94: 2nd back to back bid
  • Atlanta 96: 1st bid
  • Nagano 98: 1st bid
  • Sydney: 1st bid (but 3rd Australian bid in a row)
  • Salt Lake 2002: 2nd back to back bid (plus previous bids in the 60s 70s if I remember well) but 4th bid in a row from the US for the winter games
  • Athens 2004: 2nd bid
  • Torino 2006: 1st bid (but Italy had presented bids for 1988, 92, 98 and 2002)
  • Beijing 2008: 2nd bid
  • Vancouver 2010: 1st recent bid
  • London 2012: 1st bid (but UK presented bids for 1992, 96 and 2000)
  • Sochi 2014: 2nd official bid after 2002 but first presentation to a Session

Well, you got Calgary right there. The rest of the list is pretty much right, except for some disputed claims.

First, didn't Atlanta try to get the Games way back in 1920?

Second, yes, the Vancouver 2010 bid was the recent bid. The key word here is recent. You see, I think they were in the running for the 1980 Winter Olympics, but dropped out at the last moment, before the official vote. Also, I think it was a contender to be the alternate host for 1976, when Denver gave back the Winter Olympics to the IOC.

First, didn't Atlanta try to get the Games way back in 1920?

Yes,Atlanta is listed as an official bidder for the 1920 Olympics which were hosted by Antwerp.

Second, yes, the Vancouver 2010 bid was the recent bid. The key word here is recent. You see, I think they were in the running for the 1980 Winter Olympics, but dropped out at the last moment, before the official vote. Also, I think it was a contender to be the alternate host for 1976, when Denver gave back the Winter Olympics to the IOC.

Vancouver-Garibaldi was actually an official bidder for the 1976 Winter Games but received only 9 votes in the 1st Round and was eliminated.(Denver won in the 3rd round beating Sion,Switzerland and Tampere,Finland).

Well, I would have to dig in my archives for stats of earliest edition of the Games but starting in 1984, we have:
  • LA 84: elected on their 3rd back to back bid (although by the time it was elected, LA was the only candidate)
  • Calgary 88: elected on its fourth bid (I think)
  • Seoul 88: elected on 1st bid (but the other candidate, Nagoya, was also presenting its first bid)
  • Albertville 92: first bid (but linked to Paris / Barcelona thing)
  • Barcelona 92: fifth bid
  • Lillehammer 94: 2nd back to back bid
  • Atlanta 96: 1st bid
  • Nagano 98: 1st bid
  • Sydney: 1st bid (but 3rd Australian bid in a row)
  • Salt Lake 2002: 2nd back to back bid (plus previous bids in the 60s 70s if I remember well) but 4th bid in a row from the US for the winter games
  • Athens 2004: 2nd bid
  • Torino 2006: 1st bid (but Italy had presented bids for 1988, 92, 98 and 2002)
  • Beijing 2008: 2nd bid
  • Vancouver 2010: 1st recent bid
  • London 2012: 1st bid (but UK presented bids for 1992, 96 and 2000)
  • Sochi 2014: 2nd official bid after 2002 but first presentation to a Session

Pretty even in recent times between first timers and multiple bidders. Interesting.

Archived