Welcome in Salzburg and Austria

rolilau

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really enjoyed Eisriesenwelt!!!! It was quite the hike jsut to get up there, but it really is a stunning piece of nature. B)

Now I wanna go back!!

The office of the International Biathlon Union has been established in Salzburg, Austria, since 1993. As Salzburg is situated at a central place in Middle Europe, many venues of the sport of Biathlon, and a number of important partners from the media and economy as well, can be reached in a less than three hours drive.

In addition to very good traffic connections and a good general infrastructure, Austria offers a favourable environment needed by an international sports federation to exercise its various activities.

Competitions, preparatory training, activities regarding biathlon, meetings, conferences and decisions occur all year around all over the world.

The IBU Headquarters headed by the IBU Secretary General is responsible for a comprehensive and versatile catalogue of tasks in preparing and implementing the decisions made by the Congress, the Executive Boards and the various committees.

At the same time, the office acts all year long as the point of contact for the IOC, the international and national federations, organising committees, media representatives and other international sports authorities to pass on information to various target groups.

(www.biathlonworld.com)

According to the website the headquarter just changed its place in Salzburg, but it was there since the foundation.

Rolilau, I didn't know that the International Biathlon Union (IBU) is now HQed in Salzburg. Where was it located before?

Sorry, false reply

• 1 month later...

Winter in Austria

Very early the winter came to Austria this year. Above all the region Salzburg got up to 40cm snow in the last days. The skiregions are very happy and hope to open in the next weeks. Some towns like Mondsee, Radstadt and St.Johann im Pongau have the highest snow they ever had at the beginning of november. Here are some pictures:

ketten031106_ap.jpg

116255112985541300_MondseeSteeg.jpg

TT_kitzschnee23a-gross.jpg

Austrian women off to a flying start in the World Cup season in slalom:

Link: CBC: Austrian Sweep World Cup Slalom

Yes, this weekend was a full success for the Austrian skiteam. After the triple victory from yesterday, with Marlies Schild as clear winner, her boyfriend Benjamin Raich won today's Men Slalom, in Levi (FIN). As Schild the day before, Raich won clearly - with the fastest time in both runs. Markus Larsson (SWE) and Giorgio Rocca (ITA) finished as second and third.

ski_popup_sieger_b_a.jpg

Larsson, Raich, Rocca

499337de0c.jpg

Zettel, Schild, Hosp

f69ac0a3f8.jpg

Marlies Schild and Benjamin Raich

Well, here's the CBC take on Raich's win in Levi:

Link: CBC: Austria's Raich Wins Slalom Opener

Note: By the way, rolilau, should your signature about Salzburg 2014 have the word CANDIDATE instead of APPLICANT there because it is one of three finalist cities for those Games?

Well, here's the CBC take on Raich's win in Levi:

Link: CBC: Austria's Raich Wins Slalom Opener

Note: By the way, rolilau, should your signature about Salzburg 2014 have the word CANDIDATE instead of APPLICANT there because it is one of three finalist cities for those Games?

I made an update, thanks for your hint, guardian. When Salzburg became candidate city, I din't find a good logo and then I just forgot.

This is unbelievable. I cannot remember a time, when an Austrian was NOT on a podium in the men's downhill event in Lake Louise, Alberta:

Link: BBC: Buechel Off To A Flyer In Canada

However, Kathrin Zettel was another story in Aspen, Colorado:

Link: BBC: Zettel Seals Debut World Cup Win

The unbelievable continues in Lake Louise, Alberta. Even though Austrian Mario Scheiber came so close to winning the Super-G yesterday, he was beaten of all people a Calgarian, who had a previous best 15th-place finish before:

Link: CBC: Calgarian Kucera Skis To Gold

By the way, it is only the second time ever that a Canadian won a World Cup ski event in Lake Louise history.

As for the Austrian women, it was Schild that led the way again. This time, it was at Aspen, Colorado:

Link: CBC: Austrian Wins 2nd Straight Slalom

Austrian women are doing sensational this year, even last year's record could be beaten. For the men, it's good that many countries show their strength, so the Alpine World Cup becomes more interesting again. I think Canada will have a very good team for the Olympic Games in Vancouver - they show for some years.

Austrian women are doing sensational this year, even last year's record could be beaten. For the men, it's good that many countries show their strength, so the Alpine World Cup becomes more interesting again. I think Canada will have a very good team for the Olympic Games in Vancouver - they show for some years.

I can see that. Talk about those Austrian women doing very well so far internationally, despite that the real first World Cup event in Austria was cancelled because of the weather. Rolilau, what is going on over there? Austria is not getting any good amounts of snow lately? If that's the case, then it is completely the opposite scenario where I am now: snow everywhere, about a -25C ambient temperature with windchills of about -40C right now. Like, this is occurring in the city as I am typing this post.

After the very hard winter last year, with snow in the valleys from Mid of November to the End of March, we have the opposite this year. The races in Sölden were cancelled because of heavy rainfalls (in 2500m +) just a few days before. Then we had the first snow also in the deeper regions in the first November week, when the tourism regions were happy and hoped to open the ski regions End of November. Alpine and Nordic ski sportsmen and -women came to Austria to do their training. But now we have a typical weather (but for too long time) with very warm southwinds and positive temperatures up to 3500 meters. Only a few skiregions could open. If the weather changes until 8th of December (holiday in Austria) and at least the mountain regions get snow it's no catastrophe (we see this every few years). I heard that the races of St.Moritz (Switzerland) are also in danger.

Although there is a lack of snow, the "Christkindl-markets" have opened their doors in Austria's cities. The most famous Christmas markets are situated in Vienna, Salzburg and Graz.

In Vienna the season for Christkindlmarkt started Nov 18th. People from all over the world visit the market and buy candied fruits, Christmas punch and little souvenirs from the wooden market. It is situated in front of the civil council.

markt1.jpg

krippe1.jpg

Christkindlmarkt Vienna

One week later "Salzburger Christkindlmarkt" started around the Cathedral in the Old Town of Salzburg. The atmosphere is unique. People can walk through the markets at the Old Town places and have a wonderful view to Salzburg Cathedral, the Forteress and St.Peter's Church.

82608297f5.jpg

e4a6217f88.jpg

680e6f768f.jpg

Christkindlmarkt Salzburg

Graz has also opened the Christkindlmarkt. Next Saturday the Ice Crib with about 50 tons of crystal clear ice will be ready at Landhaushof.

Eiskrippe%202004.jpg

Advent in Graz

There are also many small markets all over Austria.

After the very hard winter last year, with snow in the valleys from Mid of November to the End of March, we have the opposite this year. The races in Sölden were cancelled because of heavy rainfalls (in 2500m +) just a few days before. Then we had the first snow also in the deeper regions in the first November week, when the tourism regions were happy and hoped to open the ski regions End of November. Alpine and Nordic ski sportsmen and -women came to Austria to do their training. But now we have a typical weather (but for too long time) with very warm southwinds and positive temperatures up to 3500 meters. Only a few skiregions could open. If the weather changes until 8th of December (holiday in Austria) and at least the mountain regions get snow it's no catastrophe (we see this every few years). I heard that the races of St.Moritz (Switzerland) are also in danger.

I heard that, too. I just hope that the European ski resorts are okay over there and they have a good ski season.

The preparations for the biathlon World Cup in Hochfilzen - by the way part of the Olympic concept for the 2006 bid - are running. Tons of snow are brought from the Großglockner street to the village. The World Cup events are planned for the weekend from Dec 8th to 10th.

schneefraese300_big.jpg

schneetransport300_big.jpg

I heard that, too. I just hope that the European ski resorts are okay over there and they have a good ski season.

Rolilau, it seems that the World Cup events for Val d'Isere and St. Moritz have been cancelled. :(

Hochfilzen is about 1000 metres above sea level - and yes, it is as green there. Under 1400 metres there is no or in some special regions very less snow. The snow comes from the Großglockner street from nearly 3000 metres. The biggest problem is not that there is no snow in that sea levels, but it is too warm. A production of snow isn't possible. We had 22° C in some "Foehn" (=southwind) valleys in the last days. Even in 3000 metres temperatures were over 0° C.

But we have every few years a later start into the winter, last years snow was not normal. I'm sure we have a wonderful winter atmosphere at least in January.

And the Val d' Isere Alpine World Cup is already cancelled!

The World Cup Calender gets changed because of the weather situation in Europe. Just saw the pictures from the Lillehammer Nordic Combined competition - no snow there, just a white skijumping hill!!! :blink:

The men races from Val d'Isere can't be hold in Beaver Creek, not because of a lack of snow, but because of lack of money!!! So, the Austrian Ski Federation (OeSV) searched for places in Austria and found three possibilities with Soelden (glacier), Flachau (part of Salzburg 2014) and Reiteralm (Schladming). The Men's Super Combination will be organised at Reiteralm next Sunday. This region saved the snow from the beginning of November and now profits, as one of only few ski areas with opened pists. For the (in St.Moritz cancelled) Women's races, there are two possbillities according to the FIS: Reiteralm (Austria) or Panorama Mountains (Canada).

bild2.jpg

The Reiteralm pists are prepared since the beginning of November. Skiteams made their training. The pists are opened for the public since mid of November.

By the way the Austrian World Cup events in Hochfilzen (biathlon) and Ramsau (nordic combined) are ensured!

Oh, do you mean the Panorama ski resort in BC? It's possible, but would it be great to have such alpine events in the Whistler area as a quadrennial ski season plan for the 2010 Winter Olympics?

Archived