How does the surfing event factor into future bids?

MisterSG1

Not sure where to put this topic but anyways

The surfing event as I understand it will make certain geographical bids possible.

For instance, it would be impossible as I understand it to hold a surfing event in a landlocked country.

Consider a hypothetical Toronto bid, how could a bid be possible? Is it possible to hold the surfing event in British Columbia? It would seem extremely awkward to have a surfing event over 3000 miles away from the host city.

The same issue would arise with a Chicago bid.

Has there been any discussion about this on the site.

....candidate soon will propose man made surf venue similar to the white water stuff that is standard now. All it takes is $$$ if you don't have a beach.

Kelly Slater has been working on the stuff for a while....I'm sure other have too.

The Surf Ranch

klein_2018_surf_ranch_wsl_06390.jpg

6091a7d8-131b-484e-abfa-04c8b8c24b70-large16x9_surf.PNG?1525371443678

4cc00c63df3bccc6044ebf9cf56d0406.jpg

We’ll, landlocked countries have always had to solve the sailing problem as well, and I’m sure the IOC would be prepared to get creative to sort it out.

Am i the only one who really likes Paris’ surfing plan for Tahiti? I think it’s a great idea - what am location! And from what i read they’d planned to do it early in the games then fly the surfers to Paris for the second week tho enjoy some quality getting down times in the Olympic village

Tahiti is just dumb....France has surf beaches.

I actually think surfing is just dumb at the Olympics. It is an elite sport, not wildly practiced, confined to those with access to appropriate shorelines. Remember this is the IOC that (briefly) dumped wrestling- a national sport of rich and poor through much of the world.

....olympic surfing sounds really cool but i probably agree with that.......going to tahiti sounds absolutely insane.....a new sport and lets hold it at the farthest point from the host city just cuz ummmm cuz ya know it won't be a pretentious IOC surf federation holiday in Tahiti cash burn at all.