time is passing by

ghost1

I think that for 2014 the European candidates like Salzburg, Sochi, Sofia and Jaca do not have the best chances. PC and Almaty (?) maybe before them. So for the next bid 2018 the Europeans should be the strongest candidates. Salzburg seems not ot have the power, knowledge and speed to go on top before PC.

But this is just geopolitics - technical aspects are something different, I don't think Almaty will make the shortlist

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that for 2014 the European candidates like Salzburg, Sochi, Sofia and Jaca do not have the best chances. PC and Almaty (?) maybe before them. So for the next bid 2018 the Europeans should be the strongest candidates. Salzburg seems not ot have the power, knowledge and speed to go on top before PC.

Zenica _ you must be the most pessimistic person on this board!

LOl _ for a place where most bid supporters tend to be too blindly optimistic or over entusiastic about their favourite bids' chances, you must be the only one convinced that your favourite candidate WON'T win.

Salzburg has a great chance. 2014 is not set in stone for Asia. In fact, going by past trends, Europe always gets the lion's share of Winter games hostings and apart from 1998-2002, Europe usually at least gets every second winter games. PyeongChang's support seems to be based mainly on the fact it did better than expected in the 2010 race. That was at a time when Korea had a powerful senior member of the IOC. It will probably find it a much tougher race this time. Indeed, many people already consider that Salzburg is the real favourite for 2014, with maybe Sofia and Sochi as being the main challengers.

No-one will know how the race really ends up before Rogge reads the winner's name in Guatemala City next year. Some of us will guess right, and a lot will guess wrong. In the meantime, it would be a mistake for anybody to write any of the bids off.

Zenica _ you must be the most pessimistic person on this board!

LOl _ for a place where most bid supporters tend to be too blindly optimistic or over entusiastic about their favourite bids' chances, you must be the only one convinced that your favourite candidate WON'T win.

Thank you for these words!!!!!  :;):

May I remember you on Atlanta with it´s big supporters like CocaCola? Pyoeng Chang is the same. 2010 PC only lost by a few points, like Sydney, Athens and Beijing. All of them were elected in the next period. So I think PC will go the same way. Salzburg has a chance, sure. But I´m not sure they know what ways they have to use to make more out of this chance.

May I remember you on Atlanta with it´s big supporters like CocaCola? Pyoeng Chang is the same. 2010 PC only lost by a few points, like Sydney, Athens and Beijing. All of them were elected in the next period. So I think PC will go the same way. Salzburg has a chance, sure. But I´m not sure they know what ways they have to use to make more out of this chance.

Two pints.

* Sydney had not bidded or been defeated before (except in the preliminary Australian decisions about which city to bid with for 1996). The 2000 bid was Sydney's first and only shot at the big one.

* PyeongChang is different from Athens and Beijing in that it was never an expected favourite that lost a close vote. PyeongChang was rather a bid that no-one had heard about before, nobody expected much from and which surprised everyone when they did so well.

I just question whether you really support Salzburg or not. You say you're a supporter, but it seems more like you are hoping for it to lose so that your favourite, Munich, can have a better shot at 2018. I'd just like to know who do you really WANT as host for 2014?

Hey, NYC had NBC behind them, and did NYC win 2012.

Today is Mozart´s 250th birthday.Salzburg has passed a lot of opportunities. It´s not a problem of Salzburg, it´s a problem of the people leading the OC. It´s like 1997 when tehy failed in the Austrian bid run against Carinthia. Against strong candidates like PC, Sochi, Sofia or Jaca they have not the best cards. All others will spend a lot more money than Salzburg. The way Salzburg is doing the job seems not to be succesfull for me. They have to do more actions in other areas, not only the mainstream-things. Actually I see better chances for Munich for 2018. I would like to support Salzburg but I don´t want to support the actual behaviours Salzburg is showing.

I don´t think a lot of people have the same opinion like you regarding Salzburg´s chance.

Short question: why Salzburg´s OC didn´t use Mozart´s birthday yesterday to be more present in public. Other bid cities would have used these chances - not Salzburg.

There is so much time, and Salzburg concentrate´s on a technical perfect bid, in the moment. I also would like more present in the public, but that will become better, when having the candidate city status. The favourites are still Salzburg and Pyeongchang. And the chances for Salzburg winning this time are much, much bigger than for 2010!

And don´t forget, Salzburg wants a concentration on sports this time, and not too much on culture anymore. Mozart, music and the bid didn´t work for the last two bids!

There is so much time, and Salzburg concentrate´s on a technical perfect bid, in the moment. I also would like more present in the public, but that will become better, when having the candidate city status. The favourites are still Salzburg and Pyeongchang. And the chances for Salzburg winning this time are much, much bigger than for 2010!

And don´t forget, Salzburg wants a concentration on sports this time, and not too much on culture anymore. Mozart, music and the bid didn´t work for the last two bids!

I think its better for Salzburg that they don't use Mozart/music this time, because Olympics are mainly about sports and that's what they need to promote

Mozart brings Salzburg this year about 30 million Euro additional because of the anniversary.

All the other bid cities also concentrate on sports. All of them will be equiped perfectly at the end (don´t forget the huge amounts they want to spend). But what about charisma? Salzburg got a first class second place in 2010. But that´s not enough.

When all bid cities got best quotations for the technical thing, the executive committee will decide on other factors and the field for manipulations as in the past is wide open. Salzburg hast to take it´s bid in both hands and should not trust in other people. They have to do a lot of work in other areas to convince IOC that there is only one winner: Salzburg. That´s why I´m very pessimistic for Salzburg today.

Sometimes it´s important to gain experience, i.e. Borjomi. But if you are in a bid period the 3rd time you are here to win not only be part of the bid. That´s the major difference between winners and loosers.

That's right - actually most of the host's got the Games after their 2,5 bid

I don´t think a lot of people have the same opinion like you regarding Salzburg´s chance.

Short question: why Salzburg´s OC didn´t use Mozart´s birthday yesterday to be more present in public. Other bid cities would have used these chances - not Salzburg.

Yeah, Mozart's birthday is a big deal for Salzburg _ but it's got nothing to do with a Winter Games. In fact, by the time the vote comes up in 2007, the birthday will be long forgotten.And anyway, which IOC member in their right mind would vote on the basis "I'm going to choose Salzburg because it was Mozart's birthday 18 months ago!"

Get it in your mind, Zenica, the general public do NOT cfhoose the hosts. The IOC do. They are the ones that must be courted and impressed, and most of the courting and impressing of them is done far out of the public eye. In fact, most bidders wouldn't want to publicise what they are doing in that area _ they certainly wouldn't want their rivals to know.

Anyway, talk about Charisma. I think most people well know that Salzburg has charisma in spades. It is probably already that charisma that has led to people and groups like Around the Rings to already put Salzburg as favourite for 2014.

For me in the actual phase Salzburg is ot the favorite, it´s PC. In the past sport was the ost important. But today other criterias count more when it comes to a decision. There are many factors that will decide over a host city or a looser city. You haveto tink that way. In Austia there are some people like Mr. Schröcksnadel who wanted to have the Games in Salzburg, because of his own financial interests. To win with only sport arguments - no chance.

For me in the actual phase Salzburg is ot the favorite, it´s PC. In the past sport was the ost important. But today other criterias count more when it comes to a decision. There are many factors that will decide over a host city or a looser city. You haveto tink that way. In Austia there are some people like Mr. Schröcksnadel who wanted to have the Games in Salzburg, because of his own financial interests. To win with only sport arguments - no chance.

Mr Schröcksnadel didn´t want the Games in Salzburg, he wanted Innsbruck, because he owns pists and he skijump, there!

Speaking of the way this topic is named, today is the deadline for Salzburg to hand in the answers to the IOC questionnaire. Of course, barring a major disaster, Salzburg should be able to be a candidate city later on in June.

Speaking of the way this topic is named, today is the deadline for Salzburg to hand in the answers to the IOC questionnaire. Of course, barring a major disaster, Salzburg should be able to be a candidate city later on in June.

As of now, yes, Salzburg are favourites, it's more interesting if PC is really that strong as everybody is talking about

Archived