time is passing by

ghost1

And, we can only read what those mini-bid books are trying to convey to us about their possible ideas of hosting the Winter Olympics one day, if not in 2014, then later. We will all have our pros and cons with what each book has to say about their potentials.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just looking at the minis for the first time, it appears that all bids are perfect, every one of them should be awarded with the Games. "Reading between the lines" (there's such expression in bulgarian) shows that some of the plans aren't that feasible, some bids will have issues in transportation, accomodation,... And the third step is the BidIndex, which is to underline the differences between the bidders

Of course, the most important step is the shortlist, but that's

136 days, 14 hours, 24 minutes and 56 seconds
away!

It´s clear that all bid books look perfect. Would you sell a car and say, that it has problems with the gear?

All of the bid cities are working hard for the bid, so how to measure what´s the difference? Let the people do their job. Some of them will never know why they lost a third time (or a seventh ort nineth one).

It´s clear that all bid books look perfect. Would you sell a car and say, that it has problems with the gear?

All of the bid cities are working hard for the bid, so how to measure what´s the difference? Let the people do their job. Some of them will never know why they lost a third time (or a seventh ort nineth one).

Not all - Almaty, Borjomi and Sofia haven't released their minis yet. And while we have confirmation from the Sofia commitee that the book will be available early this week - we don't know anything about the others

Not all - Almaty, Borjomi and Sofia haven't released their minis yet. And while we have confirmation from the Sofia commitee that the book will be available early this week - we don't know anything about the others

And what I wanted to say - mini are very important - but also the general matketing of the bid -

Almaty's site hasn't been updated and since it went online thete is only the picture

Borjomi has info, but also hasn't been updated since ages.

Sofia has more info and was updated at last on 20 January 2005. But the Sofia site doesn't offer too much, so we hope the mini is released soon

PC = PR. Simply the have the best marketing strategy with the great site and the regural updates and the events they participate in

Salzburg - not that bad site, but as of PR ctions - not much

Sochi - aggressive PR strategy, but we need to see if this isn't just a big PR-baloon. For example we saw in the mini that only 27% of the venues are complete, none of the ice venues are existing

Jaca - well, the site appears to be fantastic, but it's only in spanish for now

Jaca - well, the site appears to be fantastic, but it's only in spanish for now

Yes, you are right. I am spanish and I can say you that the website is great. It is being updated diary since it was available.

In the website there are many news, and some pictures, the information about the bid, the city... is OK, now with the minibook the information is already more.

I hope that it is soon available in English so that you can enjoy it.

I think that only PC's website is better, Sochi's one looks great but I think that it is only appearance.

• 1 month later...
Ah but Zenica, weren't you the one that was concerned Salzburg wasn't doing enough, was starting the race too slowly and that a city couldn't win if it left all its campaigning to the end. Instead it appears to be starting the strongest of all the candidates. Once again, you are just showing that you are anti-Salzburg.

Paris also was a long time No. 1 on Bid Index but did´t win. This is no real sin for winning the race

I think Salzburg knows best, that those indexes don´t say, who will win. Salzburg was Gamesbids´ Nr.1 in the 2010 race at the end. This index shows that Salzburg´s bid is technically very strong - and it is, indeed!

Agreed. The technical thing is not the only import in the bid race.

Actually, both the GamesBids and ATR indexes measure more than just the technical side of the bids _ both also try to factor in the intangibles like geopolitics and "spirit".

And I´m happy that for 2018 Munich will go in the bid race.

Not if Salzburg wins 2014.

And, to think, both Germany and Austria are trying to get the 2009 Special Olympics World Winter Games, after Sarajevo bowed out of hosting it.

• 2 weeks later...
Fedor Radmann´s opinon is that he will get the Games only with sport aspects, but that´s utopic. A regular bid has more parts that count for the IOC members. When Radmann will join Salzburg after WorldCup in Germany, there is not a lot of time to do the job. Salzburg´s bid has to include all aspects like economic, sport and culture. We should not forget that Germany has got WorldCup only because of one vote of a member of New Zealand. But I don´t mind because of other opinions. As in the past the timing of Salzburgs bid seems not to fit. Although their bid is ok and they have my sympathy they will reach only the second place.

Fedor Radmann´s opinon is that he will get the Games only with sport aspects, but that´s utopic. A regular bid has more parts that count for the IOC members. When Radmann will join Salzburg after WorldCup in Germany, there is not a lot of time to do the job. Salzburg´s bid has to include all aspects like economic, sport and culture. We should not forget that Germany has got WorldCup only because of one vote of a member of New Zealand. But I don´t mind because of other opinions. As in the past the timing of Salzburgs bid seems not to fit. Although their bid is ok and they have my sympathy they will reach only the second place.

The timing doesn't seem to fit??!!?? If anything the timing fits far better than 2010. As has been pointed out many a time here, Europe tends to get every second Winter Games. With 2010 destined for Vancouver, the timing for a Salzburg bid couln't get any better (and the bid followers like GamesBids, ATR and the bookies seem to agree).

Munich will be a big favorite for hosting the Winter Games 2018 as they have excellent chances when they don´t pass by their chances

With my background, I've always had a sentimental soft spot for Germany and when it was first suggested by Munich two years ago, I was open and enthusiastic to the idea of a Munich winter games. Having just last month visited Munich and Garmisch-Partenkirchen and having been to Berchtesgaden in the past few years, I'm now not so sure. I know this seems to be the trend for winter hosts _ a large central anchor city and snow events spread out _ but as Torino showed, such a formula does seem to sap the event of a lot of the passion and spirit that the games should engender. I love Munich, I think it's a great city and the idea of it being the first city to host both summer and winter games has some appeal, but being there on the ground made me realise that having such an event spread over such a wide area may not be in the best interests of olympism. That's a big plus for the Salzburg bid, it represents one of the best recent efforts for a more compact winter games _ that's probably its strongest point against the others so far.

Anyway, if Munich ended up a contender for 2018, it might be a strong one, but it would also have tough, deserving opposition. Both Sweden (Ostersund?) and Russia (Sochi?) would probably be expected to bid as well and would have excellent credentials as representing two of the great winter sports powers to have never hosted (not to mention that I think Sweden would bring passion that perhaps only Norway could match to the games).

Chamonix 1924

St. Moritz 1928

Lake Placid 1932

Garmisch-Partenkirchen 1936

St. Moritz 1948

Oslo 1952

Cortina d'Ampezzo 1956

Squaw Valley 1960

Innsbruck 1964

Grenoble 1968

Sapporo 1972

Innsbruck 1976

Lake Placid 1980

Sarajevo 1984

Calgary 1988

Albertville 1992

Lillehammer 1994

Nagano 1998

Salt Lake City 2002

Torino 2006

Vancouver 2010

I don´t think that Europe tends to get every second Game. The bid city which does the best job should get it, also from America or Asia.

That would be the ideal, of course, but like it or not, geopolitics comes into it. And as Fox showed above, Europe gets far more WOGs than any other region, and apart from 1998-2002, has always got at LEAST every second WOG. The reason is quite simple _ there are far, far more countries in Europe that are able to host. Outside Europe, there are only about five (USA, Canada, Japan, Korea, China).

Zenica _ why don't you just admit it _ you don't really want Salzburg to win because you'd prefer Munich to get 2018. There's nothing wrong with that _ I'd actually be pleased if PyeongChang won because that would be a big boost for Ostersund's chances for 2018 as well. That said, it's foolish to deny that Salzburg has probably the strongest bid for 2014 and is going very well in its campaigning. Obviously you consider it the biggest threat as well _ why else would you keep on being so repetitively negative towards it, while offering no comments at all on the likes of Sochi, Jaca, Sofia, Almaty, Borjomi etc.

I tink that the 2k14 games are destin to be europeans, not only becose of the exemple I showd before, but also to completely kill any chance of Spain or Italie to get the 2016 games (a bit like Vancouver, witch wase give to Canada to make shure Toronto and New York hade no chance for 2012). Pyonchang could very well get the games, but if I had to bet I would say it would be either Salzbour (they had the best thecnical bid in 2010, altough I am glad Vancouver won) or Sochi (long overdue). And after that, 2018 should turn (Pyonchang, probably).

Salzburg´s bid is ok bt I´m missing competence. Fedor Radmann seems not to be the right one to cose ths gap. And I think it´s definitely too late when Radmann starts his job after WorldCup in September. Until Guatemala there is less than a year then. Too much time lost to do some new projects. Only to do advertising with sport-stars or politicians is not enough (think of Chirac or Putin during the last bids). I´m not against Salzburg or pro Munich. But I already was involved in the bid process and I now how things are working. So I´m pretty sure Salzburg will loose the race against PC.

Salzburg´s bid is ok bt I´m missing competence. Fedor Radmann seems not to be the right one to cose ths gap. And I think it´s definitely too late when Radmann starts his job after WorldCup in September. Until Guatemala there is less than a year then. Too much time lost to do some new projects. Only to do advertising with sport-stars or politicians is not enough (think of Chirac or Putin during the last bids). I´m not against Salzburg or pro Munich. But I already was involved in the bid process and I now how things are working.

Then final of WC 2006 is only about 2 and a half months away, and there's not actually much for any of the bids to do now anyway _ the preliminary bid plans and questionaire responses are in, it's a waiting game for all the bids now to see who the IOC decides to shortlist before they can move on to the next stage _ the more detailed planning, campaigning and producing the main bid books. Until then, wheeling out sports stars, advertisements and politicians is really all any of the bids can do.

So I´m pretty sure Salzburg will loose the race against PC.

That's fine, though most experienced Olympic bid analysts and bookmakers disagree with you.

The thing is, you are just always so negative towards Salzburg. It seems that no news out of there can make you happy. Either they are not doing enough or destined to fail, or they are in front on every prediction list or chart for 2014 _ in which case you say that means nothing. Why don't you comment on any of the other bids? It's just so obvious that you see Salzburg as the main threat to what you personally want to see happen.

I´m not negative against Salzburg, I´m negative against a certain kind of people like Fedor Radmann, whom I know for a long time as a very arro gant guy. There are a lot of other people who could do much more for Salzburg than Radmann. Without him Salzburg may have better chances.

I´m not negative against Salzburg, I´m negative against a certain kind of people like Fedor Radmann, whom I know for a long time as a very arro gant guy. There are a lot of other people who could do much more for Salzburg than Radmann. Without him Salzburg may have better chances.

So are you saying that this all just comes down to a personal personality clash you have with one person, like your feelings towards Beckenbauer? And that you'd like to see an entire bid fail just because you don't like this one person?

Archived