time is passing by

ghost1

the Mozart-year is the whole year 2006. Until IOC´s decision in 2007 there is not much time. If Salzburg is not able to prepare everything in 2006 they won´t have a chance in 2007.

Yeah, the most important job is in 2006 - with the mini bid book and later, if in the shortlist - the bid book

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
time is running and the distance to PyoengChang seems not to be closer. Only when there happens something revolutionary Salzburg will have a chance to win the bid.

The Around The Rings bid index doesn't agree with you _ it has Salzburg in front.

Yes, but that's based mostly on predictions, the "real" index should be released afyter the mini bid books are published

Let´s see when the real bid index will be published where Salzburg´s position is. Maybe they will be on 4th or 5th place.

On the website nothing happened since the logo.

But Salzburg has the best bid technically form those 7 cities, maybe in other factors they aren't that good, but technically they win, so they are surely in the shortlist, PC is probably in, Sochi - I really don't know, because they don't have winter sport tradition at all and all the venues don't exist, Borjomi is surely out due to obvious reasons, Jaca has a better bid than 2010, so maybe its also in, Almaty - environmental issues are a big minus, 2011 Asian winter Games are a plus of the bid, Sofia - I'm biased so I won't tell you my opinion, although most of you already know it

I think that we will have a pleasant surprise with Jaca in the BidIndex. The bid has changed a lot since 2010 bid.

Yes, it's interesting to see how the bidindex has changed for Jaca, Salzburg and PC compared to the 2010 one

It´s all speculation. Let´s wait unitl the BidIndex.

Regarding Salzburg: would be nice to have a press release from time to time about the ongoings in Salzburg´s bid. People want to know more what really happens. Salzburg´s OC has a lot to do.

There is no reason for a big party and for the role of the favorite in this bid race (as they behaviour).

silvester_gal_salzburg_a.jpg

It´s all speculation. Let´s wait unitl the BidIndex.

Regarding Salzburg: would be nice to have a press release from time to time about the ongoings in Salzburg´s bid. People want to know more what really happens. Salzburg´s OC has a lot to do.

There is no reason for a big party and for the role of the favorite in this bid race (as they behaviour).

silvester_gal_salzburg_a.jpg

As of PR I agree that Salzburgs one is bad - see the my news index, I'll update it soon - Sochi and PC have the best PR as of now and that's why I think everybody think PC as a favourite and Sochi as a strong bid, but this could be a big PR baloon

PR helps, but more importantn is the actual task of organising the bids details, getting bid pland and books ready and then haunting hotel foyers around the world lobbying IOC voters _ all activities that we won't hear constant updates about, if at all.

Remember Cape Towns bid where the OC chief has visited nearly every IOC member worldwide - and Cape Town failed. These visits seem not to be the right thing to win the bid. It´s a point, but not the most important. But I think Salzburg has it´s own homemade problems which let them fail twice, and the also will fail a third time.

Ah, but lobbying is the necessary step after you have all the other bid foundations in place. Lobbying helped Capetown come third on an otherwise les-than-spectacular bid. But when you habe a strong bid behind you _ like Sydney or London _ it's the lobbying that is the ultimate decider!

What exactly is it that would satisfy you from organisations like the Salzburg bid committee and the 2006 and 2008 football tournament OCs? For every member and employee to daily publicly release a run-down, hour-by-hour, of how they spent their days? In every big organisation, the vast majority of work is done behind the scenes and would be boring to nearly everyone in the world to know the details of.

Ah, but lobbying is the necessary step after you have all the other bid foundations in place. Lobbying helped Capetown come third on an otherwise les-than-spectacular bid. But when you habe a strong bid behind you _ like Sydney or London _ it's the lobbying that is the ultimate decider!

What exactly is it that would satisfy you from organisations like the Salzburg bid committee and the 2006 and 2008 football tournament OCs? For every member and employee to daily publicly release a run-down, hour-by-hour, of how they spent their days? In every big organisation, the vast majority of work is done behind the scenes and would be boring to nearly everyone in the world to know the details of.

Yes, moreover, form that what I talked with people from the Sofia 2014 bid commitee, they told me that they were careful with PR actions because of the IOC rules that prohibit promotion for applicants and they told me that after the shortlist there will be a more massive campaign

They don´t have to report every single action, but a press release from time to time would be very interesting. I think public has the right to know what´s going on. This may help to increase the acceptance in public. People don´t know where their millions of Euro will be spent. It´s one of Salzburg´s biggest problems not to have the support of it´s own people. Lobbyism is easy when there are the big sponsors like Hyundai,McDonalds, CocaCola, Samsung, Fuji, Mastercard etc. when they are in the own country. But when you have only Mozart on your side it´s a long and hard way.

Now is the right time that Munich´s mayor Christian Ude and Bavaria´s prime minister Edmund Stoiber start preparing the bid for the Winter Games 2018, like Grenoble. Both cities will be strong candidates for Winter Games 2018

I still don't get why Germany did not bid for 2014! Munich has better conditions than most of the 7 cities bidding for 2014

Regarding Munich: there was a big discussion in Munich to bid for 2014. But the minister for sport and the German OC denied. Reason: after Torino and Vancouver there would be an Asian candidate for 2014. The suggested that there would be a better chance for Munich in 2018. The other reason: in German OC there are sitting more "Summer people" than "Winter people". The summer people still want Summer Games in Germany. The best candidate would be Berlin but Berlin doesn´t have the money to host the Games. I think to only look on Summer Games is non realistic. They are dreaming. After London 2012 the next realistic chance would be about 2024. But there are so many European candidates like Rome, Paris, Amsterdam, Brussels, Lisbon, Madrid, Prague, a Swedish candidate, a Russian candidate etc. I think they will have big problems to have a chance with Berlin, not to talk about a candidate like Hamburg or Frankfurt. They should be realistic and should concentrate on a Winter bid with much more better chances to get it. I don´t believe in miracles that Germany will get Summer Games during the next 2 or 3 decades. Maybe I´m wrong.

Munich would be an ideal candidate. The have a complete infrastructure with a brand new media centre (from WC 2006). They should take the chance and bid for 2018. It´s no time to start. Decision is in July 2009. But they will need about 2 years for preparation.

They should take the chance and bid for 2018. It´s no time to start. Decision is in July 2009. But they will need about 2 years for preparation.

Actually, the decision on the 2018 host will be in 2011, so that's an extra two years for them to decide whether they run or not and whether to dust off the existing 2014 plans AFTER the 2014 host is decided.

Anyway, why do you think Germany has no chance for the Summer Games. Really, Berlin, Paris and Rome would probably be the three strongest European candidates for the next summer games, while a Munich winter bid may not be as strong as you think against winter bids from the likes of Ostersund, Sweden or a repeat bid from Sofia or Sochi.

They should take the chance and bid for 2018. It´s no time to start. Decision is in July 2009. But they will need about 2 years for preparation.

Actually, the decision on the 2018 host will be in 2011, so that's an extra two years for them to decide whether they run or not and whether to dust off the existing 2014 plans AFTER the 2014 host is decided.

Anyway, why do you think Germany has no chance for the Summer Games. Really, Berlin, Paris and Rome would probably be the three strongest European candidates for the next summer games, while a Munich winter bid may not be as strong as you think against winter bids from the likes of Ostersund, Sweden or a repeat bid from Sofia or Sochi.

I'm sure Berlin will bid for Summer Games in the near future. But I doubt this will happen for 2016. 2020 is more realsitic. Even though the vote is in 2011, the applications are due 2009 and the initial decision has to be made next year

Sure, Berlin will have a big chance together with Rome and Paris. But not in next future. They don´t have the budget to host the Games. German NOC favorites Hamburg, but they won´t have a chance like Leipzig. So why Munich shouldn´t try to bid for 2018? There are strong candidates from Scandinavia and other candidates like Sochi, Tatre, a Swiss city etc.

Sure, Berlin will have a big chance together with Rome and Paris. But not in next future. They don´t have the budget to host the Games. German NOC favorites Hamburg, but they won´t have a chance like Leipzig. So why Munich shouldn´t try to bid for 2018? There are strong candidates from Scandinavia and other candidates like Sochi, Tatre, a Swiss city etc.

I'm not saying Munich shouldn't or can't host. In fact, personally Ostersund and Munich are my favourites for future Winter Games hosts. But it's too early to start pushing for the 2018 bidders to declare themselves. As said in another thread, let's just get 2014 and the way and see how it will affect the next race before we start worrying that cities aren't trying hard enough for 2018.

I'm not saying Munich shouldn't or can't host. In fact, personally Ostersund and Munich are my favourites for future Winter Games hosts. But it's too early to start pushing for the 2018 bidders to declare themselves. As said in another thread, let's just get 2014 and the way and see how it will affect the next race before we start worrying that cities aren't trying hard enough for 2018.

Yes, surely the 2014 race will affect the 2018 decisions, so will just have to wait and see

I think that for 2014 the European candidates like Salzburg, Sochi, Sofia and Jaca do not have the best chances. PC and Almaty (?) maybe before them. So for the next bid 2018 the Europeans should be the strongest candidates. Salzburg seems not ot have the power, knowledge and speed to go on top before PC.

Archived