time is passing by

ghost1

a picture from the start of the skiing season near Salzburg

1852403ts.jpg

And the pists are wonderful - a early season-start with so many snow, as this year, is nothing we had very often in the last years! A good reason to go home for the weekends from the place, where I study  :)

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In it´s strategy for the bid 2014 Salzburg has to do the same as in the box-fight Ali vs. Forman in Kinshasa 1974. All obligat questions has to be solved and prepared for the evaluation commission. On the other hand they have to go on with their other projects to finally present in Guatemala what has happened - and to win the bid. Have a look at the box-fight and you will know what is the target of Salzburg 2014.

btn_72.jpg

Now the bid committee has got a control organisation for finance. The city government want to know exactly what happens with the money (other than the last time where there were a lot of costs without any effect on the bid). This is the normal way but people should know that there is nothing to win with the normal projects and job as usual. They need special projects which bring Salzburg the big points. In these projects the money has to go. We are not talking about the promotion tour in Torino or the expenses of "ambassadors". I´m talking about the very special projects which will bring Salzburg on top of the bid list for 2014.

Fah, a long long way to run ....[/i]

Ya'know - now that I see the lyrics written out, obviously, Oscar Hammerstein cheated a little in "Fah - a long away to run."  He, of course, is using the Boston-New England ah sound for the short "a" sounds.  I mean, how could an Austrian be saying fah for FAR?  

As they say in Boston - Pahk the kah in Hahvuhd Squeah!.  They wouldn't say that in Berlin or in Salzburg.

sound_music_i.jpg

Climb Every Mountain,

Ford every stream,

Follow every rainbow,

Till you find your dream!

OK - another Salzburg-related tidbit:  

In that world-famous shot, did anyone know that instead of a continuous shot, they had to cut to a close-up when Julie/Maria sings the song's opening line because during shooting, whenever the helicopter-borne camera dollied in towards Julie, she was always flattened by the chopper's downdraft?  They tried this several times, and understandably, she was getting pissed.  So they settled for a quick cut of a land-bound camera shot.

Interesting interview with Julie Andrews yesterday marking SOM's 40th anniversary _ somehow, though, I just can't picture Cameron Diaz as Maria.

LONDON, PA - Cameron Diaz would be the ideal actress to play Maria if The Sound of Music were ever to be remade, says Dame Julie Andrews.

The 70-year-old star named the blonde Hollywood actress during a question and answer session to mark the 40th anniversary of the popular musical.

She also admitted that the star of My Fair Lady told her she should have played Eliza Doolittle.

``Audrey Hepburn told me: 'You should have done it but I didn't have the guts to turn it down,' but she was a great friend and a lovely, dear lady.''

Asked why The Sound of Music was still a family favourite Dame Julie replied: ``It's about decency. It's about love of family and love of country. It had the amazing scenery but phenomenal music and it's something the whole family can enjoy.''

Interesting interview with Julie Andrews yesterday marking SOM's 40th anniversary _ somehow, though, I just can't picture Cameron Diaz as Maria.
LONDON, PA - Cameron Diaz would be the ideal actress to play Maria if The Sound of Music were ever to be remade, says Dame Julie Andrews.

The 70-year-old star named the blonde Hollywood actress during a question and answer session to mark the 40th anniversary of the popular musical.

She also admitted that the star of My Fair Lady told her she should have played Eliza Doolittle.

``Audrey Hepburn told me: 'You should have done it but I didn't have the guts to turn it down,' but she was a great friend and a lovely, dear lady.''

Asked why The Sound of Music was still a family favourite Dame Julie replied: ``It's about decency. It's about love of family and love of country. It had the amazing scenery but phenomenal music and it's something the whole family can enjoy.''

I saw that, too. But I think it was merely a hypothetical question posed to her.  

And she said that since she worked w/ Diaz in SHREK!  That would be a switch, too - a Cuban Maria (even though she's a Caucasian Cuban).

There is a great chance to present Salzburg as a great culture city during next year as there is Mozart-Year. There are 55 premieres. 36 operas, 260 concerts plus a huge number of festival concerts, masses in the churches, 10 International congresses, 400 workshops and 120 children and youth projects (14 big projects in the whole country). The city Salzburg and the local and federal government invest about 100 million Euro in new cultural infrastructure and concert halls. This is a great support for Salzburg´s bid for the Winter Olympics 2014.

mozart2.jpg

There is a great chance to present Salzburg as a great culture city during next year as there is Mozart-Year. There are 55 premieres. 36 operas, 260 concerts plus a huge number of festival concerts, masses in the churches, 10 International congresses, 400 workshops and 120 children and youth projects (14 big projects in the whole country). The city Salzburg and the local and federal government invest about 100 million Euro in new cultural infrastructure and concert halls. This is a great support for Salzburg´s bid for the Winter Olympics 2014.

Mozart, Schmozart!

This is The Sound of Music's 40th anniversary. What a better cultural marketing opportunity than that!

soundofmusic_01.jpg

Mozart, Schmozart!

This is The Sound of Music's 40th anniversary. What a better cultural marketing opportunity than that!

soundofmusic_01.jpg

Yeah.  I'd definitely go with SOM more than Mozart.  Besides "Amadeus" was mostly shot in Prague rather than in Salzburg itself.   SOM is the one continuing, living legacy for Salzburg.  I mean the SOM tours bring in tons of money for the city.

With the engagement of Mike Lee, former London 2012, there is new man on board. His function will be communications director. This is a big plus for Salzburg. He already has started to take over his job. We shouldn´t forget the thrilling bid race between London and Paris. But this was a race between two Europeans. For 2014 there is a completely different situation. How to prevent the top favorite PC and any other one from Asia? For IOC and Jacques Rogge it doesn´t matter if there are thousands of candidates from all over the world. See the European cities how want to bid for 2016 (after London 2012). We should not forget that with Salzburg it is not the same situation as with London, Paris and Madrid. For 2014 there are 5 candidates from two continents. Question: why Vancouver has won the last bid race and not Salzburg? I don´t think that Vancouver was not so much better than Salzburg. That´s the knack of the problem which have to be solved. It is difficult and very tricky but possible to do.

But Mozart is the most famous Austrian, the only one everyone on the world knows. The whole world is celebrating Mozart. So why Salzburg shouldn´t use this big point?

Uhmmm...there was a certain Adolf something-or-other who began a few messy... gatherings in the first half of the last century.  Contrary to popular belief, the swine was originally Austrian.  From Linz, I believe.

Also, Schwarzneggar, Kurt Waldheim, Maria von Trapp and Johann Strauss pater y fils, would probably argue with you too.

In today´s "Salzburger Nachrichten" there´s an interview with Anton Schutti - CEO of the Salzburg 2014 Olympic bid.

He told that there is much done in the background - for example answering the IOC questionnaire. The logo is also finished and got the OK by the IOC. It will be presented Decmeber, 14th in "Caslte Mirabell". He is sure it will be liked! Salzburg also plans much for the Olympic Games in Turino - above all also at the Paralympics. As an important point he says, that Cancellor Schüssel and President Fischer back Salzburg´s bid.

Here´s the full article in German:

"Salzburger Nachrichten" 3.12.

It´s "great" that we will see the logo December 14. The presentations during Torino 2006, the Paralympics and the post-olympic Games in 2007 are obligatory also the IOC questionnaire is "homework".Chancelor Schuessel and president Fischer, embasies, consulates and athlets etc should also support Salzburg´s bid. This should be a question of honour for all and also obligatory. All these things also the other candidates do (PC, Sofia, Sochi, Jaca, Borjomy). Salzburg has to convince the IOC members that they are the best. All of them have the necessary infrastructure, support etc - more or less. At the end there will be three candidates - with nearly the same strength. Before that the last Olympics were in Europe (Torino) and the next will be in Canada. And there are several (at minimum one) candidates from Asia. During the 20 months Salzburg will have spoken to a lot of IOC members to support Salzburg. Prerequisition is that Salzburg will get best scores from IOC and everything has been done very well from Salzburg´s OC. But possibly PC is on top and will win. Salzburg´s OC has done really everything but the were not able to win. The decision is not related to luck. If PC wins this has nothing to do with luck. I.e. the wall in Berlin didn´t fall because of a miracle or because of the blue eyes of Mr. Kohl. Something has happened. There are some people on board of Salzburg´s OC which were there when Salzburg failed twice. These people should know that, besides the projects Mr. Schutti named in his interview, there have to be several projects in the background to prevent an Asian candidate. With conservative methodswhich everyone knows since ages, there is no way to win the Games. See Paris: they have spent an incredible huge amount, supported by the whole government and economy, and failed. This the people in Salzburg should realize - or they will fail a third time.

In today´s "Salzburger Nachrichten" there´s an interview with Anton Schutti - CEO of the Salzburg 2014 Olympic bid.

He told that there is much done in the background - for example answering the IOC questionnaire. The logo is also finished and got the OK by the IOC. It will be presented Decmeber, 14th in "Caslte Mirabell". He is sure it will be liked! Salzburg also plans much for the Olympic Games in Turino - above all also at the Paralympics. As an important point he says, that Cancellor Schüssel and President Fischer back Salzburg´s bid.

Here´s the full article in German:

great news, can not wait to see the logo, good to hear that Salzburg has been working on plans can not wait to hear more

I am also looking forward to see the logo. By thw way: The 14th of December was a fantastic choice of the bid-committe, because it´s my birthday  :D :laugh:

Archived