time is passing by

ghost1

Eight monthes are gone since the decision of the Austrian NOC to elect Salzburg as Austrian´s bid city, and nothing happens regarding the bid. When looking at other candidates like PyongChang, which are a very long time working on this, or Sochi and others, this could be a big problem for Salzburg if they want to win. They still have to do a lot of work as it is almost 5 minutes after 12 for a reliable bid. When looking on the official home-page nothing happens. When looking at the fact that Salzburg failed twice and when they really want to win 2014 they have to do much more as at the moment. To fail a third time is pure luxury. 2018 there will be much more candidates from Europe like Switzerland, Scandinavia etc. To survive 2018 will much more difficult than for 2014. For 2014 there should be only another candidate - PyongChang. This chance should not be given away. Salzburg has a good base (venues, infrastructure etc.) but there is a lot more to do to get the ok from the IOC. This should be considered by the responsible people in Austria. They should start very soon, not to loose more time. 22 monthes are not a long period of time. To win the bid needs a lot of hard work and knowledge and not only luck.

Salzburg must have more presence in public to be in the minds of the people. At the final end of hard work there will be the gift of Olympic Games and not only frustration like in the past.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
to wait until February is waisting a lot of time. Candidates like PyongChang i.e. are working since 7 years (!) on this event. Olympic Games is not a village event it´s one of the biggest sport events worldwide. My opinion is that they do not have more time to do nothing. What they are waiting for? If they don´t want to win the bid they also can wait until Guatemala 2007.

Just remember that London also got off to a slow start in its 2012 bid as well _ it was ranked well behind paris and madrid at the mini Bid Book stage and had problems to iron out. In the end, though, most observers would say that it timed its run perfectly with the final momentum all its way. Salzburg has past experience to build on and a bid that merely has to tweak on its previous plans. It'll be ready indeed _ I can't really see any other challengers to the final three being PyeongChang, Sofia and Salzburg.

There is probably work being done behind the scenes.  I'm sure that they have a committee in place and local business and political leaders are prepping the situation and lining up people to do the necessary work for the committee.

I mean really what has PyeongChang done that is so spectacular and out in front?  A new logo?  Hired a videographer?  So what.  That's just appearance stuff.  The real work comes in lining up the community support, not in fluffy brochures and logos.  I think once Torino wraps up, the heat will be on all the bids to kick into high gear.  The short list should come out in the summer of 2006.

My opinion is that London had a much better chance than most of the other bid cities because of the huge budget. Also I think there were only two candidates Paris and London. Preparing a bid is always work in progress which has to be done continuously. You can´t start from one day to the other if you are not well prepared. Experience: there are a lot of countries which have much more experience than Salzburg (i.e. Switzerland, which failed six times or Sweden which failed 9 times!). Other question: where is the experience? Experience in loosing two bids. Maybe PyongChang has also a lack in experience but they have invested an incredible amount (several billion USD). I´m pretty sure this has a big impression to the members of the IOC. Also the event from last Saturday in Vienna was not initiated by the bid committee. They were there as a part of the Austrian sport.

Also the event from last Saturday in Vienna was not initiated by the bid committee. They were there as a part of the Austrian sport.

Still - it's a bid promotion

About the other that you say - I could aggree, but I'm not sure if London had the biggest budget

Also the event from last Saturday in Vienna was not initiated by the bid committee. They were there as a part of the Austrian sport.

Still - it's a bid promotion

About the other that you say - I could aggree, but I'm not sure if London had the biggest budget

Of course PC ivests a lot in the bid and will do so in the Games, so that will surely impress IOC, unfortunately this campaign won't be "the best [technically] bid wins"-style, but the "the best [geopoliticaly and money-wise] bid wins"-style, which doesn't make me that happy...

My opinion is that London had a much better chance than most of the other bid cities because of the huge budget. Also I think there were only two candidates Paris and London. Preparing a bid is always work in progress which has to be done continuously. You can´t start from one day to the other if you are not well prepared. Experience: there are a lot of countries which have much more experience than Salzburg (i.e. Switzerland, which failed six times or Sweden which failed 9 times!). Other question: where is the experience? Experience in loosing two bids. Maybe PyongChang has also a lack in experience but they have invested an incredible amount (several billion USD). I´m pretty sure this has a big impression to the members of the IOC. Also the event from last Saturday in Vienna was not initiated by the bid committee. They were there as a part of the Austrian sport.

It's still simply wrong to say Salzburg has made no preparation. I remember this time last year on this board discussing the finer points of Salzburg's expected/proposed bid _ debates over public support (there were a number of pollss earlier this year), debates over whether Konigsee in Germany being used for bobsled/luge was a negative for the bid, etc etc. To say they've just suddenly announced a bid out of nowhere with no preparation or no follow-up is just plain nonsense.

There's still two years to go until the announcement of the 2014 host. The campaigns are not won at this stage of the race. This is just setting the scene, getting the plans together. The IOC in 2007 will not care whether one bid announced its logo a few months before the others. The real action will start towards the end of next year, when short lists are finalised (and lets face it, Salzburg is not going to be cut before a Bojomi or Almaty) and final bid books get produced. Once again, London did an ordinary job before the short list cut, and an extraordinary job after it. It's not always wise to try and sprint ahead through an entire Games bidding race from the very start.

was I wanted to say is: Salzburg is definitely not the favorite, this is PC, that´s for sure. But like in a good race you should not loose contact to the leading man. That´s what I mean, when critizising Salzburg. Only doing something from time to time is not the right way. It´s like in school: you have to learn permanently and not only for a few tests. If Salzburg is happy with the 2nd place, ok. But for me it´s not ok. The whole waist of money and time to loose at the end is not worth the efforts. Only the winners (not only in sport) will be remembered in the future, nobody cares about the loosers.

Yes, Salzburg acts slowly, it also seems so for me. I´m a little bit dissappointed. But it´s not that Salzburg doesn´t do anything, just up to now, it´s not very public. For example the towns of the snow-sports ("region Amadé" at the 2010-bid) Altenmarkt, Bischofshofen, Flachau and Radstadt will act together as "cluster SNOW". That was decided in the local councils of the towns.

Hopefully Salzburg can prove a good (or even better a very good) organisation at the cycling World Championsships, in September 2006. That could be a positive point for the IOC.

I think the final will definately be Pyeongchang - Salzburg - Sofia.

I agree to your opinion. I think Salzburg is the city who has done the least compared to PC or the others. Maybe it´s the best to use the organisation commitees which does the cycling championships also for the football European championships and also for the Olympic bid (as Salzburg is part in all three events). The committee will get a lot of experience and on the other hand it saves a lot of money. So it´s for sure something happens all the time to fulfill the to-do-list of the IOC.

For Salzburg there is also important to keep the venue in Wals, which is now build up for the European championships 2008. It´s planned to rebuild the adjustments (for 30,000 people) to it´s original size of about 10,000 people. This venue could be used in a very good way for the Olympic Games in 2014 (if so). In the meantime it could be used by Red Bull Salzburg for International football matches. The city and country Salzburg could save 6 million Euro which could be invested in a better bid for Olympia 2014. I think this is a reliable solution to save costs. The venue could also used for concerts, other sport events etc in the future.

Also this venue could be financed without help from government and the costs could be amortized in next future. Salzburg should think and work for future and the next generation - now.

I believe Salzburg needs to keep it's classic winter destination attitude an not be so in your face and glamourous by holding a million pep events. This will bode well more for 2014 than it did for 2010. With 2010 you had Switzerland and Canada bidding, two other popular winter sport destinations, but with 2014 the main competition is coming from Russia, South Korea, and Spain, countries much less familiar with holding international winter events and even lesser known as being a winter destination.

Salzburg will definitely stick out this time and will have a much better chance of reaching the final 2 in voting. It will be new frontier vs. classic charm, but the only thing that may be a detriment is that the Vancouver games are being held in a country widely capable of holding every single winter sport, and the IOC voters may want to branch out to other types of nations in 2014. Plus, if Salzburg doesn't strike now, a few places in Switzerland, France, Norway, Sweden, Finland, and the United States are hinting at a run for 2018. Sweden alone would be a thorn in Salzburg's side.

By the way, does Salzburg still have that cockamamy plan to hold bobsleigh/luge/skeleton outside of Austria?

Bobsleigh in Konigsee/Germany is still on the plan. Konigsee is still on the plan from Munich for a possible bid 2018. Please note: the distance from Salzburg to Konigsee is about 10km, less than airports are located in most cities. To build a new bobsleigh venue is very expensive and doesn´t make sense as there is only a part-time use for future.

to wait until February is waisting]/i] a lot of time. Candidates like PyongChang i.e. are working since 7 years (!) on this event. Olympic Games is not a village event it´s one of the biggest sport events worldwide. My opinion is that they do not have more time to do nothing. What they are waiting for? If they don´t want to win the bid they also can wait until Guatemala 2007.

Zenica, not meaning to be rude, but are you sure you're really from Sarajevo?   :suspect:  I mean, I detect traces of a kerry/puppy/kimilsung/meccaslut/mongstar, etc.,  accent there?   :glare:

Baron-Pierre, you are right, I´m not from Sarajevo. I´m from Zenica, a city with about 200.000 people, 75 km away from Sarajevo. But it´s true, I really worked for the OC Sarajevo 1984, that´s not a joke.

OK, I believe you.  But you now live in Germany?

Sorry.  We've just had too many jokesters here.

BTW, I also did work for LAOOC in 1984, and one of the mementoes I have from that time, is one of the limited edition Sarajevo-LA 1984 Org. Committee Friendship coins -- one of the first 'bridge' coins.  

We should talk some more in a private venue.

AS the IOC´s seminar in Lausanne is now finished the cities (Salzburg) have to do the next steps as there are only 21 monthes to Guatemala. According to the IOC´s "check-list" Salzburg has to re-check now their projects and set up new one´s if necessary. When they do this they will have success and get the Games 2014

although being the top favorite PC is still working hard to eliminate every "accident". This is what makes the difference to other cities like Salzburg which plays a very lethargic role. When Salzburg want to win the bid they have to work even harder - now, not when it is too late. Or should this be the first sign that they already have thrown in the towel? Without fighting spirit you can´t win any match. The hope dies at least, that should be the motto of the Salzburg OC. Whalt actually happens is stagnancy. After a great fight at the end there will be the award. They also should not forget the youth and the future sport generations. They should take the chance as this may the last one for Salzburg in this century. To be Olympic City or not - that´s the question for Salzburg.

Get real Zeneca, what exactly are you expecting _ for Salzburg to have every single little bid of their bid campaign already done by now? It's still VERY early days for this race _ it's only been a month or so since the initial expressions of interest were accepted. Olympic bid races are won in the home straight on the back of some solid, though often boring, behind the scenes preparations (which Salzburg has done more so than perhaps any of the other bids). Yes, PyeongYang is fast out of the blocks _ and so was Paris 2012! Just because you're not seeing it and it isn't taking place in full public galre, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

since end of January the Austrian OC has made it´s decision Salzburg is Austria´s candidate for 2014. Sure, something happened in the background. But 2014 is "reserved" for an Asian candidate. That means Salzburg has to do a lot more to have a chance. They have to take their chance now and should not let other people act. To say, we did a good job is not the right way. The inhabitants of Salzburg, as you may remember they were against Olympic Games in their city, have to be convinced, that Olympic Games are a good thing for Salzburg. Delegating the work from the responsible people to someone, they don´t know if they do a good job, is not the right way. A real important thing is also to get new sponsors. This would push the chances of Salzburg, not only international also in their own country. They have to show, that they really want to have the Games. The first thing is to get the own people on board. This is the only way to win the bid process for 2014.

What I want to say: this is not a normal bid between two cities from the same continent (for 2014: Asia). To get the top position, Salzburg has to do more, a much better job than PC and the others. When being successfull they will be the greatest. But failing a third time - what would you think about someone who failed to get his University degrade three times? I would call him a looser. They should get out of the used pathes they walked all the years and should do it right - the first time.

Dreams are ok - but to make a dream come true is a very long way.

In case PC will get the Games 2014 and not one of the European cities like Sofia or Salzburg, 2018 will be the run for the European´s. A good candidate then will be Munich as it is clear that Germany won´t get the Summer Games earliest 2036, and the only candidate for this date can be Berlin. Munich has an excellent infrastructure, the necessary budget and support, but the German NOC has to clear their priority for a bid for Winter 2018 and after then for the Summer Games 2036. Besides the other candidates for 2018 Munich has good chances although there are a lot of very candidates like Sweden, Switzerland etc. The infrastructure is nearly ready as this was done for football world championships 2006. This will keep the costs on a lower basis. It´s also a very well known city worldwide and able to get the Games 2018.

It must be clear for the responsible people in Salzburg (Ms. Burgstaller, City Mayor Schaden) that a successfull bid doesn´t fall down from the sky. Other cities are much more active. The have to get a successfull team from their own people living in and arround Salzburg. They also have to look for new sponsors to push the budget. That´s the only way to get on top. My opinion is, that this year is totally lost for Salzburg. Things they have not done in this time they won´t be able to catch up in future. I´m absolutely sure that Salzburg don´t want to fail a third time. So this attempt should be successfull. Projects developed by Salzburg might have a positive impact. But the people should know how to do this, with the right staff. A lot of people here think there is a lot of time. I don´t think so. OG´s are a huge organisational act. "Ambassadors" are ok, but their impact in IOC´s decision is not quite clear. Salzburg has to push it´s bid with well organised actions and projects. There are several very good people to do this job. But it seems the inhabitants of Salzburg are not absolutely convinced from the knowledge and experience of their own people. The show must go on. All people in the world will be happy with Salzburg about best organized OG´s in 2014. But the way is very long and hard.

Archived