Sapporo 2030 Gets Nod From JOC To Enter Official Olympic Bid Discussion With IOC

GBModerator

The Japanese city of Sapporo Wednesday received the official approval of the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC) to enter a bid to host the 2030 Olympic Winter Games. The JOC nominated the city that hosted the 1972 Winter Olympics during an Executive Board Meeting as a formality after Sapporo was the only city that emerged with […]

The post Sapporo 2030 Gets Nod From JOC To Enter Official Olympic Bid Discussion With IOC appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

4 hours ago, stryker said:

2034 is more likely with Salt Lake in for 2030. A Sapporo Olympics in 2030 would give Asia 3 of the past four WOGs and there's no guarantee Salt Lake would go again in 2034. 

So you think Salt Lake would lose once and then just give up?  Pretty sure the IOC can assume that risk considering Salt Lake would have jumped at 2026 they had the chance.

I actually think we're going to see Sapporo in 2030 and then Salt Lake in 2034.  Right now, NBC already has the rights to the 2030 Olympics.  The rights to 2034 have not been awarded yet.  That TV deal starting in 2034 becomes a lot more valuable to the networks if it's going to be held in the United States.

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

Salt Lake City in 2030 is highly unlikely coming just 2 years after Los Angeles 2028.  I don’t think there has ever been consecutive Summer and Winter Games in the same country?

I think Sapporo is in the box seat for the 2030 Winter Games.

Safe hands again, 10 years after Tokyo 2020.

Almost happened in 1998.  Salt Lake was only a few votes away from beating Nagano.  That would have given us consecutive Olympics in the United States.

And if you wanna go all the way back, they were hosted in the same country in the same year a few times ;) Seriously though, surely there’s no way those two games aren’t going to those two cities, it’s just a question of order. If they can get that agreed I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if they’re both awarded in 2021 or 22 - that way Tommy gets to completely secure his term & the medium-term future of the Games, the IOC can go into hibernation for 7ish years, & whatever happens in the process for 2036 onwards is firmly in the next president’s intray :P

Sapporo Japan 2030 - Salt Lake City USA 2034

Harbin China 2038 - Montreal Canada 2042 

Back to back USA China games with the growing market in China could really boost the money for the IOC the Beijing 2022 Winter Games could be a very great games China would likely get another Winter Games before the Summer Games Beijing 2022 was a test bid I think China will want to bring the games to the ICE city of Harbin. 

2042 is Montreal 400th birthday it could be 32 years without a games in Canada so a Eastern Canada bid would likely win a bid. 

9 minutes ago, Olympianfan said:

Sapporo Japan 2030 - Salt Lake City USA 2034

Harbin China 2038 - Montreal Canada 2042 

Back to back USA China games with the growing market in China could really boost the money for the IOC the Beijing 2022 Winter Games could be a very great games China would likely get another Winter Games before the Summer Games Beijing 2022 was a test bid I think China will want to bring the games to the ICE city of Harbin. 

2042 is Montreal 400th birthday it could be 32 years without a games in Canada so a Eastern Canada bid would likely win a bid. 

China hasn't hosted their first Winter Olympics and you're already giving them another one?  And not a single European city for nearly 2 decades?

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 2:30 AM, mountainboarder_530@yahoo. said:

2038 is almaty's time to shine.  Whoever of Sapporo or SLC doesnt get it in 2030, the other will get it 2034.

Im growing more and more excited about the 2026 in italy though, what a nice come out of nowhere story to close the deal there.  I think thats gonna be a great games.

Nah, if Almaty couldn't win with the "artificial snow", there's no way unless there's Braslov and Lviv.