Australia’s Queensland 2032 Olympic Bid To Face Opposition And Anti-Games Billboard Campaign

Australia’s 2032 Olympic bid from Queensland is set to face political opposition from the right-leaning One Nation Party (ONP) beginning with a billboard campaign this weekend. Led by Senator Pauline Hanson, the ONP will fund and deliver 52 orange billboards across the state of Queensland with Hanson’s image and the message “2032 Brisbane Olympics, regional […]

The post Australia’s Queensland 2032 Olympic Bid To Face Opposition And Anti-Games Billboard Campaign appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

So another "NoOlympics" group though this one is different given its the political opposition rather than a grassroots movement which ended the likes of Boston, Calgary, and Hamburg. Given that elections aren't set to be held until October, what is the realistic chance the ONP wins a majority then announces they end the bid? I don't know too much about Australian politics, but the phrase "right-leaning" caught my attention given the success of some of these groups in elections elsewhere.

On 1/17/2020 at 11:54 AM, stryker said:

So another "NoOlympics" group though this one is different given its the political opposition rather than a grassroots movement which ended the likes of Boston, Calgary, and Hamburg. Given that elections aren't set to be held until October, what is the realistic chance the ONP wins a majority then announces they end the bid? I don't know too much about Australian politics, but the phrase "right-leaning" caught my attention given the success of some of these groups in elections elsewhere.

Not a snowball’s chance that the ONP will win a majority.  This small divisive fringe party won only 3.08% of the popular vote in the 2019 Federal Election and has never won a seat in the House of Representatives in Australia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Australian_federal_election

In the 2017 Queensland State Election, the ONP won only 1 seat of 93 total seats:

https://results.ecq.qld.gov.au/elections/state/State2017/results/summary.html

In addition, even the Queensland State Opposition Leader supports the Queensland State Government’s Bid stating:

”We are backing a Bid for a Queensland Olympic Games.  The Games would supercharge our tourism industry, showcasing Queensland to the world.”

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politics/queensland/lnp-backs-bid-for-a-queensland-olympic-games-20190613-p51x7u.html