Sign in to follow this  

Does Spain actually have the cash to pull this off though, even as practical as it sounds? I'd almost be tempted to say the proposed Rhine-Rhur bid, if it ever gains traction and public approval, might be a bigger threat to Brisbane.

On 1/17/2020 at 1:56 PM, stryker said:

Does Spain actually have the cash to pull this off though, even as practical as it sounds? I'd almost be tempted to say the proposed Rhine-Rhur bid, if it ever gains traction and public approval, might be a bigger threat to Brisbane.

Interesting, even with the menace of a potential crash, currently the financial lines of Spain (in macroeconomic aspects) look much better this time than in 2009 (And even better comparing Italy, which has a stagnant economy but still will host the Winter Olympics). And reading news about it, this time, the main football clubs of Madrid seemed to have more involvement in the bid, which can be solved some $$ and logistics aspects.

The question is about the political line considering the current Parliament... But then, if this works in Italy with full antagonic parties...

I think Madrid might be a case of 5th time lucky .... if there is the money available there are definitely the venues ... and even the issue of the athletics stadium might be resolved by a temporary expansion of Vallehermoso stadium from 12,000 to 60,000 with temporary seating rather than host the athletics in Barcelona or Sevilla

57 minutes ago, Booville said:

I think Madrid might be a case of 5th time lucky .... if there is the money available there are definitely the venues ... and even the issue of the athletics stadium might be resolved by a temporary expansion of Vallehermoso stadium from 12,000 to 60,000 with temporary seating rather than host the athletics in Barcelona or Sevilla

A much bigger question is that Madrid needs to sort out what it wants more.

Is Madrid going for the 2030 Winter Games or the 2032 Summer Games?

The IOC has already said Madrid it will not be successful to go for both Games only 2 years apart.

Erm, since when is Madrid considering a 2030 bid? If Spain ever comes up with a winter bid, that will always be Barcelona (or maybe Zaragoza).

10 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

A much bigger question is that Madrid needs to sort out what it wants more.

Is Madrid going for the 2030 Winter Games or the 2032 Summer Games?

The IOC has already said Madrid it will not be successful to go for both Games only 2 years apart.

The last time I revise geography, that was Barcelona NOT Madrid, and considering the recent political swift... Probably Madrid 2032 will fight against the Catalonians (again).

6 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Erm, since when is Madrid considering a 2030 bid? If Spain ever comes up with a winter bid, that will always be Barcelona (or maybe Zaragoza).

Yes, the bid is Barcelona Winter Olympics (Madrid doesn't have mountains close of the city). The Catalonian government made a proper bid. Now the question is about the preferences and political will related to both cities. 

Point taken.

I should rephrase: 

The IOC is not going to entertain consecutive Winter and Summer Games from the same country 2 years apart.

The Spanish Olympic Committee need to decide which one they are going to focus on.

On 1/26/2020 at 7:32 AM, AustralianFan said:

Point taken.

I should rephrase: 

The IOC is not going to entertain consecutive Winter and Summer Games from the same country 2 years apart.

The Spanish Olympic Committee need to decide which one they are going to focus on.

It does not seem to stop people saying SLC 2030 is the favourite having just had LA 2028

I'm not sure the IOC can be that picky

On 2/2/2020 at 9:46 PM, Booville said:

It does not seem to stop people saying SLC 2030 is the favourite having just had LA 2028

Yes, I agree.  

However, in Sapporo versus SLC you have two high quality Winter Games candidates. So the IOC can be picky.

Add in Madrid 2030 to make it three, if the Spanish Olympic Committee drops this silly idea of consecutive 2030 Winter and 2032 Summer Games bids 

39 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Yes, I agree.  

However, in Sapporo versus SLC you have two high quality Winter Games candidates. So the IOC can be picky.

Add in Madrid 2030 to make it three, if the Spanish Olympic Committee drops this silly idea of consecutive 2030 Winter and 2032 Summer Games bids 

Stop talking about Madrid 2030. That exists only in your imagination. There will not be a winter bid from Madrid.

8 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

Stop talking about Madrid 2030. That exists only in your imagination. There will not be a winter bid from Madrid.

Sorry, I’m jet lagged,  my bad.

On 2/2/2020 at 9:46 PM, Booville said:

Yes, I agree.  

Add in Barcelona 2030 to make it three, if the Spanish Olympic Committee drops this silly idea of consecutive 2030 Winter and 2032 Summer Games bids 

On 2/7/2020 at 5:11 AM, StefanMUC said:

There will be a winter bid from Pyrenees!