Seoul instead of Pyeongchang?

Hindsight is always 20/20 but looking back on Pyeongchang and all the legacy problems they have had, what if Agenda 2020 and the New Norm had been enacted by the IOC earlier? Would Korea have chosen Seoul as its WOGs candidate? Looking back, Seoul would have most of the indoor arenas in place along with options for a ceremonies stadium and it's not that far from Seoul to Pyeongchang (Pyeongchang would've kept the ski events). It's certainly a smaller distance than Milan to Cortina.

• 3 months later...

Especially on the tourist side, everyone had to fly into Seoul anyways to get to Pyeongchang. Plus, they had all the debacles with the lack of accommodations, all of which sit relatively empty right now, especially outside of ski season. It would've been a lot easier on press and tourists for this kind of approach, and it seemed successful with Vancouver/Whistler 2010 and Sochi/Krasnaya 2014. Hopefully it goes smoothy with Beijing/Yanqing 2022 and Milan/Cortina 2026 so we can see bids such as Tokyo/Nagano, Lyon/Grenoble, Barcelona/Pyrenees, Oslo/Lillehammer, Denver/Vail, Munich/Garmisch, etc. Seems to be the most sustainable way that Winter Games will function moving forward.

9 hours ago, anthonyliberatori said:

Especially on the tourist side, everyone had to fly into Seoul anyways to get to Pyeongchang. Plus, they had all the debacles with the lack of accommodations, all of which sit relatively empty right now, especially outside of ski season. It would've been a lot easier on press and tourists for this kind of approach, and it seemed successful with Vancouver/Whistler 2010 and Sochi/Krasnaya 2014. Hopefully it goes smoothy with Beijing/Yanqing 2022 and Milan/Cortina 2026 so we can see bids such as Tokyo/Nagano, Lyon/Grenoble, Barcelona/Pyrenees, Oslo/Lillehammer, Denver/Vail, Munich/Garmisch, etc. Seems to be the most sustainable way that Winter Games will function moving forward.

The 2010 and 2014 games had the benefit of having a shorter distance between the host city and the ski resorts/outdoor arenas. Although Seoul and Pyeongchang are only about a little over 2hrs of travel time between them, I remember there being complaints on here as well as a couple of articles where that was some sort of downside. Here's hoping Seoul does decide to bid again and make use of those venues used for Pyeongchang. 

As far as those potential bids mentioned, I don't think a Colorado bid would ever happen without Denver being the host nation. Barcelona has shown interest in hosting a winter games with the pyrenees being the location of the outdoor events but never put forth such a bid. I would totally love France to put in a bid with Lyon being the host city.  I think it would be a tough bid to compete against provided they get the proper support for it. And a Munich/Garmisch bid would probably be DOA, again. Garmisch locals showed no interest in hosting the 2018 games, and I don't think much has changed since then.