13th Annual GamesBids Olympic Logo Design Competition

BOO!

Getting close to midnight...

With thanks (& apologies) to the holographic form of the late, great King of Pop/inventor of Halloween, Michael Jackson, it's time to say...WELCOME TO THE 13TH (wooooo) ANNUAL GAMESBIDS OLYMPIC LOGO COMPETITION! Before beginning, it is customary to acknowledge my fellow Nintendo legend @thatsnotmypuppy, the inventor, & my fellow womb...wait, no @Sir Rols who kept it going, & is again the general fixer-of-issues this time. Last year saw a decent turnout for a competition that took us around the world from Mexico to Mumbai, & once again in 2019, it is my/our pleasure to give the board permission to play Christmas songs all day. This competition is a little unusual, not because of the format (it's the same as last year) but because we have a theme that links the 4 cities. Since the days of Christ, 13 has been considered by many an unlucky/spooky number, so for this 13th competition, all 4 cities have that spooky touch. No need to make your logos spooky though! Let's get haunted...

WINTER 2030 CITY ONE: DARMSTADT, GERMANY

Central Darmstadt in January 2005

Located in the vicinity of Frankfurt, Darmstadt may not rank among the most famed German cities, but it's a very fitting place for a spooky excursion. High in the hills overlooking the city, you'll find Frankenstein Castle, said to have inspired the novel &, of course, the monster... A Winter Olympics here would be more surprising than seeing a bolt-necked monster roaming the streets, but how would you brand one?

WINTER 2030 CITY TWO: BUCHAREST, ROMANIA

Palace Of Parliament Bucharest.jpg

Romania might strike as more of a summer sport nation, but they have begun to host & bid for winter events too. Plus anything goes in the logo comp - & you really can't do spooky without Romania. Its uniquely unfortunate history gives it TWO of the most terrifying people to rule in Europe, Vlad the Impaler & Nicolae Ceaucescu. And that's before you start on the whole vampire thing. How would you brand a rather different Winter Games?

SUMMER 2032 CITY ONE: NEW ORLEANS, USA

1024px-ChrisLitherlandBourbonSt.jpg

How could we not? New Orleans might not be one of the cities often talked about when Uncle Sam wants the Olympic rings again, but as the city of voodoo & jazz funerals, it's a true no-brainer for this one. Throw in all its other cultural specialities & it's frankly amazing it's never been here before. No shortage of possibilities, so how would you brand the Games in the Big Easy?

SUMMER 2032 CITY 2: CAIRO, EGYPT

Pyramids of the Giza Necropolis.jpg

(Yes, I know they're not technically in Cairo). We've only had one African city in 12 comps, so it's well past time for another visit. And as AFAIK, we've never had an Arab world city either, where better than the largest city of the continent? There's no shortage of design inspiration here, & from the film The Mummy to the curse of Tutankhamun, there's no shortage of spooks either. How would you brand the Games in the Middle East AND Africa?

THE RULES/FORMAT

We are, as ever, after logos that encompass the overall feel of the city and local influences that can be tied into a design concept. How can any of these cities articulate graphically what they could bring to future Olympics hosting? What flavour will they bring to the games? Will it inspire any of these to actually bid for the damn thing? 

The logos should be presented as full colour designs on white background. If you like, however, they can also be presented in black and white or utilised in forms like street banners, t-shirts, apps, vehicles, pins etc. For voting purposes, the main (colour) logo will be used on the polls, & extra stuff is not obligatory, but any extra material you produce may help you “sell” your design better to the wider GamesBids voting membership. Spookiness is not obligatory (the cities are the theme, it's a normal comp) but if you wanna go big on the whole 13 thing, nobody will stop you.

These logos are for the cities as they HOST the games. So you CAN use the rings, and don't need to include the words “Candidate City, Olympic Games 2030/32” or whatever the IOC want this week.

Please post your preliminary submissions on this thread. If you want to hold anything back to be presented as a “surprise” when voting starts you can contact me or Rols via PM and I'll tell you where you can send the extra material. However, it would be nice to see as many on-thread submissions as possible for people to chew over in-thread, & to try & get the old buzz back.

You can submit logos for any of the cities, & anything up to all 4 of them. However, you cannot enter more than one logo for the same city (see below). So entering one logo for each of Darmstadt, New Orleans & Cairo is fine, but two logos for New Orleans, say, is not fine. You are able, encouraged even, to enter for multiple cities.

Feel free to post as many logo designs as you like, & to ask for feedback from our famously discerning electorate. If you really can't decide between your own designs for a city, feel free to start a poll (or to ask for one to be started). When the time comes for voting, however, you will be asked to settle on a maximum of ONLY ONE official logo per city as your official entry. 

The format depends on the numbers. Most likely, it will be the traditional exhausting exhaustive ballot preferred by the IOC, but if numbers fit & opinion ok, we may have the World Cup-style tournament system. Whatever happens, the winter & summer 'halves' will be entirely separate, there will be two winners in the Olympic comp tradition. 

The competition is open to all members of GamesBids, or to any new legitimate members who join before the end of the submission period. I, with consultation, will rule on the legitimacy of new members.

As you would expect, I will rule on any disputes - always aiming to be as fair as possible in the process. As always, just remember, this is all meant to be fun. Olympic spirit, remember?. 

Hopefully this will spark up some action on the board. I'll be dipping in, keeping a close eye on things, but otherwise will try and keep my green yoshi-paws off until the polling stages.

The deadline for submissions is 1pm London time (that is, midnight in Sydney, as per tradition) on NEW YEAR'S EVE, 31 DECEMBER 2019. Thus, GB will begin the new decade & Olympic year 2020 with the voting.

And this is just to alert @Rob. to the existence of the new comp in the hope that he'll do his traditional bit of putting up links to various free design programs etc for the benefit of those who want to take part but may not have the facility at the moment.

All that is left to say is thank you Rols once again, and to all participants for having the guts to put your logos up for the annual GamesBids dissection, & may the best logos win. 

There are too many languages involved to do this properly, so I'll just say GOOD LUCK! :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2019 at 11:21 PM, yoshi said:

BOO!

And this is just to alert @Rob. to the existence of the new comp in the hope that he'll do his traditional bit of putting up links to various free design programs etc for the benefit of those who want to take part but may not have the facility at the moment.

Inkscape for logo creation:
https://inkscape.org/release/inkscape-0.92.4/

Something like PaintNet if you want to photoshop your logo onto any IRL scenes
https://www.getpaint.net/

Doubt I'll get a chance to submit anything, but hopes this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Jeez, just might have a chance at winning this year, considering no-one else seems to be noticing it. Well, there's Glacib (by the way Glacib, is that an entry you posted? - I'm just seeing a blank space).

Anyway, I present my entry for Cairo 2032, based on the Egyptian lotus, while also (hopefully) suggesting the Olympic flame.

49251474926_14daae3255_o.jpg

So, anyone gonna try take it on? @paul? @daveypodmore? @JDCLauron? @woohooitsme83? @aismanggo? Anyone? Is there anybody about there??????

• Like 1

Merry Christmas! As the board is pretty much dead, so there’s nobody finding this organically, I can only really alert people to the comp by notifying them directly. So, here goes: 

@Utkarsh Verma @JDCLauron @Glacib @Scotguy @paul @daveypodmore @woohooitsme83 @JO2024 @mr.bernham @Lord David @thatsnotmypuppy @VIK @JMarkSnow2012 @baron-pierreIV

I know some of these people have been notified already but these are all the people who were involved in the last couple of comps. If anyone sees this but feels that the week left to NYE isn’t long enough, then post on here saying so & if there’s enough, then in the best EU tradition, the deadline might prove to be somewhat flexible ^_^

ANNOUNCEMENT 

Image result for boris zipline

Hello, good morning & hello...big Boris Johnson here, with a big Boris announcement for you all! I was taking a break from being chased around the Commons by Jacob Rees-Mogg & couldn’t help noticing this great jamboree of creating visual signifiers of proximate games of the Olympic variety! I had a pop at designing a couple - you wouldn’t want to see them but I tell you, it’s the most fun I’ve had on a Monday since [CENSORED]. I feel that such a great event deserves a proper ending, so - this is what we shall do. I am ordering that this competition be extended for the month of January 2020. That way, there’s time to at least try to get the number of entries that a competition of this calibre surely deserves. Then, the deadline will be marked by Big Ben’s Big Brexit Bong at 11pm GMT ON 31 JANUARY. It would be a sin if we were to let such a rare sounding of the being-refurbished bell go to waste. Thank you, happy new year & I hope that the team will soon come to get me off this wire. Toodle-pip! 

Yoshi: Thank you Boris, I think. The rescuers will be with you eventually but for now we’re all just taking pictures. Anyway, you heard the PM, it’s a sad state of affairs when we’re relying on the Youth Olympics to get some momentum into the board, but we are where we are. Happy New Year! 

Here's my (perhaps, official) ENTRY #1!

DARMSTADT 2030!!

Hn0dR5k.png

The logo features a landmark attributed to Darmstadt--the Hochzeitsturm, or "Wedding Tower"--through its "five-fingered" roofing, which has served as the seat of "contemporary art and culture" in the city. The "five fingers" detail is then applied into the illusion of a snowflake, reminiscent of winter, and a cube, oriented asymmetrically to convey the sense of motion, dynamism, and progression.

ENTRY #2!

BUCHAREST 2030!!

9Gtr3IA.png

Inspired by the Romanian peony (Peonia tenuifolia), one of the floral species considered emblematic to Romania, the logo also contains, at the center, a brush stroke style representation of the map of Romania (gold in color), including the capital Bucharest (turquoise in color) on its very location.

ENTRY #3! Heading to summer...

NEW ORLEANS 2032!!

91T8HTb.png

The logo is a stylized representation of the fleur-de-lis, a symbol based on the Iris versicolor species that is symbolic to New Orleans, Louisiana and other places with history of French settlement. The three petals take the form of tongues of fire, symbolizing the Olympic flame. The blue ribbon in this context is not only reminiscent of the finish line ribbon, associated with foot races that have persisted throughout Olympic Games history, but also the Mississippi River, along which New Orleans is located.

Literally no reason for this post other than to bump the link back into recent threads now there’s some actual board activity for the first time in ages - & in the absence of any other means of promotion. I guess I can say there’s less than 3 weeks to the deadline, so that’s a reason :) 

This took me the longest, from concept to completion! ENTRY #4 is...

CAIRO 2032!!

iOFgXAY.png

The logo features a stylized white "sun", inspired by Coptic origin of the name of Cairo -- Kahira, which means "land of the sun". It also contains the name of the city written in Arabic (see photo below, apparently not my official submission for Cairo 2032). The three colors blue, yellow, and purple represent the core Olympic values -- excellence, friendship, and respect, respectively.

5n8sKQ6.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

BONG*

*not an actual bong, but PROJECTED CLOCK doesn't sound as good.

Yes, it's time to finally Get Brexit Logocomp Done! I'm afraid the period of submissions is now OVER. 

There's no getting away from it, this board isn't dead but it's `not exactly lively either, & we have a decidedly small field. We have just 8 entries in total, 3 from our winter competition & 5 from summer. Despite this, tradition is tradition - we will have winners for both winter & summer. They will be decided in the traditional way, by an IOC-style exhaustingive ballot, which will proceed without a shortlist round. Voting will begin tomorrow (or possibly Sunday depending on what’s more convenient for organising) with the first of the winter voting rounds. The rounds will be open for 48 rather than 24 hours, as a) it'll hopefully get more votes, & b) it's not like there's many of them. So, sorry for the small field, we did all we could, but we must and we will have winners :) See you for the voting!

Wow Paul, there’s last minute...well I don’t particularly want to start the voting on a Saturday night anyway, so if you can come up with something for one or both of the winter cities by tomorrow night at around 10/11pm UK time, then I won’t be strict on it. The winter comp needs all the help it can get :P  And the summer voting won’t be starting until the winter voting is over, so...again I won’t be terribly strict :) 

(just please, for me, notice the next comp before the deadline lol :lol:)