Paris 2024's Official Mascot

Ultimately, Oly mascots are always a bit hokey. It’s sorta their purpose. They’re meant to be kids toys, or just a fun, irreverent symbol of the games. Or even just another merchandise stream. Some are more hokey than others - I’m looking at the moronic Neve and Glitz or those club-footed Greeks. Some try to be high concept - like Cobi - but I think that misses the mark of the audience.

Mischa was probably the first truly cute, fit for purpose, mascot and to me is probably still the high mark. But, to me at least, these are not far behind. I was a tad unsure at first glimpse - the 3D Twitter reveal - but seeing the 2D versions and learning of the “tribe” aspect has really sold me on them. I think they have personality and the whole aspect of making them a Minions-style tribe is a masterstroke. One of the things London did well with theirs (even if I think they were a bit cold and uncuddly) was how they managed to make them collectables - Beefeater Wenlock, Bobby Wenlock etc - and I think there’s so much scope for the French to be able to do the same with Les Phryges.

spacer.png

I’m surprised I haven’t seen them offered in the Paris 2024 store as actual hats yet. But I still expect that to happen - surely just too good an opportunity to broaden the sales channels beyond plushies and collectibles.

And, yes, it’s a sport in itself - on this site and the internet at large - to look for ways to mock new logos and mascots. It’s all part of the game. And yeah, just like it’s hard to un-see London’s 2012 logo as Lisa giving head, the clitorises? clitorii? are hard to mentally shake. But again, so, so feminine, and so, so - by stereotype at least - French. An added Frisson to them. Vive La Sexualite!

To this followers of Oly mascots at least, they’ve risen to number two on my all-time ranking of mascots. I’ve yet to deduct any points from Paris for their visual and graphic designs.  

Edited by Sir Rols

To me, they look like pigeons (or doves).  Why didn't they just go with that?  Lumpy cushions that are neither this nor that?  I dunno.  And I just saw it somewhere.  They are selling for 34.95 euros (probably more at the airports).  That's pretty steep.  I'd just wait until after the Games, I'm sure they'll be in the bargain basement at Galleries Lafayette or Le Samaritaine.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

15 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

It's quite strange indeed why qatar's la'eeb looks like casper the friendly ghost, and seems like french thought it was a good idea to use headwear too, good thing is that maybe we can expect a mariachi hat for 2026 and a football helmet for 2028

Except the "Phrygia cap" is such an obscure headgear.  The berets, toques, etc. are all better known French headwear.  I would have done a Dancing Baguette instead.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...