Belarus with Russia or Ukraine

stryker

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1084526/belarus-olympic-bid-russia-ukraine

So on the heels of the European Games, Lukashenko wants the big prize, but recognizes that Minsk can't go it alone. Even with changes to the bidding procedure, why would Russia join up with anyone (Ukraine isn't an option). It's a pipe dream and I suspect we'll see more of these joint-bids, but I imagine very few, if any, are viable.

I commented in another thread shortly after the end of the 2026 race that the SOGs, with their sheer size, now seemed to be limited to a handful of countries that can realistically host with minimal to moderate costs and sustain a viable legacy. The IOC is going to want safe hosts after the debacle in Rio and the costly overruns of Pyeongchang and Tokyo so I suspect they will take a targeted approach with the likes of the UK, US, Western Europe, Australia, Russia, China, Korea, and Japan along developing countries like Indonesia, India, Malaysia, along with all of Africa and South America.

That leaves the likes of Belarus on the outside looking in unless they can co-host, but as I mentioned before, why would Russia do so when they could easily host everything themselves? Then there's the YOGs which is much more suited for Minsk.I expect you will see the IOC market the YOGs as a scaled down version of the big one in order to go to cities like MInsk and Dakar.

Isn't there serious talk of Belarus rejoining Russia anyway?

There was a story not long ago that Putin can be President again if it happens... I'm not sure how much of it is fantasy though.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/01/29/a-brotherly-takeover-could-russia-annex-belarus-op-ed-a64326

Im not so sure its serious.  I dont see Minsk or Belarus as a serious contender.  Russia would prefer the pomp of it all themselves.  Assuming Brisbane is the object of the IOC's desire right now, St Petersburg could comfortably make a run themselves in 2036.  Beautiful city too, would love to see the olympics there.

22 hours ago, mountainboarder_530@yahoo. said:

Im not so sure its serious.  I dont see Minsk or Belarus as a serious contender.  Russia would prefer the pomp of it all themselves.  Assuming Brisbane is the object of the IOC's desire right now, St Petersburg could comfortably make a run themselves in 2036.  Beautiful city too, would love to see the olympics there.

The locals didn't get behind the 2004 bid. I doubt there is much appetite for an Olympics there now either.

14 minutes ago, thatsnotmypuppy said:

The locals didn't get behind the 2004 bid. I doubt there is much appetite for an Olympics there now either.

I dunno, itd be 17 years down the line.  If someone in a similar authoritarian mold of Putin is in that could tip the thumb on the scales.  The success of the World Cup could make it more enticing too.  18 years from the world cup, it could be "time" for something again, and plenty of time for the forgiveness for doping card to be played.  

When 2004 bidding happened in the mid-90s, Russia was in deep economic and social troubles with a weak President.

Now, Putin tries to portray his country as a superpower again, so the context is different. OTOH, the post-Putin era 2030 and beyond might be very unstable again. Signs are already on the walls.