stryker

IOC Changes and Problematic Venues

The sliding track is the most problematic venue IMO for the WOGs in terms of a suitable legacy and as we saw in the 2026 race, the IOC has shown an openness to regional bids using existing venues as the Stockholm bid showed.

It will be interesting to see how this concept works for the SOGs as I'd say the velodrome and the slalom canoe course are the two most problematic in terms of a sustainable legacy. After those two I'd put the tennis venue next. Will the IOC be open to spreading out venues in the larger SOGs? Of course there's also the much discussed and problematic Olympic Stadium.

11 minutes ago, stryker said:

The sliding track is the most problematic venue IMO for the WOGs in terms of a suitable legacy and as we saw in the 2026 race, the IOC has shown an openness to regional bids using existing venues as the Stockholm bid showed.

It will be interesting to see how this concept works for the SOGs as I'd say the velodrome and the slalom canoe course are the two most problematic in terms of a sustainable legacy. After those two I'd put the tennis venue next. Will the IOC be open to spreading out venues in the larger SOGs? Of course there's also the much discussed and problematic Olympic Stadium.

The simpler solution is to CUT DOWN the number of sports.  That way, David Wallachinsky (and his estate) can resume printing the Complete Book of the Olympics with all the stats -- because there are just TOO MANY SPORTS going on, and then all the doping catches/re-assigning the medal assignments, made him give up the project.  Less is MORE; but I guess the IOC doesn't see it that way.  They must have half-a-dozen employees at their new headquarters just working on: correcting Olympic medalists lists, the re-assignment of the new winners; and all the footnote explanations of each one.  It's really quite crazy.  

11 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

The simpler solution is to CUT DOWN the number of sports.  That way, David Wallachinsky (and his estate) can resume printing the Complete Book of the Olympics with all the stats -- because there are just TOO MANY SPORTS going on, and then all the doping catches/re-assigning the medal assignments, made him give up the project.  Less is MORE; but I guess the IOC doesn't see it that way.  They must have half-a-dozen employees at their new headquarters just working on: correcting Olympic medalists lists, the re-assignment of the new winners; and all the footnote explanations of each one.  It's really quite crazy.  

I agree. The problem is the influence the respective sports federations have over the IOC and host cities and there does not seem to be any indication that has been put in check. I realize the Olympics are still over 8 years away for LA but as an example, how long before FINA complains about using Dedeaux Field for aquatics when there's no roof or the UCI says the velodrome is too small capacity wise?

As for the number of sports it's getting bigger. I don't see why as a compromise the Olympics cannot do what the CWGs do; have a set number of mandatory sports and allow the host city to select a handful of additional ones. Of course then that leads to a fight among the sports federations over who gets on the mandatory list

2 hours ago, stryker said:

Tennis won't be an issue.  A city can built tennis courts that can be used recreationally (as opposed to a slalom canoe course.. not so much) and then the main court can incorporate temporary stands to keep the costs down.  So it wouldn't necessarily be an expensive venue to construct and it's one where if planned properly could see usage after the Olympics.

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I used to be a big fan of the Wallechinsky books, but the Internet killed the market for that.  Why buy a book when all that information is available at a moment's notice online?  The number of sports has nothing to do with it, nor does all the posthumous results changes.

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

I used to be a big fan of the Wallechinsky books, but the Internet killed the market for that.  Why buy a book when all that information is available at a moment's notice online?  The number of sports has nothing to do with it, nor does all the posthumous results changes.

That's your opinion.  I prefer them in one or 2 volumes.  Chacun sont gout.  

55 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

That's your opinion.  I prefer them in one or 2 volumes.  Chacun sont gout.   

You're in the minority on that one.  Very few people (especially those outside of the demographic of "older than dirt") will pay money for a book that gets outdated every 4 years and whose contents can be found online for free.

I think that Olympics should get bigger and either be over 3 weeks, so some venues can be used for more different things. Or make it 2x2 weeks in 2 different cities, as I before has mentioned somewhere…. 

It's not so much an issue with either the quality or the quantity of venues, but requiring cities to have BOTH quality and quantity. There are plenty of sliding centers, speed skating rinks, et al to support the winter Olympics. They just happen to be spread out in many different cities. So the IOC is going to be faced with a lot more bids like Sweden+Latvia and Poland+Slovakia.

21 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Tennis won't be an issue.  A city can built tennis courts that can be used recreationally (as opposed to a slalom canoe course.. not so much) and then the main court can incorporate temporary stands to keep the costs down.  So it wouldn't necessarily be an expensive venue to construct and it's one where if planned properly could see usage after the Olympics.

Just yesterday I was touring Hard Rock Stadium with my father who's considering buying Miami Dolphins season tickets this year and I saw the tennis complex they've built on the parking lot including a grandstand with temporary seating (the Miami Open moved to the stadium this year from Crandon Park). Immediately saw it and thought the same thing about temporary seating. I based my thoughts on tennis being a problematic venue with the legacies of Atlanta (Stone Mountain Tennis Center closed), Rio (Olympic Tennis Center largely sits empty. Probably wasn't needed as the Rio Open is held on nearby clay courts) and Athens (largely empty although AEK Athens Basketball has kicked around the idea of buying it and putting a roof over it as their new home). On a side note, I read where Sydney's main court is set to receive upgrades including a canopy-style roof so the new stadium can be used for two local netball clubs, New South Wales Swifts and Giants Netball..

15 hours ago, Nacre said:

It's not so much an issue with either the quality or the quantity of venues, but requiring cities to have BOTH quality and quantity. There are plenty of sliding centers, speed skating rinks, et al to support the winter Olympics. They just happen to be spread out in many different cities. So the IOC is going to be faced with a lot more bids like Sweden+Latvia and Poland+Slovakia.

Same concept in the WOGs needs to be applied to the SOGs, but again, it comes down to how feisty the IFs are going to be over it.

On 7/25/2019 at 12:40 PM, Quaker2001 said:

You're in the minority on that one.  Very few people (especially those outside of the demographic of "older than dirt") will pay money for a book that gets outdated every 4 years and whose contents can be found online for free.

I don't care what others think or prefer.   

Edited by baron-pierreIV

4 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I don't care what others think or prefer.   

Yes, this has long since been established.  Likewise, I doubt Wallechinsky cares what you think or prefer.  You and I were once a part of his audience and would pay for his work.  Times changed and I moved on.  You should do the same because for better or worse, those books aren't coming back and no amount of change to the IOC or the Olympics will make it happen.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Yes, this has long since been established.  Likewise, I doubt Wallechinsky cares what you think or prefer.  You and I were once a part of his audience and would pay for his work.  Times changed and I moved on.  You should do the same because for better or worse, those books aren't coming back and no amount of change to the IOC or the Olympics will make it happen.

Uh, what makes you think I don't know that?  You're such a KNOW-IT-ALL sometimes!