Sign in to follow this  
Hansfromdenmark

Fifa World Womens Cup 2023 host?

On 1/10/2020 at 1:39 AM, stryker said:

FIFA is leaning towards the WWC being held every two years now instead of four.

Can you confirm this? I have not seen any indication of this anywhere - in fact, them expanding the women's tournament to 32 teams like the men's World Cup seems to indicate they're more in this for the traditional 4 year haul.

Honestly, I find every 2 years to be somewhat insulting to the women footballers and their clubs. Why should women get half the glory? Further, on the basis of developing club teams and growing football in certain regions, how are they to do that when the icons/stars will be pulled more frequently for national team commitments?

On 4/4/2020 at 11:20 PM, anthonyliberatori said:

Can you confirm this? I have not seen any indication of this anywhere - in fact, them expanding the women's tournament to 32 teams like the men's World Cup seems to indicate they're more in this for the traditional 4 year haul.

Honestly, I find every 2 years to be somewhat insulting to the women footballers and their clubs. Why should women get half the glory? Further, on the basis of developing club teams and growing football in certain regions, how are they to do that when the icons/stars will be pulled more frequently for national team commitments?

It's not official yet. Infantino mentioned the idea last December. https://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/story/2019-12-20/womens-world-cup-could-be-held-every-two-years-fifa-president-says

Meanwhile, details are emerging about the proposed joint bid for 2023 between Australia and New Zealand. Eden Park would host the opening match while Sydney's rebuilt ANZ Stadium would host the final. Australia would host matches in Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Newcastle, Launceston, and Melbourne while New Zealand would host matches in Auckland, Wellington, Dunedin, Christchurch, and Hamilton.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1092973/australia-new-zealand-womens-world-cup

On 4/10/2020 at 4:39 PM, stryker said:

What I thought, it was a "mention". That same mention wasn't met well by many players and clubs, and many of them, including the likes of Megan Rapinoe and Julie Foudy, voiced their opinions against this. It really isn't fair to give women half the glory all under the guise of "developing the sport". If they have all of this money to throw at host nations and clubs for qualifying, I would argue it would be more advantageous for them to fund clubs and television networks to showcase the women's game. As we learned with France 2019, if it's on TV, people will watch it. If they are given something to cheer for, they will pay money and go cheer for it. This idea has never been floated for the men's world cup because they recognize how important and special of an event it is, and athletes give up their bodies and countless months away from home to train, knowing they only have 3, maybe 4, chances to go at lifting that trophy. I know it wasn't you in particular who suggested it, but quite frankly, it's not fair to women at all, and I doubt they would be able to fill a 55k+ stadium for a final, much less for four quarterfinals, two semi finals, and a 3rd place game, every 2 years. It actually might be more advantageous for them to coordinate and support more small tournaments, like the Tournament of Nations and Tournoi de France, to help grow the national team culture while the club culture grows. Just a thought.

It does not happen in the mens game because there are already plenty of high revenue competitions and leagues for mens football, while women's club football loses lots of money. (IIRC Everton is the only top tier women's football club in Europe that runs at a profit.) The women's world cup is the only time the sport takes in lots of money, and thus generates income for female players.

The problem with boosting women's sport is that professional sports are bad for the world. It is the mens side of sport that is irrationally supported: it gets too much support. Mens football (and cricket, rugby, baseball, basketball, handball, etc) has lots of support and money because it is an "us vs them" fight that appeals to the worst part of human nature. We root for "our" blues to defeat "their" reds. Male professional athletes get paid millions of pounds/dollars/etc because they are warriors of civic or community nationalism. Conversely female athletes earn approximately the same amount of money that musicians, artists, and other culture workers earn, because women's club football is not seen as an aspect of civic or community nationalism. If we were to make a logical decision to assign people revenue based on their contributions to society, then male footballers would be paid less rather than female footballers earning more.

Edited by Nacre