Fifa World Womens Cup 2023 Aust-NZ

On 1/10/2020 at 1:39 AM, stryker said:

FIFA is leaning towards the WWC being held every two years now instead of four.

Can you confirm this? I have not seen any indication of this anywhere - in fact, them expanding the women's tournament to 32 teams like the men's World Cup seems to indicate they're more in this for the traditional 4 year haul.

Honestly, I find every 2 years to be somewhat insulting to the women footballers and their clubs. Why should women get half the glory? Further, on the basis of developing club teams and growing football in certain regions, how are they to do that when the icons/stars will be pulled more frequently for national team commitments?

On 4/4/2020 at 11:20 PM, anthonyliberatori said:

Can you confirm this? I have not seen any indication of this anywhere - in fact, them expanding the women's tournament to 32 teams like the men's World Cup seems to indicate they're more in this for the traditional 4 year haul.

Honestly, I find every 2 years to be somewhat insulting to the women footballers and their clubs. Why should women get half the glory? Further, on the basis of developing club teams and growing football in certain regions, how are they to do that when the icons/stars will be pulled more frequently for national team commitments?

It's not official yet. Infantino mentioned the idea last December. https://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/story/2019-12-20/womens-world-cup-could-be-held-every-two-years-fifa-president-says

Meanwhile, details are emerging about the proposed joint bid for 2023 between Australia and New Zealand. Eden Park would host the opening match while Sydney's rebuilt ANZ Stadium would host the final. Australia would host matches in Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Newcastle, Launceston, and Melbourne while New Zealand would host matches in Auckland, Wellington, Dunedin, Christchurch, and Hamilton.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1092973/australia-new-zealand-womens-world-cup

On 4/10/2020 at 4:39 PM, stryker said:

What I thought, it was a "mention". That same mention wasn't met well by many players and clubs, and many of them, including the likes of Megan Rapinoe and Julie Foudy, voiced their opinions against this. It really isn't fair to give women half the glory all under the guise of "developing the sport". If they have all of this money to throw at host nations and clubs for qualifying, I would argue it would be more advantageous for them to fund clubs and television networks to showcase the women's game. As we learned with France 2019, if it's on TV, people will watch it. If they are given something to cheer for, they will pay money and go cheer for it. This idea has never been floated for the men's world cup because they recognize how important and special of an event it is, and athletes give up their bodies and countless months away from home to train, knowing they only have 3, maybe 4, chances to go at lifting that trophy. I know it wasn't you in particular who suggested it, but quite frankly, it's not fair to women at all, and I doubt they would be able to fill a 55k+ stadium for a final, much less for four quarterfinals, two semi finals, and a 3rd place game, every 2 years. It actually might be more advantageous for them to coordinate and support more small tournaments, like the Tournament of Nations and Tournoi de France, to help grow the national team culture while the club culture grows. Just a thought.

It does not happen in the mens game because there are already plenty of high revenue competitions and leagues for mens football, while women's club football loses lots of money. (IIRC Everton is the only top tier women's football club in Europe that runs at a profit.) The women's world cup is the only time the sport takes in lots of money, and thus generates income for female players.

The problem with boosting women's sport is that professional sports are bad for the world. It is the mens side of sport that is irrationally supported: it gets too much support. Mens football (and cricket, rugby, baseball, basketball, handball, etc) has lots of support and money because it is an "us vs them" fight that appeals to the worst part of human nature. We root for "our" blues to defeat "their" reds. Male professional athletes get paid millions of pounds/dollars/etc because they are warriors of civic or community nationalism. Conversely female athletes earn approximately the same amount of money that musicians, artists, and other culture workers earn, because women's club football is not seen as an aspect of civic or community nationalism. If we were to make a logical decision to assign people revenue based on their contributions to society, then male footballers would be paid less rather than female footballers earning more.

Edited by Nacre

• 1 month later...

FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023™ Bid Evaluation Report published – three bids submitted to FIFA Council

Following a detailed assessment of the bid books and visits to the bidding countries, today FIFA confirmed that three bids will be submitted to the FIFA Council in order for it to select the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023™ host(s) at its meeting to be held online on 25 June 2020. The three qualifying bids are:

• joint submission by Football Federation Australia and New Zealand Football;
  • submission by the Colombian Football Association;
  • submission by the Japan Football Association.

The Brazilian Football Association informed FIFA on Monday, 8 June, of its decision to withdraw its bid.

The evaluation report is now available here.

https://www.fifa.com/who-we-are/news/fifa-women-s-world-cup-2023tm-bid-evaluation-report-published-three-bids-submitt

So far the only 3 bids that are for sure definite are:

Australia/New Zealand co hosts

Colombia 

Japan

Honestly, for me I know I want to see the tournament hosted in Australia/New Zealand. Because not only would it be the first time in the history of the Women's World Cup that it would be hosted in 2 different countries but this would be the first time the tournament expands to 32 teams.

32 teams worked out well for the Men for decades so who knows what this can do for the Women's Game 

But I wonder how allocation will work for the Women since it will be 32 teams?

For me I think allocation would have to be similar to how the Men have done it:

CONCACAF (3.5)

CAF (Africa)- (5)

AFC (Asia)- (4.5)

CONMEBOL (South America)- (4.5)

OFC (Oceania)- (0.5)

UEFA (Europe)- (13)

Basically equals up to 32 teams for the women and you can have your Inter continental playoffs for the women (AFC vs OFC) (CONCACAF vs CONMEBOL)

Basically giving the Women's World Cup more of a Men's World Cup type feel

• 2 weeks later...

Well now this is interesting.... 

Even though the 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup is set to be announced in a couple of days, it appears Japan will be withdrawing their bid meaning the Australian/New Zealand bid is poised to win the hosting rights for the tournament.

"Japanese news website, Kyodo News, which is said to have around 50 million subscribers, reported on Monday afternoon that Japan's Football Association is set to withdraw its bid. 

Shortly after, Japan's national broadcaster NHK also reported that the bid would be withdrawn, with an official announcement expected on Monday evening at 7:30pm (AEST). 

If confirmed, that would leave only Colombia as Australia and New Zealand's only competition to host the tournament..."

Read more: https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/japan-to-withdraw-2023-women-s-world-cup-bid-report

SO- this morning UEFA have said they will support Columbia, effectively sinking the AUS/NZ bid...

They have apparently said they want to open the game to new frontiers....in a time of COVID, global recession, with only 3 years to organise an expanded tournament...I would have thought a super safe choice would have been the only sensible choice. But we are talking FIFA.....

15 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

SO- this morning UEFA have said they will support Columbia, effectively sinking the AUS/NZ bid...

They have apparently said they want to open the game to new frontiers....in a time of COVID, global recession, with only 3 years to organise an expanded tournament...I would have thought a super safe choice would have been the only sensible choice. But we are talking FIFA.....

You were saying...

Australia & New Zealand Win Vote To Host 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup

I love it...Australia and New Zealand are co hosts...this is not only great for the Women's game but great for Women's football as a whole. The first time the tournament will be held by 32 teams and it only made sense that Australia/New Zealand won this right to host given the infrastructure.

I mean was it ever really in doubt that Australia/New Zealand weren't going to win the rights to host? I mean they have better infrastructure, better tourism hub, better airport access for teams to arrive in country by plane, better transportation hub to get from and to the stadiums

I am sorry to say all of this but it is true and that is why they were awarded the tournament

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

I mean was it ever really in doubt that Australia/New Zealand weren't going to win the rights to host? I mean they have better infrastructure, better tourism hub, better airport access for teams to arrive in country by plane, better transportation hub to get from and to the stadiums

I am sorry to say all of this but it is true and that is why they were awarded the tournament

This is FIFA we're talking about.  Who once chose Qatar over the United States.  So yes, it wasn't 100% that Australia/New Zealand would win, even against a less interesting bid

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

I was wrong, hooray!

But all of UEFA voted for Columbia...they called it a 'developmental tournament' for aspiring countries wanting to spread womens football.  What a load of crap!

Yeah okay but at the same time Australia and New Zealand did have the better bid

:angry: Don't expect New Zealand and Australia to support any future England Men's FIFA WC bid in retaliation.

...And EXPECT the sh!ttiest seats in the stadiums to be allocated to England supporters. :angry:

6 hours ago, Alexjc said:

Don't expect New Zealand and Australia to support any future England Men's FIFA WC bid in retaliation.

I guess now's a good time to get rid of that watermark on our flags :lol:

On a serious note, the Women's World Cup could be a great catalyst event to see if we could potentially co-host the FIFA World Cup as soon as 2034.

15 hours ago, Alexjc said:

:angry: Don't expect New Zealand and Australia to support any future England Men's FIFA WC bid in retaliation.

...And EXPECT the sh!ttiest seats in the stadiums to be allocated to England supporters. :angry:

Lol, along with the rest of Europe I take it? Unfortunately UEFA decided to instruct its members to vote as a bloc. With UEFA saying they'll only support one European bid for 2030, stepping out of line and losing UEFA support for 2030 would end up being a much worse result for us than annoying New Zealand.

I don't know how you prevent that sort of thing going on, but bloc voting seems to be the way of things now for all confederations, and FAs seem reluctant to upset their continental apple carts as they're worried about the consequences.

I'm happy you guys won anyway! Looking forward to it. 

Edited by Rob.

FIFA made the right decision for the first time in sooo long. As for UEFA’s bloc votes, it’s sad to see that even now individuals in FIFA don’t get to vote for themselves, & from a perspective of naked self-interest re 2030, the FA probably made the decision that’d piss off fewer voters, but the real insult is the reason given by UEFA - describing the Women’s World Cup as a ‘development tournament’. Whoever at UEFA came up with that one should be ashamed of themselves :angry: Congrats ANZ, hopefully you’ll show FIFA what 2022 could’ve been too if the brown envelopes hadn’t won. 

• Like 1