Fifa World Womens Cup 2023 Aust-NZ

Now watching the FIFA World womens cup final, between USA and Holland, I was interested in who shall host the next one in 2023. It looks like the host not yet has been chosen. But it looks like there are quite a lot of bids for it on this article:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_FIFA_Women's_World_Cup 

But no European country. Who do you out there see as favorite? I Think Australia. 

(As a side note I can tell that Denmark in cooperation with the other Nordic nations are working on a joint bid for 2027, it could be very exiting.)

Edited by Sir Rols

1 hour ago, Hansfromdenmark said:

Now watching the FIFA World womens cup final, between USA and Holland, I was interested in who shall host the next one in 2023. It looks like the host not yet has been chosen. But it looks like there are quite a lot of bids for it on this article:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_FIFA_Women's_World_Cup 

But no European country. Who do you out there see as favorite? I Think Australia. 

(As a side note I can tell that Denmark in cooperation with the other Nordic nations are working on a joint bid for 2027, it could be very exiting.)

I am going to say it's a three horse race between Australia, Japan, and Brazil with Brazil a slight favorite since it would represent a new frontier of sorts in a country where the women's game is growing. Brazil also fits into that all-important U.S. media market with a favorable time zone. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Australia and New Zealand form bid to co-host 2023 Women's World Cup

64ebed6a82084ee639f52a4b1cafb836d34a8bdb

Australia and New Zealand will join forces in their bid to host the 2023 Women's World Cup after reaching an 11th-hour agreement before the bid deadline on Friday.

Football Federation Australia have abandoned plans to bid for the tournament alone and will instead partner with New Zealand Football to co-host the expanded 32-team tournament

They will bid for the event against Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Japan and possibly a joint bid between North and South Korea...

Read full article: The Sydney Morning Herald

22 hours ago, Vill said:

Australia and New Zealand form bid to co-host 2023 Women's World Cup

64ebed6a82084ee639f52a4b1cafb836d34a8bdb

Australia and New Zealand will join forces in their bid to host the 2023 Women's World Cup after reaching an 11th-hour agreement before the bid deadline on Friday.

Football Federation Australia have abandoned plans to bid for the tournament alone and will instead partner with New Zealand Football to co-host the expanded 32-team tournament

They will bid for the event against Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Japan and possibly a joint bid between North and South Korea...

Read full article: The Sydney Morning Herald

Simply no reason for this. Australia could do it all by itself, without building venues for it as well. The good thing about the WWC is that you only really need stadiums that can seat around 20-30k people - half of the group games against the smaller nations likely won't sell out anyways. Coupled with how far away Australia is from everything, I expect that to be even more the case. Adding NZL makes it harder for tourists to get between the games, and considering the women's game is not as popular as the men's, I think that might discourage some from attending. NZL and Australia are further than most think, and by trying to co-host, it just adds a mess of confusion for the organizers and planners, as well as TV providers because of the time changes. 

I was personally tied between Australia and Brazil for 2023, but now that Australia has combined forces with NZL, I think logistically, I'm leaning towards Brazil. The Women's game is really taking hold there, it has the television market for the Americans (same team, 43% decrease in viewers from American primetime), and the venues were recently built and renovated for the World Cup and Olympics. Also support Japan, but I would rather them put their eggs in the basket for Sapporo 2034, so I'm biased. 

However, I understand why with the expansion to 32 teams, they would want to split it between Australia and New Zealand. However, as I stated in my above post, the location makes it extremely hard for tourists to get there, and the timezones will mess up primetime. In France, England played against Scotland in front of a mere 15,000 fans ... what makes anyone think the Brits would fly that far for  a team that continues to disappoint them (barring they don't win gold at Tokyo 2020), when they couldn't take the one hour flight down to Nice, or the train across the channel to Le Havre? At least for Brazil, the only market that cannot be reached with a direct flight will be Asia, which hurts the AFC teams. However, two of those spots are almost guaranteed to Australia and Japan (unless something disastrous happens during their qualifying). For the Australians, they are a direct flight to Brazil, and for the Japanese, there are a significant amount of Japanese immigrants to Brazil (over 1 million of Japanese dissent in the country), so that could help fill stadiums. All other major markets, like Canada, USA, France, England, Netherlands, Sweden, etc can be reached with a direct flight or a mere plane change to a major airport, which to me, gives Brazil the advantage. And, for the smaller markets from North and South America that will qualify, this helps put them in primetime, which could help grow the games in their countries, and help increase competitiveness in two of the easier confederations in women's football.

The only thing really standing in Brazil's way right now is really Bolsonaro. His rhetoric is not going to flow well with FIFA. However, with his approval ratings plummeting and political pluralism getting worse, he will likely be out of office by the time the tournament would go to Brazil. 

https://the18.com/soccer-news/2019-womens-world-cup-viewership-numbers-global-tv-ratings

"South America has a 520% increase in consumption over the 2015 [Women's World Cup]". 

Granted, this could definitely be attributed to the Globo broadcast of the tournament, but viewership records were set in Brazil. This could've had to do with Rio 2016, which brought a lot of the best teams in the world close to home to play the talented Brazilian side, but South America was the biggest area of growth this past World Cup. Interesting to put into perspective, because while viewership was up all over the globe (finally crossed 1 billion), it should be noted that with powerhouses Brazil and Argentina in the tournament, plus Chile, and by possibly hosting in South America, you get another talented team like Colombia, you can expect good viewership and attendance within the continent. As stated above, I was pretty surprised at that in France, at how teams like England, Italy, Spain and even the Netherlands, whose fans all set viewership records for their respective women's sides watching at home, played games in front of half-full crowds. Maybe it's a good time for FIFA to send the tournament to South America, since it seems to be booming there. Let's not forget the domestic league records that have been set in Mexico, Argentina and Brazil in wake of this past WWC, all of which are a narrow-bodied-jet flight away from potential host cities in Brazil to cheer their countries on ...

12 hours ago, anthonyliberatori said:

Simply no reason for this. Australia could do it all by itself

Seems FIFA is in love with joint bids right now. England could host the World Cup alone in 2030, but we're going to be submitting a multi-nation bid with the other UK nations and Ireland.

I think it's just a case of playing the game. If that's what FIFA says it wants now, it'd be a bit self-defeating to go against that.

56 minutes ago, yoshi said:

I know it would've been Europe twice running,  but it baffles me that England didn't go for this...

To be fair, they lacked the support for the women's game truly up until this tournament. They didn't sell out any of the Team GB Games in London 2012, despite being a decent team, and considering the poor attendance they had in France for the 2019 tournament, I understand why. Hopefully it was this summer that sparked British interested, but I think the British FA wanted to focus its attention on getting the men's tournament back on home soil, as there is a lot of excitement building up towards the Euro final being in Wembley, and after the exciting run of the men's team in 2018, they likely want to use that momentum to bring it home for the men. 

Wouldn't be surprised if England looks to host a Women's Euro sooner or later, or maybe try for the 2027 Fifa WWC. Again, I really think Team GB in Tokyo will determine how much energy they put into it.

I read the Football Australia felt their bid had a much better chance as a joint bid- personally  i dont see it.

I also feel FIFA might steer clear of a major tournament in Brasil after the Olympics..Brazil barely managed to stage that after a lot of drama.

I think it is going to be Japan all they way, spectacular venues, safe as houses and a national team that  has excelled in the womens game.

6 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

I read the Football Australia felt their bid had a much better chance as a joint bid- personally  i dont see it.

I also feel FIFA might steer clear of a major tournament in Brasil after the Olympics..Brazil barely managed to stage that after a lot of drama.

I think it is going to be Japan all they way, spectacular venues, safe as houses and a national team that  has excelled in the womens game.

True, and a smooth hosting of Tokyo 2020 could cement this.

6 hours ago, yoshi said:

England is hosting Euro 2021 btw. But I think we should’ve gone for this instead, especially once it expanded to 32 teams. 

For some reason I thought it was France, thanks for reminding me. But, maybe they will use the 2021 Women's Euro to help build support for a WWC bid. By then, they should have garnered up enough support from the Brits. Also, it's only a matter of time until FIFA institutes its confederation bidding rule, and considering it has the attention of AFC, CONMEBOL, CAF, and OFC countries, it could have likely slipped a word to the British FA that they should just save themselves the time, money and effort (Belgium also expressed interested immediately after France 2019, but was also shut down). If they do the two-editions rule that they have for the men, they can choose between Brazil, Australia/NZL and Japan for 2023 and 2027, basically opening the door wide open for England 2031.

...NZ Football chief executive Andrew Pragnell said the bid's historic qualities would be a big selling point.

"There's been dialogue between the two countries for years, and we were in some positive dialogue even before the Women's World Cup expanded, even though we were conscious we were both pursuing our own solo bids, but at the end of July, when the expansion took place to 32 teams, that's what really made a joint bid a natural solution.

"This is the first ever cross-confederation bid FIFA has ever seen, so that's huge, and that fits in really nicely to FIFA's strategy of the global game working together and being more connected. We're a gateway to both Asia and Oceania and the ability to leave a legacy and have an impact on some of our Pacific Island neighbours and some of the smaller Asian nations is huge for us."

"New Zealand and Australia have been at the forefront of gender equality, both in sport and in society as a whole, so that's a really strong point, but we'll both put our hands up and say, actually, we've got to do a lot more, and I think FIFA will see that and think they can really push the envelope of football globally."

He was unable to go into detail about what matches are being lined up for where, but said New Zealand would be home to "roughly 45 per cent of the content" including half of the 48 group stage matches. Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin are all being lined up to potentially host matches – including a quarterfinal and semifinal –  New Zealand's role in the tournament set to be larger than anyone would have expected.

On the other side of the Tasman, games are set to be played in Adelaide, Brisbane, Launceston, Melbourne, Newcastle, and Sydney, which will host the final.

Article: Stuff

7 hours ago, Vill said:

...NZ Football chief executive Andrew Pragnell said the bid's historic qualities would be a big selling point.

"There's been dialogue between the two countries for years, and we were in some positive dialogue even before the Women's World Cup expanded, even though we were conscious we were both pursuing our own solo bids, but at the end of July, when the expansion took place to 32 teams, that's what really made a joint bid a natural solution.

"This is the first ever cross-confederation bid FIFA has ever seen, so that's huge, and that fits in really nicely to FIFA's strategy of the global game working together and being more connected. We're a gateway to both Asia and Oceania and the ability to leave a legacy and have an impact on some of our Pacific Island neighbours and some of the smaller Asian nations is huge for us."

"New Zealand and Australia have been at the forefront of gender equality, both in sport and in society as a whole, so that's a really strong point, but we'll both put our hands up and say, actually, we've got to do a lot more, and I think FIFA will see that and think they can really push the envelope of football globally."

He was unable to go into detail about what matches are being lined up for where, but said New Zealand would be home to "roughly 45 per cent of the content" including half of the 48 group stage matches. Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin are all being lined up to potentially host matches – including a quarterfinal and semifinal –  New Zealand's role in the tournament set to be larger than anyone would have expected.

On the other side of the Tasman, games are set to be played in Adelaide, Brisbane, Launceston, Melbourne, Newcastle, and Sydney, which will host the final.

Article: Stuff

The more I'm reading into this, it does sound enticing. Would be a good opportunity for Australia and New Zealand should they get picked. My heart still wants Brazil, but this would be an amazing option nonetheless.

6 hours ago, anthonyliberatori said:

The more I'm reading into this, it does sound enticing. Would be a good opportunity for Australia and New Zealand should they get picked. My heart still wants Brazil, but this would be an amazing option nonetheless.

I agree

Also, the bid books are officially available for the public:

Australia New Zealand Bid Book

Brazil Bid Book

Colombia Bid Book

Japan Bid Book  

• Like 1

In the Brazil bid book, am I correct in thinking they only plan on opening up half of each stadium for spectators? Most of the stadiums listed in the bid book only show seat allotments in half of the stadium, and considering the stadiums all seat over 40k, I'm hoping they aren't planning on only opening half to reduce quantity to 20k. Not only would that hurt the atmosphere of those in attendance, but it looks bad on TV, and would make it a low point IMO for the Brazilian bid ... why would anyone pay so much money to be looking at an empty stadium on the other side?

It should be noted with the Australia/New Zealand 2023 bid, they plan on staging the tournament July 10-August 20, 2023, which would disrupt the start of the English, German, and Spanish women's leagues, and border up against the starts of the French league. Might draw some anger from UEFA, who will likely get the most increase in spots for qualifying (Denmark didn't go to France 2019, and they played in the final ... they were beaten by the Netherlands, who barely qualified, after a last-spot-decision matchup against the Swiss. Moral of the story, there is more talent in European Women's football that didn't even make it to France). Just an initial negative I'm seeing with this Australia/New Zealand bid.

5 minutes ago, anthonyliberatori said:

It should be noted with the Australia/New Zealand 2023 bid, they plan on staging the tournament July 10-August 20, 2023, which would disrupt the start of the English, German, and Spanish women's leagues, and border up against the starts of the French league. Might draw some anger from UEFA, who will likely get the most increase in spots for qualifying (Denmark didn't go to France 2019, and they played in the final ... they were beaten by the Netherlands, who barely qualified, after a last-spot-decision matchup against the Swiss. Moral of the story, there is more talent in European Women's football that didn't even make it to France). Just an initial negative I'm seeing with this Australia/New Zealand bid.

Doing more investigation, and FIFA apparently wanted the tournament in that window, that wasn't Australia/NZ's decision (I assumed they would try to move it back towards the North American fall like Sydney 2000 so it would be warmer, but guess not. Japan's bid book says they would plan on hosting during the traditional time, early June to early July. Anyone have an idea why this timeframe is considered bad now? It's what the men do, but usually end in mid-July, because it's a longer tournament, and it's how most WWCs have been formatted.

Just some key points noted for the Australian and New Zealand bid

Subject to FIFA’s final approval, highlights of the Australia New Zealand tournament hosting concept include:

• A minimum of five stadiums in each host country, located along Australia’s coastline and across New Zealand - up to 13 stadiums in 12 host cities
  • Ensuring record attendance of 1.5 million, averaging 24,000 fans at each game
  • Ticket prices starting at just USD 5 with all match tickets priced below USD 90
  • Official opening match and ceremony at Auckland’s Eden Park, while a standalone match on Day 2 will inaugurate the tournament in Australia
  • Four groups will be located in each country during the Group Stage
  • The Group Stage would be evenly split, while Australia will host five of eight Round of 16 matches, three of four Quarter Finals, a Semi-Final, the 3rd Place Play-Off and Final
  • The Aotea Centre or the New Zealand International Convention Centre in Auckland as the potential venue for the 2023 FWWC draw
  • Primary International Broadcast Centre located at Sydney Olympic Park; secondary IBC at New Zealand International Convention Centre in Auckland 
  • Innovative match scheduling to deliver broadcast content in windows that work for established football markets in Europe, Africa and the Americas
  • Earmarking the development of an International Centre for Women’s Football in Australia, serving the Asia-Pacific region through elite training and playing opportunities
  • During the Group Stage, team travel distances will be minimised by clustering 4 groups in each individual country. From the Round of 16, travel between Australia and New Zealand would take place from the east coast of Australia only

11 hours ago, Vill said:

Just some key points noted for the Australian and New Zealand bid

Subject to FIFA’s final approval, highlights of the Australia New Zealand tournament hosting concept include:

• A minimum of five stadiums in each host country, located along Australia’s coastline and across New Zealand - up to 13 stadiums in 12 host cities

Did you mean "east" coastline? Because Perth is in the bid book, but that's definitely on the West side. I'm surprised they even included Perth honestly, as it seems like they have enough stadiums in enough cities split over the two countries. Hopefully the plans for Perth to host fall through, unless Perth plans to have Group A (ie Team Australia) games only. 

Yeah, Perth would only be eligible for Group Stage matches only. I would doubt that Perth would host any knockout matches due to low capacity seating (20,000) and would lose out to other cities in the bid. 

• 3 weeks later...

FIFA is leaning towards the WWC being held every two years now instead of four. I wonder if this announcement had something to do with a Australia and New Zealand deciding to pursue a joint bid. Less preparation time needed perhaps than if either went about this bid alone? 

Would really like to see a WWC final in either Sydney's rebuilt Olympic Stadium for Eden Park in Auckland.