IOC Members Bubka, Popov Deny Rio 2016 Olympic Bid Vote Buying Allegations As IOC Investigates

GBModerator

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has followed up Friday on accusations against two of its members who are alleged to have been among nine that sold their votes to support a Rio 2016 Olympic Games bid, and are investigating the sensational claims made in a Brazil court. On Thursday former Rio de Janeiro governor Sérgio […]

The post IOC Members Bubka, Popov Deny Rio 2016 Olympic Bid Vote Buying Allegations As IOC Investigates appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

1 hour ago, FYI said:

So let’s see. Up to nine votes total. That means Rio definitely would’ve been voted off in the first ballot. F@cking astounding. :rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly.  With Salt Lake for 2002, I would have taken a lot of votes to change the outcome.  With 2016, not so much.  So yes, this definitely creates the possibility that it affected the outcome of the vote.

Round 1: Chicago: 18 / Tokyo: 22 / Rio de Janeiro: 26 / Madrid: 28

Round 2: Tokyo: 20 / Rio de Janeiro: 46 / Madrid: 29

Round 3:  Rio de Janeiro: 66 / Madrid: 32

...if we take away 9 vote from Rio in the first round and don't even give then to any other city here is the result:

Round 1: Chicago: 18 / Tokyo: 22 / Rio de Janeiro: 17 / Madrid: 28

Will there be indictments is the question. If indictments come about in a court of law whether it be Brazilnor somewhere else then the IOC will have a PR nightmare on their hands. It could seriously affect future bidding cycles as well as I suspect this gives even more ammunition the No Olympics crowd.

On 7/6/2019 at 3:05 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

All shudda-cudda.  Would "statute of limitations" already pass for this?  AM not following the details because it wouldn't change the outcome anyway, as Qatar 2022 wasn't changed either.  

What does 1 have to do with the other?  And what statute of limitations are we talking about?  Athletes have been stripped of medals years after the fact.  Obviously Brazil can't un-host the Olympics, but if there are people still with the IOC who were involved in wrongdoing, then they should get kicked out of the club.  If Brazilian officials were involved, that's for them to sort out on their own.  Either way, this is definitely not a case of "well, the Olympics already happened, so who cares to do anything about it"

7 hours ago, stryker said:

Will there be indictments is the question. If indictments come about in a court of law whether it be Brazilnor somewhere else then the IOC will have a PR nightmare on their hands. It could seriously affect future bidding cycles as well as I suspect this gives even more ammunition the No Olympics crowd.

5 hours ago, mountainboarder_530@yahoo. said:

Im not so sure, FIFA has managed to dance around it.  Russia was one thing, but its literally criminal on multiple levels that that thing is even considered to be played in Qatar.  If FIFA can weather the storm, the IOC will figure out a way too

As much as Rio didn't go well (although some of the negative stories that were predicted never came to pass.. as it is with most Olympics) and there was some political fallout, I don't think this is something that will cast a black cloud over the IOC in terms of future bidding.  Salt Lake certainly didn't, as if this is something the IOC hasn't dealt with before.  And yes, I'll be curious to see how it goes for FIFA with Qatar.  Because usually once the games start, most of the minutiae gets pushed off to the backburner.  Might not be quite so easy to do that with the World Cup.

15 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

What does 1 have to do with the other?  And what statute of limitations are we talking about?  Athletes have been stripped of medals years after the fact.  Obviously Brazil can't un-host the Olympics, but if there are people still with the IOC who were involved in wrongdoing, then they should get kicked out of the club.  If Brazilian officials were involved, that's for them to sort out on their own.  Either way, this is definitely not a case of "well, the Olympics already happened, so who cares to do anything about it"

In the long run, no one's really going to care about who bought what votes or not.  I mean the supposed 2 guys who allegedly did the vote-buying for Salt Lake (when they actually didn't have to because of Salt Lake's overwhlemingly popularity anyway), were cleared by the Justice Dept.  To me, it's just some weird thing that happens in these international bidding things.  If you don't catch it and deal with it INSTANTLY on the spot, FUGGEDABOUT IT.  And as you said, the drug cheating thing of athletes is TOTALLY different.  That is ingesting something in bodies whose results leave their mark for posterity -- thus it is worth pursuing. Vote-buying schemes are he said/she said -- behind closed doors, eh!  No one really cares.  As you said, it all gets washed away anyway when an exciting Games are produced.  

11 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

In the long run, no one's really going to care about who bought what votes or not.  I mean the supposed 2 guys who allegedly did the vote-buying for Salt Lake (when they actually didn't have to because of Salt Lake's overwhlemingly popularity anyway), were cleared by the Justice Dept.  To me, it's just some weird thing that happens in these international bidding things.  If you don't catch it and deal with it INSTANTLY on the spot, FUGGEDABOUT IT.  And as you said, the drug cheating thing of athletes is TOTALLY different.  That is ingesting something in bodies whose results leave their mark for posterity -- thus it is worth pursuing. Vote-buying schemes are he said/she said -- behind closed doors, eh!  No one really cares.  As you said, it all gets washed away anyway when an exciting Games are produced.  

what a cynical, half-baked hot take. 

"no one really cares" is a) not really true and b) horrible for the olympic movement in general.

you can't pay most cities to bid these days. is that really going to change when it becomes obvious everything is fixed and nobody even cares enough to condemn it. 

quaker is right. this should be dealt with regardless. i can't believe anyone could argue otherwise but, i mean, of course i can believe it.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

What krow said.  If no one really cares, why are we discussing this?  Drug cheating is different because you can take away a person's medals, although if it happens after the fact, isn't that a FUGGEDABOUT IT?  Hard to leave something for posterity that doesn't match with what people experienced.

You're right that it would be tough to figure out what happened.  For an organization like the IOC thought that's trying to regain the public's trust and desperately trying to prove to cities it's still worthwhile to host the Olympics, this is not a good look.  If anyone involved in this (whatever it was that happened) is still connected with the IOC, then it's absolutely worth pursuing to throw them out on their asses.  Yes, the IOC will probably get through this even if it turns out to be a bigger deal than it seems.  But maybe they shouldn't be so quick to say "oops, we missed it.. oh well, what can ya do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯."  After all, it was years before they figured out what went on with Salt Lake and they still dealt with that.