IOC President Bach Impressed By Australian PM’s Commitment To Olympic Bid

GBModerator

Australia’s bid to host the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games in Queensland received high-profile support on a powerful stage Sunday in Japan. On the sidelines of the G20 Summit being held in Osaka, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison met with International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach and Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) President and IOC […]

The post IOC President Bach Impressed By Australian PM’s Commitment To Olympic Bid appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

All of this kind of talk with the introduction of the new rules at the Session - plus the seemingly high support from government & population...I’m wondering if we might even see Queensland 2032 announced officially before the year is out. Would be good for the IOC to have something already done to show how the new process works. 

"This early commitment and the well-known enthusiasm of the Aussies for sport are a great foundation for the Olympic Games 2032 in Queensland."

Reading this one might believe it's already official. Now given the emphasis everyone lays on the infrastructure works needed, the sooner it's announced, the better, giving them more time to prepare and reducing the risk of cost overruns.

While awarding Australia so early may benefit their apparent bid city that requires a lot of work, what about the other interested 2032 parties that will certainly cry foul if they so quickly annoint 2032 like this without a formal bid process. I don’t think doing that twice in a row will sit too well with some NOC’s. I know that the Charter was just changed to accommodate some out-of-the-box thinking, but this seems like it would be pushing it. Plus, what about the risk in awarding an Olympic Games this far out? I know many Angelino’s were griping about that when 2024 was looking that it wasn’t going to be theirs & they had to “settle” for 2028 then.

Well since they just abolished the formal bid process, they’re not breaking any rule now. This is still an early enough stage that nobody (except Brisbane) would’ve spent a huge amount yet - it’s better to do the deed now than to take them all through a lengthy, expensive bid process with one clear favourite. 

But you still have the Chinese, the South Koreans, the Indians (albeit, they seem rather risky ATP, but maybe more lead time can be beneficial in their case, too), the Russians & maybe the Germans interested, too (the IOC I’m sure would love that). Surely all of those deserve worthy consideration as well before anointing anything by the end of this year.

1 hour ago, FYI said:

But you still have the Chinese, the South Koreans, the Indians (albeit, they seem rather risky ATP, but maybe more lead time can be beneficial in their case, too), the Russians & maybe the Germans interested, too (the IOC I’m sure would love that). Surely all of those deserve worthy consideration as well before anointing anything by the end of this year.

1 hour ago, FYI said:

You missed the Castilians for a fourth try :P :D 

https://www.marca.com/olimpismo/2019/06/19/5d0a3f9a22601d300b8b45fa.html

2 hours ago, FYI said:

Well, there you go!! They’re back for more!!  And you know that they’d throw a hissy fit if 2032 just gets “handed-over” to someone else just like that!! :lol::P

Also, from Germany, there's fight over "which" bid: if 2032 Rhine Rhur or 2036 Berlin :P

https://gamesbids.com/eng/summer-olympic-bids/future-summer-bids/german-minister-rules-out-possible-berlin-2036-olympic-bid-due-to-controversial-anniversary/

6 hours ago, FYI said:

But you still have the Chinese, the South Koreans, the Indians (albeit, they seem rather risky ATP, but maybe more lead time can be beneficial in their case, too), the Russians & maybe the Germans interested, too (the IOC I’m sure would love that).

Now, the interesting question is, might the IOC love the idea of Germany hosting enough to be blackmailed into postponing their Brisbane games to 2036? That way Germany got their games in 2032, Australia got four more years for their infrastructure works and the IOC can sit back and relax for the next decade - and then probably head somewhere new (Buenos Aires, Shanghai or wherever) for 2040.

2 hours ago, Roger87 said:

Also, from Germany, there's fight over "which" bid: if 2032 Rhine Rhur or 2036 Berlin :P

I don't really see Berlin hosting right now and especially not for 2036 (Seehofer had one of his very few bright moments there ruling out the Nazi centennial) - public support was mediocre for their 2024 attempt against Hamburg and I don't see that just swapping anytime soon. From what I've heard the idea of hosting seems to be a lot more acknowledged in the Rhine Ruhr + you get to build a shiny new Olympic stadium there. 1. FC Köln currently seeks to get a new, bigger arena anyway, so a Stade de France style venue in Cologne might work.

On 7/1/2019 at 2:55 PM, yoshi said:

All of this kind of talk with the introduction of the new rules at the Session - plus the seemingly high support from government & population...I’m wondering if we might even see Queensland 2032 announced officially before the year is out. Would be good for the IOC to have something already done to show how the new process works. 

On 7/1/2019 at 4:10 PM, munichfan said:

"This early commitment and the well-known enthusiasm of the Aussies for sport are a great foundation for the Olympic Games 2032 in Queensland."

Reading this one might believe it's already official. Now given the emphasis everyone lays on the infrastructure works needed, the sooner it's announced, the better, giving them more time to prepare and reducing the risk of cost overruns.

Just so I have this straight.. 1 or both of you are suggesting that Australia might be awarded the 2032 Olympics in the next few months and that it's already a done deal?

Perhaps we should wait until we actually see if they have their act together and not give them the Olympics at the first sign of interest, 13 years out from 2032.  No.. it would be the polar opposite of good for the IOC to do that.  Everyone involved might want to think this all through and plan it out first.

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

Just so I have this straight.. 1 or both of you are suggesting that Australia might be awarded the 2032 Olympics in the next few months and that it's already a done deal?

Perhaps we should wait until we actually see if they have their act together and not give them the Olympics at the first sign of interest, 13 years out from 2032.  No.. it would be the polar opposite of good for the IOC to do that.  Everyone involved might want to think this all through and plan it out first.

Well. I suggest one of the next two cycles is probably gonna go to Brisbane. And I suggest, if that is so, the smart way is to sign the deal as soon as possible.

I guess we can agree on the following points:

- the IOC is keen on bringing the games back to Australia soon

- So are the Aussies + their government

- Brisbane seems to be the only choice taken into consideration

- they need, however, enough time for preparation in order to deliver crucial infrastructure on time and on budget

- as LA 2028 has shown, the IOC will not shy away from awarding the games more than a decade in advance, given they get a suitable, reliable and most of all desirable host

So once government support from all levels is secured, their plans have taken shape and the field of plausible European bidders has been taken into evaluation (as stated before, I do see the option of having Brisbane four years later to make way for a German games) I don't see a reason to stretch the decision out longer than absolutely needed.

That said, all of this takes time to unfold, and it won't be a done deal within the next months, but as of now, I would certainly not rule out we will see an Olympics awarded to Australia well before 2025.

The IOC is probably keen on returning to Australia at some point. But are they really “that keen” on Brisbane, though (other than John Coates, of course)? 

Sydney 2000

Athens 2004

Beijing 2008 

London 2012

Rio 2016

Tokyo 2020

Paris 2024 

Los Angeles 2028

Brisbane 2032 or 2036? (Especially for a city that requires a lot of work which would then seem to go against the “New Norm”)?

That’s like Germany putting up Leipzig or the U.S. going with Kansas City or Minneapolis. I know many outside the U.S. here were flabbergasted when the USOC originally chose Boston for their 2024 bid. 

I know the IOC is in a very senstative spot these days, as far as bid cities are concerned, but it’s not like they’ve totally done away with their old ways of thinking that much, if last Monday’s election of Milan for 2026 is any indication. 

It’s not just a matter of size, but also of perception, though. St. Louis is also a metro area of 3 million, but can anyone here see them hosting again in the 21st Century?

Or Minneapolis/St. Paul with a metro area of almost 4 million? People here still balked about Boston 2024 & their greater metro population is well over 5 million, comparable to Sydney & Melbourne. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FYI said:

Okay, so it’s settled then, (west) Westphalia for 2032, & (SE) Queensland for 2036 then! :lol:

And for winter, SLC 2030 & Sapporo 2034. That would take care of the IOC for most of the 2030’s, as well! 

Uh! Don’t call Cologne (Düsseldorf, Essen, Aachen, Bonn) (west) Westphalia - it’s like calling Chicago New England :D

5 hours ago, munichfan said:

Well. I suggest one of the next two cycles is probably gonna go to Brisbane. And I suggest, if that is so, the smart way is to sign the deal as soon as possible.

I guess we can agree on the following points:

- the IOC is keen on bringing the games back to Australia soon

- So are the Aussies + their government

- Brisbane seems to be the only choice taken into consideration

- they need, however, enough time for preparation in order to deliver crucial infrastructure on time and on budget

- as LA 2028 has shown, the IOC will not shy away from awarding the games more than a decade in advance, given they get a suitable, reliable and most of all desirable host

So once government support from all levels is secured, their plans have taken shape and the field of plausible European bidders has been taken into evaluation (as stated before, I do see the option of having Brisbane four years later to make way for a German games) I don't see a reason to stretch the decision out longer than absolutely needed.

That said, all of this takes time to unfold, and it won't be a done deal within the next months, but as of now, I would certainly not rule out we will see an Olympics awarded to Australia well before 2025.

I don't know that I agree with all of that.  Do we really know if the IOC is that excited for Australia or does it just have that appearance that there's an interested party in the wake of a vote that got decided because 1 of the parties wasn't all that interested?

It's encouraging that the Aussies are committed and enthusiastic.  But do they have a plan in place?  Can they successfully execute that plan?  Does it make sense for both them and the IOC?  Are there other cities out there that are worth a look as well?

You're absolutely right these things take time to unfold.  And it would be really irresponsible of the IOC to rush through this process.  There's no reason for them to do that and I don't think we should start to assume that will happen just because it can.  Besides, what about 2030?  Shouldn't that happen before 2032?

You mention LA getting 2028 more than a decade out.  Don't forget that LA had been pursuing an Olympics for years before the 2024 bid came into being.  And it was a full 2 years from when LA officially submitted their bid to the IOC before they made the deal for 2028.  So if the path to a Brisbane Olympics is secured government support from all levels, plans taking shape, and evaluating potentially European bidders).. that's not something likely to happen in a matter of months.  More likely it'll take years.  I agree we could see the 2032 Olympics before 2025.  But I think we're looking at closer to 2025 than 2019. Either way, let's not make the jump from "Australia is interested in an Olympics" to "let's lock them in as soon as possible"

2 hours ago, FYI said:

It’s not just a matter of size, but also of perception, though. St. Louis is also a metro area of 3 million, but can anyone here see them hosting again in the 21st Century?

Or Minneapolis/St. Paul with a metro area of almost 4 million? People here still balked about Boston 2024 & their greater metro population is well over 5 million, comparable to Sydney & Melbourne. 

Someone check to see if hell has frozen over.. looks like FYI and I agree on something again.

If Brisbane needs to build a lot of venues and other infrastructure in order to host an Olympics, are they really the best option for an Olympics?  Particularly in a country with 2 previous hosts which each have a lot more in place ready to go.  They say it fits within the city's long-term plans, but that seems like a dangerous proposition there and one that could lead to cost overruns.  Seems to go against what the IOC is looking for these days with an emphasis on existing venues?  The Aussies get to make the call on this one, so if that's what they are willing to get behind, more power to them.  But still, you look at the past handful of hosts and they're almost all mega-cities.  Brisbane doesn't really fit into that mold.  And they can't play the new continent card like Rio or home of the Olympics like Athens.  Probably shouldn't count on lucking into an Olympics like Atlanta did.

As the story goes.. Brisbane could host an Olympics.  Just like St. Louis could or Minneapolis or even Boston.  The more important question is.. should they host an Olympics?  And what's going to be their story if they try for one?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FYI said:

Indeed. Brisbane is growing as a city, but even among some Aussies (Just watch Youtube), Brisbane is akin to St. Louis or Minneapolis. Not only Sydney and Melbourne had everything in consideration, but also both cities are global cities per excellence. Sydney is like Los Angeles as the shiny, modern metropolis while Melbourne is like NY, as the old soul but also the cultural, college Australian capital. Both cities have considerable infrastructure per public transport, venues and locations and their populations are young enough to keep the spirit (And both cities are mostly known for their cultural and social diversity. Melbourne has more reasons to enter in the list for the double Olympic host cities alongside Tokyo and Beijing.

Now, if Brisbane can work for that starting now, then it will be great. But these projects must be start with or without the Olympics to make a proper case. When Barcelona was selected, Spain entered in a new age after years of Franco regime and Barcelona, as antagonist of Madrid, it was always the more liberal and pro european spanish city (It was the main center of the Spanish Republic). It came in a full reconstruction. The Olympics gave a new identity to that narrative. Brisbane must show that.

If it wasn't for the idea of bringing Pyongyang for the bid, Seoul would have been my main candidate for the 2032-2036 Olympic host. Safe Summer Olympics host. A proper metropolis which can enter on that prior list. Powerful country in sports. 

Now the Rhine Ruhr bid can offer a new interesting perspective. Sure, the purists would love to see Berlin, but that ship has sailed. And Hamburg/Munich were eliminated for referendums. At least an advantage for Germany is, even as a unified country, for history the country has clear regional identities which can offer different elements (and came strong for federalism). It's not the same Baviera and Berlin. Rhine Ruhr is the center of the prior West Germany economic miracle, a multicultural population divided in cities widely connected, and as main circle of Bundersliga, the sport has roots there. The question is about how the Germans will sell it for population and IOC. Otherwise, maybe Madrid has a chance now :P 

• Like 1

I must say, if the IOC really are now all about flexibility & adapting to cities’ needs, & really do want to go to Australia (a very sensible move in the current climate around the Olympics), they could enable a much lower-budget Games by just waiving the July-August timing window, thus allowing Melbourne to host 2032/6 in October. I guess NBC trump everything else in that regard. 

3 hours ago, yoshi said:

I must say, if the IOC really are now all about flexibility & adapting to cities’ needs, & really do want to go to Australia (a very sensible move in the current climate around the Olympics), they could enable a much lower-budget Games by just waiving the July-August timing window, thus allowing Melbourne to host 2032/6 in October. I guess NBC trump everything else in that regard. 

Why the Summer Olympics are held in July, August despite heat

It's not just NBC.  Other broadcasters and sports federations have similar preferences for that window as well.

Prospective bidders are free to propose dates outside that window if they want.  That's what Doha did.  Yes, they got rejected, but mostly because the IOC said Do-haha to them, not necessarily because of the dates.

So this was a thing before the IOC became more flexible.  Still, at the end of the day, it comes down to a decision and a potentially a vote.  It's not an either/or whether or not proposing different dates is allowed or not.  The Aussies can do whatever they want in that regard and the IOC will put that to a decision if they think it's in their best interests.

Plus, remember about NBC.. they're locked in through 2032, but rights for the Olympics after that will be up for grabs.  So if Australia is looking at the 2036 Olympics, what will it to do the value of those rights fees (and not just from NBC, but from other broadcasters) if the Olympics are scheduled for September or October.  That's something the IOC voters will have to weigh the value of.

John Coates - the AOC chief - is famously anti-Melbourne (a recent challenger to his job was from there and tried to remove him using the backing of a bloc of local Melbourne members).

John has stated repeatedly he is not even willing to try to be flexible dates wise and that Brisbane is the only city the AOC will bid with in the future. Thus Melbourne - despite being arguably the most prepared city in Australia - will be locked out until after Coates f*cks off. Hopefully that will be sooner rather than later for a few reasons. 

• Thanks 1