GBModerator

IOC Confirms Olympic Charter Changes To Support New Bid Process

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) Session Wednesday approved sweeping changes to the the Olympic bid process, effectively eliminating the carefully orchestrated head-to-head competition to instead create a more thoughtful, selective and hidden site selection. Members unanimously agreed to a set of Olympic Charter changes that reduce the restrictions around site selection and require the appointment […]

The post IOC Confirms Olympic Charter Changes To Support New Bid Process appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

This begs the question, why should GamesBids.com continue to exist?

BidIndex has been irrelevant for some time. There have been very few bidders in recent years. Now the whole process has changed to something with no set timeline that will be decided mainly behind closed doors. 

What is there to analyze or discuss? It’s difficult for me to envision any meaningful future for this site. 

I must say, I might be misreading this (you need to look between the lines at these things) but it sounds like the bid process is now a thing of the past? Is that overstating it?

Oh no, but what would a certain other poster do if there is no more GB’s!! :lol:

On 6/29/2019 at 1:50 PM, FYI said:

Oh no, but what would a certain other poster do if there is no more GB’s!! :lol:

Find a better use of my time? B)

On 6/29/2019 at 5:48 AM, Athensfan said:

This begs the question, why should GamesBids.com continue to exist?

BidIndex has been irrelevant for some time. There have been very few bidders in recent years. Now the whole process has changed to something with no set timeline that will be decided mainly behind closed doors. 

What is there to analyze or discuss? It’s difficult for me to envision any meaningful future for this site. 

Better question.. why shouldn't GamesBids continue to exist?  The Olympics are going to continue to be held for the foreseeable future and that means a city has to host them.  Even if the process of selecting a host city changes, there still needs to a be process.  The IOC can have their discussions and deliberations done in private, but the cities can't.  Not when public officials and funding are involved.  And that may be exactly why GamesBids continues to exist.  So that there's someone out there asking the questions.  Even if it's less transparent on the part of the IOC, this all won't be as hidden from public view as you seem to be anticipating.  Sure, the days of BidIndex and a large number of bidders with their bid books may be a thing of the past.  Doesn't mean there won't be anything to analyze, even if that unfortunately gets mixed in with some overly hypothetical speculation.

• Like 1

I can see this site (in particular, these forums) becoming much more important as one of very few ways anything in this new process gets ‘out’. Plus with members all over the world clued up on what’s going on locally, this could be one of very few places where cities can try to identify their competition. 

• Like 1