IOC President Bach Blames Stockholm Åre 2026 Loss On Lower Public Support

GBModerator

Reporting From Lausanne, Switzerland – International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach Monday was quick to compliment both winning and losing 2026 Olympic bids from Milan-Cortina in Italy and Stockholm-Åre in Sweden for leveraging Agenda 2020 and New Norm reforms to propose sustainable hosting concepts. “I would like to congratulate Milan Cortina for this victory,” […]

The post IOC President Bach Blames Stockholm Åre 2026 Loss On Lower Public Support appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

The statement about Stockholm having to build the speed skating facility is a bit ridiculous.

When you see a picture of the current facility in Baselga di Pine, you see easily that the Italian facility will have to be built from anew as well. Plus the risk of having a white elephant in a city of pop 5,000 is a bit higher than with an ice rink in Stockholm.

Also the Ice Hockey 1 does not exist either.

Speed skating will surely be moved to Torino in the end - they’ve done that kind of thing before. Would be a good litmus test of the IOC & their commitment to new ways. As for ice hockey 1, I would’ve thought Milan is big enough to have 2 indoor arenas & make them both work. 

1 minute ago, yoshi said:

Speed skating will surely be moved to Torino in the end - they’ve done that kind of thing before. Would be a good litmus test of the IOC & their commitment to new ways. As for ice hockey 1, I would’ve thought Milan is big enough to have 2 indoor arenas & make them both work. 

Torino can also solved this. It's only 1.50 hrs. from Milan.

22 minutes ago, yoshi said:

I do not challenge that Milano is big enough for 2 arenas (3 in fact if you count the one for figure skating), I challenge the fact that it seems to be happily forgotten in the list of new constructions on Milan side. I guess it is the usual trick of "we would have built it anyway "