2020, a new decade of nostalgia for the IOC

So, starting with Tokyo 2020, the next decade will be nothing but revisiting old friends for the IOC in their future Games:

2020 - Tokyo, 2nd time

2022 - return to Beijing

2024 - Paris, pour une 3eme fois 

2026 - Cortina, once again

2028 - LA, 3x

2030 - maybe Salt Lake or Sapporo??

The New Frontiers have taken a rest.  

18 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

So, starting with Tokyo 2020, the next decade will be nothing but revisiting old friends for the IOC in their future Games:

2020 - Tokyo, 2nd time

2022 - return to Beijing

2024 - Paris, pour une 3eme fois 

2026 - Cortina, once again

2028 - LA, 3x

2030 - maybe Salt Lake or Sapporo??

The New Frontiers have taken a rest.  

2030 Salt Lake City USA or Sapporo Japan 

2032 Shanghai China for visiting old friends. After China welcomed the World in the summer and winter games with Beijing 2008 and 2022 China will be a established country for the IOC.

There is only 1 New Frontiers left for Asia now for the Winter Games that is Kazakhstan if Salt Lake City get's 2030 Almaty Kazakhstan could look strong for the 2034 Winter Games. 

Jakarta Indonesia is the strongest for New Frontiers for Asia for the Summer Games after being a brilliant back up host for the 2018 Asian Games they are the biggest country with the biggest economy in South East Asia if Europe host the 2032 Summer Games then Jakarta Indonesia could be a strong city to host the 2036 Summer Games   

Budapest Hungary looks to become the strongest bid in Europe for 2032 Summer Games, Germany like Sweden is look warm and Russia if it not with Moscow as the bidding city won't be that strong, Viktor Orban could bring very strong backing for a compact games in Budapest I can see Orban being the Prime Minister of Hungary for another decade, I think the regionalism with Italy 2026 will be a once off event, The IOC likes to have compact games Budapest Hungary could host a Summer Games if the IOC wants to go to Europe in 2032.

Winter Games in Europe New Frontiers is Sweden but that will likely not happen for a while the strongest Frontiers is Barcelona no winter games have taken place in Western Europe they have pretty much all the indoors venues just need to build the snow and sliding events which could be shared with Andorra. 

If Jakarta Indonesia is not Asia strongest New Frontier then that would mean Bangkok Thailand is the strongest if they get the 2026 Summer Youth Olympic Games they could use those games as a test event for the 2036 Summer Games bid. Bangkok is one of the most visited cities in the world, Thailand is as develop as China and Brazil recent Olympic host countries high developing industrialise country. Bangkok got great sporting history in hosting big sporting events.

In the 2030s we could have New Frontiers for the Summer Games

Budapest Hungary 2032 - Bangkok Thailand 2036

Budapest Hungary with Viktor Orban could make it the strongest backing European Bid for 2032 to leave the battle of Asia for the 2036 Summer Games, Hungary got a great economy they could put on a compact games the only top ten Olympic summer power yet to host the Summer Games.

The IOC could play it safe for the Winter Games for a little longer with having Salt Lake City USA 2030 - Sapporo Japan 2034, They could go back to Munich Germany or Barcelona Spain for the 2038 Games and Montreal Canada for the 2042 games.    

• Like 1

And we know how it worked for Rio (double point. I really liked Rio Games, but I can't deny the obstacles and issues there). Also Bangkok is facing the same issues like Jakarta. It's over crowded, with bad public transport and both cities are sinking (If global warming continues, both cities may disappear at the edge of XXII century). And that's not counting Thailand is perhaps one of the countries with more coups d'état in history. The political instability is clear there. The IOC can work with autocrats, but they want order. If the Summer Youth Olympic Games were a test, then Singapore would have been the better candidate considering, at difference of Bangkok and Jakarta, everything in Singapore is clean and in full order.

The problem with all Southeastern Asia is related to their cities and the weather. Ironically, the only one who offered almost everything is Singapore. But they won't throw money for that soon. 

Maybe it’s time to point out that Budapest is a city of 2 million in a country of 10 million which does not do great economically but heavily relies on EU funding, though its fascist leader pretends to despise the EU?

There is a reason even Orbán shied away from pursuing 2024 as it became clear the public would turn against him.

2 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Maybe it’s time to point out that Budapest is a city of 2 million in a country of 10 million which does not do great economically but heavily relies on EU funding, though its fascist leader pretends to despise the EU?

There is a reason even Orbán shied away from pursuing 2024 as it became clear the public would turn against him.

Agreed. If Athens ended as economical disaster, even when Greece has a bigger GDP and the tourism industry is way more developed; imagine Budapest. Also, Hungary's current economy is in current downside (And that's not just recent), so dreaming of Budapest at this stage is... something.

For the next European Games is just:

Rome, Italy

Madrid, Spain

Moscow/St. Petersburg, Russia

Rhine-Rhur, Germany

Istanbul/Izmir, Turkey

Or just repeating hosts from London and Paris.

Well, count Turkey out for obvious reasons, Russia as well still due to their doping scandals and with Milan 2026 and their mayor Rome won't happen too soon, either. So it's actually down to Spain or Germany (or London/Paris) as the next reasonable european host.

7 hours ago, munichfan said:

Well, count Turkey out for obvious reasons, Russia as well still due to their doping scandals and with Milan 2026 and their mayor Rome won't happen too soon, either. So it's actually down to Spain or Germany (or London/Paris) as the next reasonable european host.

Sure, not for now, but i'm counting that prospective to 5-7 years apart.

-Virginia Raggi will leave the Roman government soon. I can even sign this as close to 100% guaranteed. She was a disaster, her arrogance was something (Even by mediterranean standards) and inside her own party want to drop her to the wolves.  

-Recently Erdogan lost his support in the main turkish cities. This is a gamble, I accept, but that defeat in Istanbul (his homeground) has made some waves. If the first two years of the new Istanbul mayor are positive, then we have a potential race.

-I could agree with Russia, but then people said the IOC won't accept China so soon, and the Russians have still influence inside the different branches of the IOC

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Roger87 said:

-Virginia Raggi will leave the Roman government soon. I can even sign this as close to 100% guaranteed. She was a disaster, her arrogance was something (Even by mediterranean standards) and inside her own party want to drop her to the wolves.  

-Recently Erdogan lost his support in the main turkish cities. This is a gamble, I accept, but that defeat in Istanbul (his homeground) has made some waves. If the first two years of the new Istanbul mayor are positive, then we have a potential race.

-I could agree with Russia, but then people said the IOC won't accept China so soon, and the Russians have still influence inside the different branches of the IOC

- That would eradicate one major issue. It does not, however, change anything about the fact that Italy just had their go for 2026.

- As you stated, this is a gamble, and I rather see Erdogan go full Targaeryen rather then let slip his power. And keep in mind, Turkey wasn't exactly popular for hosting major events even before - just look at their numerous attempts trying to get the Olympics or UEFA Euro - so even IF they become more democratic and open up to the west again, I don't exactly see Turkey as a likely choice.

- Well, in the end big player China almost lost to some second-tier post-soviet autoritarian republic and any decent offer (=Oslo) would have crashed that bid, had they just been on the table. Plus, China didn't leave the IOC with a doping scandal shaking confedence in world sports for years to come.

As of now, it looks to me as if the way the IOC want to go is Australia and Germany for the next two cycles. If those two happen to be on the table and gain enough political as well as public support (the latter of which might become a problem for the German bid), I don't see either of those three even getting close to hosting in the 2030's. If not, anything is possible.

9 hours ago, Roger87 said:

Vladimir Putin term will be up in 2024 he will be 72 years old so Russia could be a great place for the 2036 Summer Games they could try with Saint Peterborough in 2032 then go with Moscow in 2036 Russia is having a agriculture boom right now too and paying off their debts now they will have a very healthy economy very soon.

Shanghai China 2032 - Moscow Russia 2036 

China is expected to have the world's largest economy by 2030 and become a develop country by 2028 so Shanghai China can make a great statement to the world where they will reach the top  Beijing 2008 and 2022 is China welcoming the world and Shanghai 2032 will establish China as the world new superpower also marks the 100th anniversary of the Chinese first games they took part in.   

10 minutes ago, Olympianfan said:

Vladimir Putin term will be up in 2024 he will be 72 years old so Russia could be a great place for the 2036 Summer Games they could try with Saint Peterborough in 2032 then go with Moscow in 2036 Russia is having a agriculture boom right now too and paying off their debts now they will have a very healthy economy very soon.

Shanghai China 2032 - Moscow Russia 2036 

China is expected to have the world's largest economy by 2030 and become a develop country by 2028 so Shanghai China can make a great statement to the world where they will reach the top  Beijing 2008 and 2022 is China welcoming the world and Shanghai 2032 will establish China as the world new superpower also marks the 100th anniversary of the Chinese first games they took part in.   

Shanghai would be a good host and would certainly be a big statement. However I dont see the games heading back to Asia, I see it going to Australia.

2036 will almost certainly be heading for Europe. I sense it being between Budapest, Spain or the UK possibly. 

9 minutes ago, CWells2000 said:

Shanghai would be a good host and would certainly be a big statement. However I dont see the games heading back to Asia, I see it going to Australia.

2036 will almost certainly be heading for Europe. I sense it being between Budapest, Spain or the UK possibly. 

Economically Australia's economy isn't doing that great right now and their is big talks about Australia going to enter a recession in the next year or two which could last for years so their might not be public support for a Olympic Bid no matter how much John Coates wants a games for Brisbane, I don't see a Australian games for a while yet Melbourne would be the best city right now but that will not happen while John Coates is still calling the shots in Australia.