WD96

2030 Olympic Winter Games Bids

1 hour ago, anthonyliberatori said:

Now that you mention it, I kind of like the idea of Lyon as well. It was a great host city for the 2019 WWC Semi Finals and Final, so it would be great to see the city host the ceremonies and indoor events, with the alpine events further out from the city. But I'm gonna have to go with SLC or even Denver for 2030 - least problematic, could rake in loads of money, and the IOC may not want to lean Central Europe after immediately doing that.

The USOC has already chosen Salt Lake over Denver should they decide to pursue a 2030 bid.  That decision has been made.

1 hour ago, anthonyliberatori said:

Wonder if at any point someone will step up and say that a 2026 World Cup, 2028 Summer Olympics, and 2030 Winter Olympics is too much for the USA. I feel like it won't happen, because the USA hasn't played host to a major world tournament since the 2003 Women's World Cup, so an entire generation hasn't been able to cheer on Team USA at home, but 2028/30 are far from now - who knows what the political and social situation of the USA will be.

The LA2028 folks may say that only because they're concerned about another event cutting into their sponsorship money.  Logistically, the United States will have absolutely no problems hosting all 3 in that span.  It just may not be as lucrative as it might be if it was spread out.

As for the "entire generation" part.. in a 22 year span, the United States hosted 4 Olympics and a World Cup.  And here we are again where it may be 2 Olympics and a World Cup in less than 4 years.  So it's not as though the United States hasn't been able to attract these events.  They're not just well spread out.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

As for the "entire generation" part.. in a 22 year span, the United States hosted 4 Olympics and a World Cup.  And here we are again where it may be 2 Olympics and a World Cup in less than 4 years.  So it's not as though the United States hasn't been able to attract these events.  They're not just well spread out.

Oh the concern isn't attraction, the USA tried for Olympics like 2012 in New York and 2016 in Chicago and just didn't get them. But all I'm saying is the long length may finally be coming to a close, which is good, because anyone born 1992 and later (like me) likely has no recollection of a Team-USA-At-Home world event. I wonder if the lack of the ability to space out hosting events has to do with American culture. Back in the 80s with the Cold War, the USA was in cultural competition with the USSr and working to maintain its cultural dominance. I wonder if the USA wanting to go back to hosting all of these events could have something to do with us feeling the need to defend our global image in some regard. It's fair to say that the IOC just wanted a break from the USA, and they're just now coming back to it, or that the IOC is in financial trouble and needs an economically viable Olympics to save its image and it trusts the USA the most to do that, but I wonder if 2026-2028-2030 could have some sort of cultural ties to them.

By putting Oslo against SLC, you raise the question of whether the WOGs have now grown so much that Norway as a whole is now too small to host...even if you have a city that’s suitable, do you now really need to have the funding & support base of a major country - a US, France etc - to pull it off? Might go a way to explaining why the IOC did 2026 - they weren’t picking Milan over Stockholm, but Italy over Sweden. 

With NBC's current $7.75 BILLION-dollar contract ending with 2032 (which it looks like will be in the East Asian/East Oz time zone; might locking in the 2030 and 2034 WOG sites simultaneously provide for a $10 billion contract?  Or is that huge contract now a thing of the past since prime-time live broadcast isn't the only platform anymore??  

23 hours ago, anthonyliberatori said:

Oh the concern isn't attraction, the USA tried for Olympics like 2012 in New York and 2016 in Chicago and just didn't get them. But all I'm saying is the long length may finally be coming to a close, which is good, because anyone born 1992 and later (like me) likely has no recollection of a Team-USA-At-Home world event. I wonder if the lack of the ability to space out hosting events has to do with American culture. Back in the 80s with the Cold War, the USA was in cultural competition with the USSr and working to maintain its cultural dominance. I wonder if the USA wanting to go back to hosting all of these events could have something to do with us feeling the need to defend our global image in some regard. It's fair to say that the IOC just wanted a break from the USA, and they're just now coming back to it, or that the IOC is in financial trouble and needs an economically viable Olympics to save its image and it trusts the USA the most to do that, but I wonder if 2026-2028-2030 could have some sort of cultural ties to them.

You are reading way too much into this.  This is all a matter of circumstance and coincidence than any sort of effort to have history play out like this.  When you say "the USA wanting to go back to hosting".. no, the USA has always wanted to host these events.  They put in a bid for literally every Summer Olympics between 1944 and 1984.  Took a break after that and bid for 1996, which of course they won.  Took another break and bid for 2012.  There has always been a "want," but the IOC doesn't always want to come here.  Don't just look at the times the United States has hosted these events as the only times they have *wanted* to host these events.  When I used the word "attraction," it's not about the United States and various cities being interested so much as the country's ability to actually bring those events here.  And obviously that's going to be based on recent history where if they have hosted an Olympics or a World Cup in recent memory, they shouldn't expect to see another one for a while.

In that regard, 1996 is a big exception, but look at what has been discussed here as the "what if Atlanta doesn't get 1996" alternate history.  Maybe Salt Lake gets the `98 Olympics then.  Maybe New York is properly timed to get either 2008 or 2012.  Now all of a sudden these events are all much more spaced out.  Either way, especially when looking at the Olympics and the World Cup, 1 has absolutely nothing to do with the other.  The Winter Olympics and Summer Olympics are certainly tied together.

In short.. how history has played out (and will play out) has absolutely nothing to do with American culture or global image or anything like that.  All a matter of timing and it just happened to work out that 2026 and 2028 will see a World Cup and an Olympics here, with another Olympics probably not too far behind.

23 hours ago, yoshi said:

By putting Oslo against SLC, you raise the question of whether the WOGs have now grown so much that Norway as a whole is now too small to host...even if you have a city that’s suitable, do you now really need to have the funding & support base of a major country - a US, France etc - to pull it off? Might go a way to explaining why the IOC did 2026 - they weren’t picking Milan over Stockholm, but Italy over Sweden. 

Even if we're making this about the countries, they didn't pick Italy over Sweden because it's the larger country, but more because they had stronger support for their Olympic bid efforts.  Yes, those can often go hand in hand, but what scared off Oslo for 2022 wasn't the size and scope of an Olympics relative to the size of the country but rather a 7,000 page list of demands that they would have to follow.

I think we'll see some sort of bid from Norway eventually.  They'll figure out a way to put a plan together that the country can get behind, but a lot of that is based on the IOC's attitude and are they in fact more willing to work with a country like Norway to make an Olympics more feasible for them.

19 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

With NBC's current $7.75 BILLION-dollar contract ending with 2032 (which it looks like will be in the East Asian/East Oz time zone; might locking in the 2030 and 2034 WOG sites simultaneously provide for a $10 billion contract?  Or is that huge contract now a thing of the past since prime-time live broadcast isn't the only platform anymore??  

Those last 2 things aren't necessarily related.  NBC seems to be looking good in terms of sales for Tokyo despite the fact they're slowing moving away from putting everything into primetime.  So the length of the contract isn't necessarily tied to NBC's ability to generate revenue from primetime.

The extension NBC got was a gift from the IOC.  Basically a "thank you" for what probably was an over-pay on the 2014-2020 package.  Tough to tell what the Olympics will be worth a decade from now.  I don't think we can expect a contract of that length based on that reason.  Especially if there's open bidding because at that point, I doubt anyone is looking for a package of 6 Olympics.  4 maybe, but that's likely the max.

That all said.. don't think it necessarily has a bearing on the host selection.  A little bit of certainty will be nice, but we're a ways off from when that will come into play.  

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 3:01 PM, Booville said:

For Lillehammer to add those additional sports would be minimal ... Kanthaugen hosted freestyle skiing and half-pipe, and Hafjell the slopestyle in 2016, the curling already has a purpose built arena and there is likely to be enough capacity to host additional women's hockey games

A games encompassing the true spirit of the games vs a games forever tainted by bribery ... clearly an easy call

They choose Beijing. So yep, bribery can be accepted if this is practical.

On 10/19/2019 at 9:32 AM, anthonyliberatori said:

Now that you mention it, I kind of like the idea of Lyon as well. It was a great host city for the 2019 WWC Semi Finals and Final, so it would be great to see the city host the ceremonies and indoor events, with the alpine events further out from the city. But I'm gonna have to go with SLC or even Denver for 2030 - least problematic, could rake in loads of money, and the IOC may not want to lean Central Europe after immediately doing that.

Wonder if at any point someone will step up and say that a 2026 World Cup, 2028 Summer Olympics, and 2030 Winter Olympics is too much for the USA. I feel like it won't happen, because the USA hasn't played host to a major world tournament since the 2003 Women's World Cup, so an entire generation hasn't been able to cheer on Team USA at home, but 2028/30 are far from now - who knows what the political and social situation of the USA will be.

Under current times, practical choices. Also the USA is the biggest country, the American media still pays the big bucks in TV and streaming rights and the sponsorships. 

But yep, if I need to go for a potential next future hosts:

2030: Salt Lake City (USA)

2034: Sapporo (Japan)

2038: Lyon/Alps (France)