Jump to content
WD96

2030 Olympic Winter Games Bids

Recommended Posts

Since the race for the 2026 Olympics is finally over, we will look towards the race for the 2030 Olympics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, who knows if there will be a real bid race ever again. We'll probably head to Sapporo or Salt Lake, if either one of them is on the table, though, anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Olympianfan said:

I could see 3 bidding cities very likely for 2030 Almaty Kazakhstan, Sapporo Japan and Salt Lake City USA. 

It'll go to Salt Lake.  2014 - Asia Minor; 2018 and 2022 - NE Asia; 2026 - Europe.  All of which makes it time to revolve the SOGs back to North America -- a safe and reliable place for the IOC  (and NBC) to have their Winter Games.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Olympianfan said:

I could see 3 bidding cities very likely for 2030 Almaty Kazakhstan, Sapporo Japan and Salt Lake City USA. 

I would say in inverse order and let's see if Norway wants to do it now (Or even Poland :D )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now, considering how Milan worked perfectly for the second cities. Watch from Europe:

Lyon - It's only 1:30 hours from Annecy/Albertville and this is the second metropolitan area of France after Paris (With more of 2 millions). Like Milan, Lyon was always in the shadows of Paris even if the city has its own charm and value. The Parc Olympique Lyonnais can work perfectly for Opening Ceremony, and like Italy did, the closing can be made in St. Etienne or Grenoble.

Barcelona/Zaragoza - The Castilian nightmare continues now with La Molina :D

Krakow - Now, after being selected as host for the European Games. Let's see what happens there. Also, Slovakia is closer in border, not like Latvia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2019 at 7:13 AM, WD96 said:

Edinburgh: New venues 

Bilbao: New venues

Even so, no winter sporting heritage in those cities.  The Spanish Olympic Committee will NOT put Bilbao forward when it has Jaca and Zaragosa in the true Castilian-speaking regions.  Bilbao is the unofficial capital of Basque country, hence they don't want to glorify Bilbao.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to see a Tibet-K2-Khatmandu bid!  (OK, Figure Skating in New Delhi; ice hockey in Bangalore and Chennai!  That should shut them up for the Summer Games!   :lol:

Of course, the slogan would be: ON TOP OF THE WORLD!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2019 at 9:13 AM, WD96 said:

Zagreb: It needs renovations to its venues.

Edinburgh: New venues 

Bilbao: New venues

If the Castilians are envious and stubborn of the Catalans to get the Olympics first (Exclusive words of Ana Botella). Imagine now with the Basques :D Not gonna happen in eons

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For 2030, I'd say Salt Lake City is as close to a lock to host as possible. It's a safe bid with nearly all the venues (a compact plan bid as well) in place not to mention planned infrastructure upgrades underway at the SLC airport and expansion of TRAX (light rail) and the commuter train FrontRunner. The only competition venue needed is a secondary ice hockey arena (Peaks Ice Arena has long since been reconfigured) and an Olympic Village (not sure if either the University of Utah or Brigham Young University would need additional on-campus housing by then).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think most European potential bidders will read the room and realise that SLC is a likely lock with Sapporo probably for 2034. The Japanese made such a song and dance about not bidding for 2026 because the shinkansen would not be ready (like that will be the main transport link required FFS) and with the completion now delayed until 2031 at the earliest I doubt they'll put their hand up for 2030.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thatsnotmypuppy said:

I think most European potential bidders will read the room and realise that SLC is a likely lock with Sapporo probably for 2034. The Japanese made such a song and dance about not bidding for 2026 because the shinkansen would not be ready (like that will be the main transport link required FFS) and with the completion now delayed until 2031 at the earliest I doubt they'll put their hand up for 2030.

Might also have had a little something to do with the fact that Japan is already hosting an Olympics and bidding for another one (especially when that other one is having budget issues) probably wouldn't be the smartest idea.

I think Sapporo will bid for 2030.  SLC is the obviously front-runner, but I have a feeling the IOC will encourage Sapporo to give the appearance of a competition and then if nothing else, it gives them a leg up for 2034.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Hightowerio86 said:

It's very likely that the IOC will probably do another double allocation like they did with Paris 2024 and LA 2028

Bullfuckingshit it's very likely.  That was a one time deal.  I see no reason they would be compelled to do it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Bullfuckingshit it's very likely.  That was a one time deal.  I see no reason they would be compelled to do it again.

It's not "very likely" - however unless a competitive, locally supported bid from a proper Winter sports power (Norway etc) it may do the IOC good to just secure two solid hosts that will deliver events with the appropriate scale to perhaps entice the bigger players to bid again. 

Milan will help - but SLC and Sapporo - who both have the majority of what they need in place and more importantly are using the existing infrastructure - will help the IOC further down the line.

Thus I wouldn't expect it - but wouldn't rule it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, thatsnotmypuppy said:

It's not "very likely" - however unless a competitive, locally supported bid from a proper Winter sports power (Norway etc) it may do the IOC good to just secure two solid hosts that will deliver events with the appropriate scale to perhaps entice the bigger players to bid again. 

Milan will help - but SLC and Sapporo - who both have the majority of what they need in place and more importantly are using the existing infrastructure - will help the IOC further down the line.

Thus I wouldn't expect it - but wouldn't rule it out.

I really hate what this website has become that this is still a discussion.  That the narrative is still "that thing that happened once and we know is unlikely to happen again.. let's talk about it more because we're fucking bored here and it'll make things more interesting."  What happened to when this place used to be smarter than that?

This idea of "maybe solid hosts will entice future bidders" still falls very flat to me.  What is it about Salt Lake or Sapporo that other cities will see that's going to entice them to bid?  To say nothing of the fact that neither of those will happen for more than a decade.  Do you really think the IOC is projecting ahead to 2038 or 2042 and worried about what the consequences of the next bid cycle will be that will affect that?  That's the kind of crap GamesBids wouldn't have been talking about a few years ago.  Now, it's about wild speculation with very little reasonable thought behind it.

Let's say we have Salt Lake and Sapporo bidding for 2030.  What's the upside in awarding them both?  As opposed to letting them duke it out and producing a winner (and yes, a loser).  Does anyone think if SLC lost, they wouldn't bid again for 2034?  Ditto with Sapporo.  They'll be in this for the long haul.  What happened with Paris and LA was the perfect storm of circumstances to create what the IOC wound up doing.  It's next to impossible for that to repeat itself for the IOC to be compelled to do it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But a precedent has now been set so there is always going to be the question when it comes to a head to head between two formidable potential hosts the IOC has provided themselves with a diplomatic way of getting out of any criticism.

Will it happen again? Highly unlikely.

Could it happen? Yes.

Am I enjoying your passionate ranting? Possibly...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, thatsnotmypuppy said:

But a precedent has now been set so there is always going to be the question when it comes to a head to head between two formidable potential hosts the IOC has provided themselves with a diplomatic way of getting out of any criticism.

Will it happen again? Highly unlikely.

Could it happen? Yes.

Am I enjoying your passionate ranting? Possibly...

The phrase "highly unlikely" is being pretty generous IMO.  If it's that unlikely, why does there *always* have to be the question?  Because it happened once, we need to acknowledge it as a possibility every time now?  Can we as a forum that's supposed to be knowledgeable on these things be fucking smarter than that?  Is that too much to ask?  The answer to that rhetorical question sadly is yes, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The IOC didn't do what they did with Paris and LA to avoid criticism.  There was certainly a level of diplomacy there because it required making a deal, but that didn't come without a cost.  It shouldn't be the default assumption that because that happened once, somehow there's a precedent there that we need to have in the back of our minds.

And yes, I will continue the ranting about this because it symbolizes what this site has somewhat tragically devolved into.  Which is a crying shame and I don't think it happened just because Olympic bidding got boring in the past few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

The phrase "highly unlikely" is being pretty generous IMO.  If it's that unlikely, why does there *always* have to be the question?  Because it happened once, we need to acknowledge it as a possibility every time now?  Can we as a forum that's supposed to be knowledgeable on these things be fucking smarter than that?  Is that too much to ask?  The answer to that rhetorical question sadly is yes, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The IOC didn't do what they did with Paris and LA to avoid criticism.  There was certainly a level of diplomacy there because it required making a deal, but that didn't come without a cost.  It shouldn't be the default assumption that because that happened once, somehow there's a precedent there that we need to have in the back of our minds.

And yes, I will continue the ranting about this because it symbolizes what this site has somewhat tragically devolved into.  Which is a crying shame and I don't think it happened just because Olympic bidding got boring in the past few years.

Gosh - I wish they double awarded 2026/30 now lol.

Anyhow. So let's start #SLC30 right here and now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, thatsnotmypuppy said:

Gosh - I wish they double awarded 2026/30 now lol.

Anyhow. So let's start #SLC30 right here and now.

There was a certain "other" poster here that was rooting hard for that, if nothing else just to rub it in my face that I said it wouldn't happen.  Thus is the craptasticness of this website.  It was one thing when once upon a time you had American posters and Canadians posters fighting with each other, but at least there was some substance behind it.  In contrast with "I'm going to make an argument to oppose you for the sake of being a contrarian because me.. like.. trolling!"

I get that there's not much to talk about here these days since we're likely 4 years away from the next Olympic host being determined.  And that there's not that much news to be consumed.  It is what it is.  The funny thing for me is that I love the Olympics a lot more than I love Olympic bidding, but there aren't exactly a lot of forums out there like this.  If someone wants to point me to somewhere where they actually treat the Olympics as more than "2 ceremonies and some filler in between" or "let's spend a week analyzing their choice of a color palette for their logo", please let me know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2019 at 7:15 PM, Tulsa said:

We could see another European bid, like PC 2018 and Beijing 2022.

I wonder if Thomas Bach is in talks with the Mayor of Munich in getting a bid from Munich Germany to host the 2030 Winter Games as a nice legacy from his years of being the IOC President to Germany, The 2032 Summer Games is very likely to go to Asia either Shanghai China or Jakarta Indonesia.

With Milan Italy having the 2026 Winter Games could bod well for a Munich Germany 2030 bid Things could cool down and could go down well if they have venues in Garmish-Partenkirchen and in Innsbruck Austria if they want to save the cost in building venues and let's hope in a few years time the anti Olympic movement cools down in Europe let's hope for a great outcome from the Tokyo Japan 2020 Summer Games.

Milan - Cortina Italy 2026

Munich Germany - Innsbruck 2030

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Olympianfan said:

I wonder if Thomas Bach is in talks with the Mayor of Munich in getting a bid from Munich Germany to host the 2030 Winter Games as a nice legacy from his years of being the IOC President to Germany, The 2032 Summer Games is very likely to go to Asia either Shanghai China or Jakarta Indonesia.

With Milan Italy having the 2026 Winter Games could bod well for a Munich Germany 2030 bid Things could cool down and could go down well if they have venues in Garmish-Partenkirchen and in Innsbruck Austria if they want to save the cost in building venues and let's hope in a few years time the anti Olympic movement cools down in Europe let's hope for a great outcome from the Tokyo Japan 2020 Summer Games.

Milan - Cortina Italy 2026

Munich Germany - Innsbruck 2030

giphy.gif

Why would you wonder something like that other than a desire to make up random ****?  I doubt Bach is going to give a wink wink nudge nudge to Munich to try and get them back in the fray as if he needs that for his legacy.  Even then, what about Milan hosting 2026 helps Munich for a potential 2030 bid?  Because 1 spread out bid won a vote (against another spread out bid), suddenly Munich/Garmish/Innsbruck is going to be a thing?  Good like trying to beat Salt Lake City with that one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Munich Germany - Innsbruck 2030 Bid seems difficult because it's 2 countries... Germany or Austria are able to host WoG without anyone else. But maybe we could see this kind of bid between two countries in the futur.

I imagine Geneva/Chamonix/Annecy :lol: but impossible. .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×