2030 Olympic Winter Games Bids

10 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Maybe it'll be like we do here where they award 2030, 2034, 2038, 2042, and just so they don't have to worry about it, 2058 as well

Why stop there. Why not name the Olympic hosts for the next 100 years, like many of those ole GB's threads of the past. :P

7 December 2022 - IOC Executive Board Meeting - Press Conference

Double Awarding 2030 and 2034 no later than 2025

• “Bach told reporters, cautioning speculation, that he understood a double allocation of the 2030 and 2034 Olympic and Paralympic Games would need to happen no later than 2025”
  • “I think it would be too late in ‘26 for a double award. Four years, even if you have extremely well prepared cities and regions four years is pretty short,” he said regarding the timeline.”
  • “Earlier this year Bach said the 2034 Games would be awarded by his successor after his term ends in 2025, ensuring good governance. But that changed this week when the IOC’s Future Host Commission raised concerns about climate change impacting potential Winter hosts and proposed new measures to secure “climate-capable” sites for future editions.”

Pool of Rotating Winter Olympic Games Hosts

• “Applicants in the current 2030 race – Salt Lake City, Sapporo, and Vancouver – who are all former hosts, will have to adjust plans to the new open-ended timeline with the possible consideration of 2034. They may also need to welcome new competition.”
  • Salt Lake City:  “United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee (USOPC) prefers Salt Lake City to host in 2034 to allow breathing space following the Los Angeles 2028 Summer Games, so this new direction could add clarity to the plans.”
  • Vancouver:  “British Columbia’’s Vancouver-centred  Indigenous led bid will get more time and more options to present to provincial officials after the BC government passed on the project in October without discussion.”
  • Sapporo:  “Japanese officials will use the time to address flawed governance issues that led to widespread corruption during the organization of the Tokyo 2020 Games.”
  • “IOC Executive Director Christophe Dubi said the bid is not limited to these current applicants.”

1 hour ago, FYI said:

Which do you think would the DOSB would prefer now, a winter 2034 bid, or summer 2036 bid?

A summer bid (elsewhere than Munich) might be an easier sell (given that the only viable winter host city remains very IOC sceptic - officials here even explictly said so after the success of the European Championships this summer which triggered another debate if Munich could/should do it again).

3 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

A summer bid (elsewhere than Munich) might be an easier sell (given that the only viable winter host city remains very IOC sceptic - officials here even explictly said so after the success of the European Championships this summer which triggered another debate if Munich could/should do it again).

For 2036 a summer bid with Berlin.

The report below is a summary of the week’s historical events about the 2030 Winter Olympic Games and is from the one-day Olympic Summit held 9 December 2022:

Olympic Winter Games 2030 

• “The Summit was informed by the Chair of the Future Host Commission for the Olympic Winter Games about interest for future Games. At this stage, the IOC remains in Continuous Dialogue with several well-developed projects by parties that have expressed interest in the Olympic Winter Games 2030 and with whom intense collaboration is ongoing.”
  • “The Summit was also informed that the Commission is looking into challenges and opportunities facing future Olympic Winter Games, such as the impact of climate change. A number of proposals which could have an impact on future elections were discussed, including rotation of the Games within a certain pool of hosts, minimum climate conditions and existing infrastructure criteria.”
  • “Upon the request of the Commission, the IOC Executive Board decided to give the Commission more time to study all these factors to make the best possible decisions about future hosting, including a revised 2030 election timeframe.”
  • “Consideration was also given to the notion of a double award for 2030/2034 to create stability for winter sports and the Olympic Winter Games. Considering the opportunities and challenges this could present, no conclusion was reached, as this requires further exploration”.
  • “These considerations by the IOC Executive Board and the Future Host Commission for the Olympic Winter Games were welcomed and supported by the Summit.”

In the wake of the IOC announcement about not just a possible double awarding but potentially pushing back the decision to 2025 and allowing other bidders time to enter the race speaks volumes as to the state of the 2030 race. I mentioned this in the Vancouver thread a short while ago that with the new targeted dialogue and encouraging the use of existing venues including regional bids, that the BC government still felt a Vancouver bid wasn't financially viable. That's enough right there that says BC wasn't buying what the IOC was selling leaving the IOC in the exact same state they were for 2022, two bids left, albeit as I also stated in the aforementioned thread, both Sapporo and Salt Lake City are nowhere near what the IOC had to choose from when they were left with Almaty and Beijing. Having said that, I think Sapporo's public support issues and the desire for SLC to want 2034 instead of 2030 left the IOC really with no choice but to postpone.

I suspect that as part of the targeted dialogue, the IOC likely realized Sapporo`s problems were too much to overcome right now. I also suspect by postponing the decision, the IOC is hoping by 2024 or 2025 that PR support for Sapporo is back up and the bribery scandal is resolved. If not, there's no chance for Sapporo. As for Salt Lake, it would not have surprised me if the IOC and reps from Salt Lake had serious conversations about 2030 but I imagine at the end of all this, the price of compensation was higher than what the IOC was willing to pay to cover the loss of likely sponsorship money. Does Vancouver get back in the mix? Only if the BC government says so. The First Nations and COC can stamp their feet and moan all they want? They aren`t paying the bill.

I think there's another issue at play here and that surrounds the mention of 2025. The global economy is in shambles right now with inflation and high gas prices. More than a few economists are predicting a recession sometime next year that will last well into 2024 or even 2025. Could the IOC be anticipating that and realizing after Vancouver bailed that the economic headwinds are too strong to award the 2030 WOGs right now? I'd speculate that is very likely especially with media report about the increasing costs for both Paris and Milan-Cortina (there was a news article on Milan-Cortina a few months ago where it was stated there was literally no money for the games) then Sapporo announced an uptick in their budget and I have posted before about how Brisbane`s low-ball figure was a pipe dream.

As for the permanent rotation idea, it's time for that on the WOGs side. The question is how do you entice some of the traditional winter sports powers like Norway, Switzerland, Germany, and Austria to give it a go when the IOC has such a poor PR reputation? Maybe by 2025 they can figure that one out.

People saying "its healthy and Europeans will bid in the future calm your tits" really need some self reflection at this point.  The Winter Olympic Games situation is DIRE, and its existence is at stake.  We have 2-3 more cycles tops before that reality sets in.......including SLC and Cortina/Milan.  Beyond that is straight up uhoh status, and its abundantly obvious.  Germany is not going to rescue us.  Nor Scandinavia, nor Switzerland, nor Austria.  Its going to take a miracle.  Period.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stryker said:

In the wake of the IOC announcement about not just a possible double awarding but potentially pushing back the decision to 2025 and allowing other bidders time to enter the race speaks volumes as to the state of the 2030 race. I mentioned this in the Vancouver thread a short while ago that with the new targeted dialogue and encouraging the use of existing venues including regional bids, that the BC government still felt a Vancouver bid wasn't financially viable. That's enough right there that says BC wasn't buying what the IOC was selling leaving the IOC in the exact same state they were for 2022, two bids left, albeit as I also stated in the aforementioned thread, both Sapporo and Salt Lake City are nowhere near what the IOC had to choose from when they were left with Almaty and Beijing. Having said that, I think Sapporo's public support issues and the desire for SLC to want 2034 instead of 2030 left the IOC really with no choice but to postpone.

I suspect that as part of the targeted dialogue, the IOC likely realized Sapporo`s problems were too much to overcome right now. I also suspect by postponing the decision, the IOC is hoping by 2024 or 2025 that PR support for Sapporo is back up and the bribery scandal is resolved. If not, there's no chance for Sapporo. As for Salt Lake, it would not have surprised me if the IOC and reps from Salt Lake had serious conversations about 2030 but I imagine at the end of all this, the price of compensation was higher than what the IOC was willing to pay to cover the loss of likely sponsorship money. Does Vancouver get back in the mix? Only if the BC government says so. The First Nations and COC can stamp their feet and moan all they want? They aren`t paying the bill.

I think there's another issue at play here and that surrounds the mention of 2025. The global economy is in shambles right now with inflation and high gas prices. More than a few economists are predicting a recession sometime next year that will last well into 2024 or even 2025. Could the IOC be anticipating that and realizing after Vancouver bailed that the economic headwinds are too strong to award the 2030 WOGs right now? I'd speculate that is very likely especially with media report about the increasing costs for both Paris and Milan-Cortina (there was a news article on Milan-Cortina a few months ago where it was stated there was literally no money for the games) then Sapporo announced an uptick in their budget and I have posted before about how Brisbane`s low-ball figure was a pipe dream.

As for the permanent rotation idea, it's time for that on the WOGs side. The question is how do you entice some of the traditional winter sports powers like Norway, Switzerland, Germany, and Austria to give it a go when the IOC has such a poor PR reputation? Maybe by 2025 they can figure that one out.

Agree there’s time for the permanent rotation idea to be considered and developed further.

Re Sapporo, they remain in Continuous Dialogue and have not yet been elevated to Targeted Dialogue - nor has anyone else.

The IOC EB has just decided to postpone until 2025 who is elevated to Targeted Dialogue and allow new candidatures to also enter Continuous Dialogue.

New climate restrictions will also be put on all Winter candidatures who must have an 10-year average minimum temperature at snow venues of below freezing.  

1 hour ago, iceman530 said:

People saying "its healthy and Europeans will bid in the future calm your tits" really need some self reflection at this point.  The Winter Olympic Games situation is DIRE, and its existence is at stake.  We have 2-3 more cycles tops before that reality sets in.......including SLC and Cortina/Milan.  Beyond that is straight up uhoh status, and its abundantly obvious.  Germany is not going to rescue us.  Nor Scandinavia, nor Switzerland, nor Austria.  Its going to take a miracle.  Period.  

We’ll always have Trojena…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanMUC said:

We’ll always have Trojena…

Doubt it.    Doesn’t appear to meet likely new 10 year average minimum temperature requirement to be freezing below at snow venues during Games times (February).

Its safe then to cross Trojena straight off the list for any future candidature for Olympic Winter Games as its too warm.

New Entrants already for 2030 / 2034 ?

Has the IOC just hinted in last week’s IOC EB press conference that there are actual new entrants about to enter Continuous Dialogue for 2030 and 2034 ?

Very intriguing to interpret the words of IOC Executive Director Christophe Dubi when talking about the new Continuous Dialogue timelines now extending out to 2025:

• “In this continuous dialogue we have the opportunity to welcome projects, until we close the continuous dialogue – yes we can have projects,” IOC Executive Director Christophe Dubi said Wednesday.”

• “There are a number of parties that are looking into the distant future that we have been talking to in the last weeks and months and these discussions will certainly continue including with this new time frame,” he added.”

Credit:  Vancouver’s 2030 Olympic bid welcomes “more time” given by IOC, with more options for Province to consider - 7 Dec 2022 - Gamesbids.com

31 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

2025 is pretty friggin snug to award the 2030 games.  I mean, doable for a United States or Japan, but thats doing them no favors whatsoever.

It’s tight but do-able as all three contenders have a lot of existing infrastructure from their first Hosting gig.  

Yes upgrades will be needed but at least neither of the big three will building new venues en masse from scratch.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd venture to say with Sapporo pausing their bid and going to a public vote the IOC is now actually in worse shape than the 2022 race. They have no sure fire candidate city that wants 2030. Their best option wants 2034. As for new competition, who? Almaty? I doubt anyone from IOC skeptical Western Europe is going to throw their hat in the ring at this point. Heck at this point why doesn't Pyeongchang give it a go?

If anyone else was interested, they would've raised their hand up by now, especially if we're talking about 2030. The delay into the final decision/'election' doesn't change that. It's only highlighting what most of us here already know, that with the 'new norm', there no longer any firm timelines/deadlines to adhere to. So the IOC is trying to play that record for anyone else that they think/hope might not have heard it yet. 

• 2 weeks later...

“A joint bid between Valais in Switzerland and Chamonix in France and resorts in northern Italy could be launched to host the 2030 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games.”

“But Olympic officials in Switzerland are reluctant to back the campaign after the public voted in a referendum not to support a bid due to the excessive costs involved.”

Switzerland looks to its neighbours for the 2030 Winter Games

“Will the race for the 2030 Winter Games soon have a new contender? Possibly. The Swiss daily Le Temps reveals that a working group has been set up in the Valais to work on an Olympic project. It is said to be preparing a bid for the Espace Mont-Blanc for the 2030 edition, bringing together Switzerland, France and northern Italy.”

“The idea originated in Valais, where successive failed bids for the Winter Games in 1976, 2002, 2006 and 2026 have not stifled all ambitions. The latest failure in particular has left painful traces. Presented as a solid and credible option, the Sion 2006 project was buried by the voters, with the no vote winning by 53.98% in June 2018 in the inevitable “vote” organised in the canton.”

“But the Olympic dream is not dead. The success of the 2020 Winter Youth Games in Lausanne would even have given it a serious boost.”

cQDpnDx.jpg

Switzerland looks to its neighbours for the 2030 Winter Games - FrancsJeux - 5Jan 2023