2030 Olympic Winter Games Bids

Sure, vancouver isnt polling well currently either.  Point is, they should be doing this in both Sapporo and Vancouver.  One may have more of a shot than the other, but they need to work on their charm offensive game full stop.  That is abundantly obvious.  We have one ironclad bid and two legitimate contenders with flimsy outlooks.  If we had two ironclad bids Id say we have nothing more to say here, but we dont.  Im infatuated with the idea of another Sapporo games so don't think Im rooting against that.  From a weather conditions standpoint and a feasibility standpoint, it doesnt get much better.  

That said, you bring up an excellent point about the artificial snow problem.  That is serious business and something that is going to have to be a mandatory discussion in the near future.  That is going to eliminate a sizable swath of viable candidates, and again, we know this.  I think this is something that is going to have to be discussed from the 2038 games and after when potential candidates are discussed.

I mean, I was thinking Sochi could be an insurance policy way down the road, like 2038-on, but I question that for reasons besides the obvious.  If all the political stuff was put in a bubble and it was completely isolated as a problem, the weather alone might not make it a viable host location any longer (wasn't it like, 72 degrees one of the hockey days in 2014 in Sochi?).  By that point, Russia might have to build something in Baikal/Sable Mountain or Novosibirsk/Sheregesh (the later supposedly has legendary snow conditions that riders constantly rave about).  

1 hour ago, yoshi said:

All setting up nicely for confirmation of SLC 2030 in February just before Beijing, a la Brisbane. Unless they want to take it into spring or summer so there can be some senior Americans there when the deal is signed. 

Actually I don’t think so :).   Not unless by “confirmed” you mean that SLC 2030 might be elevated to the Targeted Diaologue phases as preferred bidder ahead Beijing.   That is “possible” but even that is unlikely as it requires the Future Host Commission to recommend this to the IOC Executive Board first.   The IOC EB then need to have time to review the FHC Recommendation. The Games start in just over a month and I actually don’t think its possible as not enough time.

Brisbane was the first in this new process and there was a media conference by the IOC President announcing Brisbane’selevation to Targeted Dialogue in February before the Host Vote happened 6 months laterin July.

I think that some time after Beijing 2022, the FHC will recommend a candidature for Targeted Dialogue but I have a feeling that it may be Sapporo 2030 or Vancouver 2030 that are elevated, if their citizens support their Bid.

If Sapporo or Vancouver fall over, then SLC are more likely to then be elevated for 2030, but that’s going to take us well past Beijing 2022.

^How do you know that a lot of that hasn’t taken place already, though (especially with how “behind-the-scenes” the bid process takes place now)? The IOC hasn’t remained idle, I’m sure, about this post-Tokyo 2020ne. And also when the USOC chief just announces that “tremendous progress has been made for SLC to host (another) Winter Olympics as early as 2030”.

Sounds really that a lot has taken place already. And if it wasn’t for the USOC preferring 2034 instead, this already would’ve been signed, sealed & delivered. Or at the very least, the “targeted dialog” would’ve been proclaimed by now & then made official at Beijing 2022. 

That said, though, with the way things are, I think we’ll see confirmation of something by the Barranquilla session next summer. And it’s also interesting that what would’ve been considered “nonsensical” by some here, even just a few months ago, is now possibly becoming more reality (i.e. maybe Sapporo or Vancouver 2030/SLC 2034). 

Interesting line from the end of Rob's article...

The USOPC said they hope to choose either 2030 or 2034 as the bid’s target year following the Beijing Games.

If that's to be believed, then clearly we shouldn't expect much to happen before Beijing.  It's noted a couple of times in the article that the sponsorship issues with LA 2028 are still a factor in the decision, but something that all 3 parties would be willing to work together on.  Salt Lake has a great deal of leverage here, which obviously is rare for a potential Olympic host.  If they know the IOC doesn't have good options for 2030, they've clearly already put the wheels in motion to have themselves ready for that.  Or they can slide back to 2034 and present themselves as giving the IOC a great deal of stability if they want to lock in another future host.

Sapporo Public Survey to be held in January

“In January 2022, the Sapporo Municipal Government will hold a forum for discussion with city residents, and in March, a poll of Hokkaido residents' views on the Games will be carried out. A final plan will be compiled in accordance with findings from both.

Credit: Editorial: Sapporo needs more than cost-cutting measures to justify Winter Olympic bid - 11Dec21 - The Mainichi

Other bidders might be interested too are Savoy (France), Lviv (Ukraine), Borjomi (Georgia), Lillehammer (Norway) [Host of the 1994 Olympics], Almaty (Kazakhstan) and Schmalkalden (Germany). Kazakhstan, Ukraine and Georgia have never hosted the Winter Olympics. IOC have supported Borjomi's bid to host. Borjomi is possible to host the 2030 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games. I think Borjomi seems like a good idea.

2 hours ago, SportLightning said:

Other bidders might be interested too are Savoy (France), Lviv (Ukraine), Borjomi (Georgia), Lillehammer (Norway) [Host of the 1994 Olympics], Almaty (Kazakhstan) and Schmalkalden (Germany). Kazakhstan, Ukraine and Georgia have never hosted the Winter Olympics. IOC have supported Borjomi's bid to host. Borjomi is possible to host the 2030 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games. I think Borjomi seems like a good idea.

Schmalkalden

:lol::unsure::lol:

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

So 2023 would be the 'normal ' year to announce 2030- seven years before....

Time got away on this one!

More like there was a worldwide pandemic, so that hampered their ability to focus on the 2030 Olympics.  But yea, it's the usual timeline, so whoever gets picked as host will still have the usual prep time

A worldwide pandemic didn't hamper the IOC's ability to focus on the 2032 Olympics, though (on the contrary, they were in such a fricken hurry to crown those Games ASAP). So that's not it at all for them not focusing on 2030 any earlier. It's more like the IOC just playing their usual, what's *convenient* for them ATM shenanigans. 

11 minutes ago, FYI said:

A worldwide pandemic didn't hamper the IOC's ability to focus on the 2032 Olympics, though (on the contrary, they were in such a fricken hurry to crown those Games ASAP).

They had got the Coatesvax jab in Lausanne and managed to focus better on 2032.

1 hour ago, StefanMUC said:

They had got the Coatesvax jab in Lausanne and managed to focus better on 2032.

LOL, exactly. Other than the fact of Tokyo 2020 being postponed by a year, the notion that the pandemic hampered any of the IOC's other interests is just as hasty.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...