2030 Olympic Winter Games Bids

• 4 weeks later...

Spain to present Barcelona-Pyrenees bid for 2030 Winter Olympics
Source: Xinhua  2021-07-16 17:11:42 Editor: huaxia

MADRID, July 16 (Xinhua) -- Spanish Olympic Committee president Alejandro Blanco has confirmed that his organization will bid to host the 2030 Winter Olympic Games.

The 'Pireneus-Barcelona' bid will be centered on the city of Barcelona and the Pyrenees mountain range in the communities of Catalonia and Aragon in the north of Spain.

In an interview with the 'El Mundo Deportivo' newspaper, Blanco explained the Spanish Olympic Committee (COE) had letters of support from Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez and regional leaders Pere Aragones (Catalonia) and Javier Lamban (Aragon).

"Apart from sending the letters to the IOC headquarters in Switzerland, I will also take a copy of the four letters with me to Tokyo - mine and that of the three presidents - which I will hand over to President Thomas Bach at the IOC Olympic session that takes place in the course of the Tokyo Olympics," explained Blanco.

"It is very important that we all go hand in hand with the IOC, and when it is considered that the project is finished, it will be time to present it," he said.

The idea of hosting a Winter Olympics based around Barcelona, which hosted the 1992 Summer Games, has been around for a few years, but the inclusion of Aragon in the project widens its scope.

"The Pyrenees of Aragon offer a broader candidacy with more possibilities, and we cannot forget that in the Aragonese Pyrenees there are many people who live, understand and support winter and ice sports," said Blanco, who explained that the move meant the plan had to be "expanded" technically.

"The Olympic bid must be sustainable, both on the ecological side and respect for the environment and nature, as well as on the economic side. This is a project to regenerate the territory. An inclusive project, where social support is very important. This is a project that comes out of society and for all this it is an objective that through common work we can achieve the organization of the Winter Olympic Games," he concluded.

Xinhua

On 6/20/2021 at 6:10 PM, Olympian2005 said:

I would love an American city to host.... i was born 3 years after the SLC games so i have no idea what it is like to have an Olympic games in my country.

Salt Lake City might be the likely bid, but Lake Placid might want a shot at it. They're hosting the 2023 Winter Universiade.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lord David said:

Salt Lake City might be the likely bid, but Lake Placid might want a shot at it. They're hosting the 2023 Winter Universiade.

I visited Lake Placid in summer 2019. Saw the museum and the sights of the 1980 WOGs. Enjoyed the trip and would like to go back in the winter months. Unfortunately, while I'd like to see the games return to Lake Placid they would have to likely team up with New York to make it work. That's a logistical challenge transportation wise not to mention a satellite village would have to be built in the Lake Placid area for the skiing and sliding events and I don't see a need for one post-Olympics. Salt Lake City is like Los Angeles. They are as close to a sure thing for a cost efficient and compact Olympics as there is. Good to see Lake Placid hosting the winter universiade though. Those venues are getting some much needed upkeep.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 3:58 AM, iceman530 said:

Guess we can jettison any hopes of a WOG in Spain (now or ever)

More than likely for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately this is an opportunity for the IOC to revamp it's PR problem in the face of a growing No Olympics crowd in Barcelona yet the bets they can do is trot out JAS Jr. With a plea for unity.

On 11/15/2021 at 11:12 PM, AustralianFan said:

As history has shown us, but the Olympic world doesn't "owe" anything to anyone. And such a strategy is always destined to fail (albeit, under normal circumstances, of course).

This article is also looking at things pretty black-&-white. It's not like the Japanese, nor the Turks for that matter, are any more fluent in English, or better at lobbying, than the Spaniards are to solely blame Madrid's 2020 loss on that. In fact, I'd say that they were in a better position in that category than the Japanese were. Prince Felipe was a big hit at the Sports Accord back in 2013, & many were then saying "the final momentum is on Madrid's side". There were so many other dynamics at play there, that singling out any particular one, especially the (lack of, in this case) English-language/lobbying angle, is a very narrow view on the entire 2020 race.

History has also shown us that it's not always the "best technical" bid that always wins, either (which, for 2020 is probably debatable anyway, particularly against Tokyo, considering all of the other variables). The (previous) short-list process always entailed candidates that were deemed worthy enough by the IOC Evaluation Committee, & that's why they were on the final ballot TBW.

However, I did find the very last part interesting. Since it covers pretty much what I mentioned in the Madrid 2036 thread a few months back. That had Madrid won 2020 instead, they more than likely would've cancelled 2020 when they were right in the midst of the pandemic where it was really bad there, months before any vaccine appeared to be on the horizon. But a couple of other members here were adamant to the contrary. Though here you have the former head of the Madrid 2020 bid committee, & two-time Olympic gold medalist saying - "Spain would have said to the IOC , 'we give you back the Games, we can't do them'. And that would have been a drama".

2 hours ago, FYI said:

As history has shown us, but the Olympic world doesn't "owe" anything to anyone. And such a strategy is always destined to fail (albeit, under normal circumstances, of course).

And with all due respect to Spain, hard to make the case that they're owed an Olympics considering not only have they hosted one in fairly recent memory, but we all know the circumstances that got them those Olympics.

8 hours ago, stryker said:

More than likely for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately this is an opportunity for the IOC to revamp it's PR problem in the face of a growing No Olympics crowd in Barcelona yet the bets they can do is trot out JAS Jr. With a plea for unity.

Its not just Barcelona, but the Pyrenees towns that are being proposed to host events as well.  Thats probably just as critical a node.  

2 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Hard to see how anyone other than the Japanese could have pulled off the Olympics in 2020/2021. Not only logistically, but with the DEEP pockets just to keep spending what was needed.

The IOC lucked out big time...

completely agreed there.  I cannot think of anyone besides Japan successfully pulling that off the way that they did.  The IOC was extraordinarily fortunate that they awarded a games to Tokyo.  It absolutely was the best case scenario under the circumstances

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iceman530 said:

completely agreed there.  I cannot think of anyone besides Japan successfully pulling that off the way that they did.  The IOC was extraordinarily fortunate that they awarded a games to Tokyo.  It absolutely was the best case scenario under the circumstances

I mean, japan managed to pull off the olympics. But not because they wanted them, it was because otherwise they would have paid three times the total cost of the olympics, if not they would have straight up cancelled them.

22 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

And with all due respect to Spain, hard to make the case that they're owed an Olympics considering not only have they hosted one in fairly recent memory, but we all know the circumstances that got them those Olympics.

I'd say the only host that claimed the "we are owed an Olympics" was Athens in the 1996 race and we all know how that turned out. They toned that angle down for the 2004 race but it's hard to argue that Athens somehow had a better bid than the likes of Rome or Buenos Aires.

Spain has no case in that category.

18 hours ago, stryker said:

I'd say the only host that claimed the "we are owed an Olympics" was Athens in the 1996 race and we all know how that turned out. They toned that angle down for the 2004 race but it's hard to argue that Athens somehow had a better bid than the likes of Rome or Buenos Aires.

Spain has no case in that category.

Actually, Greece couldn't play the 'we are owed' card for '96, since they didn't really have any failed bids, at that point, under their belt to make such a claim for. What they played was the "we have an absolute RIGHT to host the Centennial Olympics, because we are the 'birthplace' of the Olympic Games, & you better damn well give it to us" card.  

I'd also further say, that many candidates in the past, have played the "we *deserve* to host the Olympics" card based on X or Y factor (i.e. Beijing 2008, Rio 2016. And India wants to play their X-factor now, too, for 2036). But if any city is "owed" an Olympics due to the number of failed bis that they have had, then that honor goes to the darling of all failed bids, Istanbul. The always a bridesmaid, but never a bride candidate. But to downright demand (i.e. Athens 1996), or being cocky & putting down your opponents (i.e. Rome 2004) or claim that you are "owed" (i.e. Spain) an Olympics, will always get you nowhere. 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 6:08 PM, TorchbearerSydney said:

Hard to see how anyone other than the Japanese could have pulled off the Olympics in 2020/2021. Not only logistically, but with the DEEP pockets just to keep spending what was needed.

The IOC lucked out big time...

Exactly. I can't see how an economy that was tattered ITFP, like Spain's was, could've pulled it off, either. Plus, it's always been engrained in Japanese culture, that you always honor all of your obligations. I also think that had a lot to do of why Tokyo 2020ne wasn't cancelled. It was a matter of principle to them, even though, to some on the outside, it looked like a wreckless move.

1 hour ago, FYI said:

Exactly. I can't see how an economy that was tattered ITFP, like Spain's was, could've pulled it off, either. Plus, it's always been engrained in Japanese culture, that you always honor all of your obligations. I also think that had a lot to do of why Tokyo 2020ne wasn't cancelled. It was a matter of principle to them, even though, to some on the outside, it looked like a wreckless move.

That's my thought exactly.  They didn't want to admit to the world they couldn't pull it off.  So they pushed through, even though it cost them a pretty penny and may or may not have contributed to the summer surge in COVID cases in Japan (the Olympic bubble itself was pretty solid, but from what all we heard about the rest of the country, a lot of their "restrictions" were more like suggestions and may not actually have been followed.