2030 Olympic Winter Games Bids

11 hours ago, George_D said:

is there any chance for Munich or Olso to try again?

Munich: a) not for 2030 right after another Olympics in the Alps (Sochi being “in Europe” was already used as a pretext by some in the IOC to vote 2018 down); and b) not in general with the current hole the IOC keeps digging itself in, making it impossible to swing public opinion here.

Concerning a) one should note they are rather desperate to find ANYONE volunteering to host a Winter Olympics. In the end, we are seeing back-to-back games in Asia for 2018 and 2022. If neither the US nor Canada nor Japan come up, that should not be an issue. Especially with the IOC's wishy-washy dialogue phase one can enter with too much of a commitment.

b) Yeah, public opinion will be the more concerning issue.

5 hours ago, munichfan said:

Concerning a) one should note they are rather desperate to find ANYONE volunteering to host a Winter Olympics. In the end, we are seeing back-to-back games in Asia for 2018 and 2022. If neither the US nor Canada nor Japan come up, that should not be an issue. Especially with the IOC's wishy-washy dialogue phase one can enter with too much of a commitment.

b) Yeah, public opinion will be the more concerning issue.

But a) is also a reason why no serious politician in Munich/Bavaria would entertain the idea at least for 2030. The IOC only chose back-to-back Asian hosts because no Europeans were left. If there‘s a non-European bid on the menu for 2030, there‘s zero chance they would pick Munich. Of course if nobody at all would queue up, maybe someone in the IOC would send a subtle message to Munich to go the Brisbane route. But then of course we‘d still be left with the b) problem.

22 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

But a) is also a reason why no serious politician in Munich/Bavaria would entertain the idea at least for 2030. The IOC only chose back-to-back Asian hosts because no Europeans were left. If there‘s a non-European bid on the menu for 2030, there‘s zero chance they would pick Munich. Of course if nobody at all would queue up, maybe someone in the IOC would send a subtle message to Munich to go the Brisbane route. But then of course we‘d still be left with the b) problem.

In order to do the Brisbane road, though, one needs to enter a dialogue. With the new norm in place, one doesn't even have to give a specific date. Just make sure, they know you are on the table.

On 3/13/2021 at 4:49 AM, StefanMUC said:

Munich: a) not for 2030 right after another Olympics in the Alps (Sochi being “in Europe” was already used as a pretext by some in the IOC to vote 2018 down)

On 3/13/2021 at 12:08 PM, StefanMUC said:

If there‘s a non-European bid on the menu for 2030, there‘s zero chance they would pick Munich. Of course if nobody at all would queue up, maybe someone in the IOC would send a subtle message to Munich to go the Brisbane route. But then of course we‘d still be left with the b) problem.

I wouldn’t say there’s zero chance. There’s precedence to the contrary; Albertville ‘92 & Lillehammer ‘94. If some in the IOC used Sochi 2014 as a pretext against Munich for 2018, it was simply because they wanted PyeongChang 2018 more. The IOC doesn’t have that luxury anymore to be denying European winter bids that would actually be put on the table for them this time around.

And it’s not likes there’s another PyeongChang on the horizon, either. The IOC will have had enough of Asia for awhile (especially) after Beijing 2022. And it remains to be seen if Sapporo will still be interested in 2030 after the massive (headache) postponement Tokyo 2020 has become.

So that leaves North America, & some are already pointing to the fact that SLC would be better served for 2034, so as to not hinder too much corporate sponsorship from L.A. 2028. So then that leaves Canada; & after the Calgary 2026 bid debacle, & Vancouver 2010 being the most recent North American (winter) host, I’d say that pretty much leaves the door open for Europe 2030, despite Milan-(Cortina) 2026. But yeah, I agree. In the end, there’s still the  b) problem.

If 2018 and 2022 went to Asia then why not 2026 and 2030 to Europe? i dont think IOC (especially for the winter games where options for potential hosts arent so many ) gives so much imprtance in the continental rotation now than in the past. They just want a country that has the economic potential to held the games and strong public sport for the competition

So...Vancouver 2030 has a bid corporation set up, including support from Vancouver 2010 CEO John Furlong. They even have a logo. They still have to get support from City Hall, the Canadian Olympic Committee, and others, but the early machinery is coming into place to pursue a bid for Winter 2030. Though so far, none of the publicly named members or sponsors of the 2030 bid group appear to be heavy hitters within the community, other than Furlong, who seems to be mostly just providing vocal supporter in the press (and likely consulting advice).

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/bid-to-host-2030-olympics-in-vancouver-has-been-in-the-works-for-18-months-furlong-says-1.5326737

As a Vancouver resident and HUGE fan of the 2010 Games, I'm a bit torn. Yes, it would be fun to host again. But I feel it might be too soon. In Olympic cycles, 20 years isn't that long.

EuUBFvBUUAAPUn6?format=png&name=4096x409

Edited by Kenadian

On 3/15/2021 at 3:49 AM, George_D said:

If 2018 and 2022 went to Asia then why not 2026 and 2030 to Europe? i dont think IOC (especially for the winter games where options for potential hosts arent so many ) gives so much imprtance in the continental rotation now than in the past. They just want a country that has the economic potential to held the games and strong public sport for the competition

2022 went to Asia because there was no other option.  If the IOC had the choice of pretty much any other continent, they would have taken it.

Because 2026 is in Europe, that gives a slight advantage to any non-European bid for 2030.  Continental rotation is about having a choice.  If they have a choice, they might not want back to back games on the same continent.  Might be a moot point if no European cities bid, but I agree with your last point that whoever puts forward the best bid is likely to be the winner.

I think it depends on the European city bidding...  If it's Oslo then I'd give bet solid money on Oslo beating Vancouver, same with Munich (though they're not interested so that's a moot scenario).  But if it's Zakopane...  Vancouver probably wins.  Stockholm or a Spanish bid might have a chance against Vancouver.  I don't think that the continental rotation is nearly as much of a factor as it used to be, not especially when the IOC has struggled to keep European nations from bowing out of the bidding process entirely.

I can't see Oslo bidding anytime soon and not just due to the public opinion factor. The IOC burned too many bridges following Oslo's withdrawal from the 2022 race. When the like of Munich and Krakow dropped out the IOC shrugged and just said how many quality bids were left. Then when Oslo dropped out, Bach and the IOC blew a gasket. I'd have hard time believing the bad blood between the two are over.

While we are on the subject of back to backs, if the Sapporo bid fails to materialize, perhaps the IOC starts talking with SLC and Vancouver. One gets 2030 and the other gets 2034 unless a European bid gets its act together which seems unlikely.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Zhou Jiaming said:

I think Salt Lake City will bid for 2030, It would be the 50th anniversary of 1980 Winter Olympics held in Lake Placid!

Salt Lake City would love to bid for 2030, but that might not work out so well for the USOPC which has LA 2028 just 18 months prior.  Better strategy for them is to have Salt Lake bid for the 2034 Olympics.  But we'll see what happens with the IOC and if they need to beg for bid cities consider a general lack of interest and the prospect that Sapporo is probably going to take a hard pass depending on what happens with Tokyo this summer.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Salt Lake City would love to bid for 2030, but that might not work out so well for the USOPC which has LA 2028 just 18 months prior.  Better strategy for them is to have Salt Lake bid for the 2034 Olympics.  But we'll see what happens with the IOC and if they need to beg for bid cities consider a general lack of interest and the prospect that Sapporo is probably going to take a hard pass depending on what happens with Tokyo this summer.

Oh!

• 1 month later...

If I was casting my vote, I would vote the following by preference:

Barcelona-Pyrenees

Sapporo

Vancouver

Salt Lake City

Mainly because Spain has never hosted a Winter Olympics before. Also Vancouver only hosted last in 2010 with Salt Lake City also a recent host. Sapporo is listed second as sympathy for the compensated Tokyo Olympics this year.

8 hours ago, Victorian said:

If I was casting my vote, I would vote the following by preference:

Barcelona-Pyrenees

Sapporo

Vancouver

Salt Lake City

Mainly because Spain has never hosted a Winter Olympics before. Also Vancouver only hosted last in 2010 with Salt Lake City also a recent host. Sapporo is listed second as sympathy for the compensated Tokyo Olympics this year.

For Sapporo, the city was considered a favorite to stage the 2030 Winter Games, but for Barcelona's bid, this can also considered as historic because the Pyrenees straddles between Spain, Andorra, and France, and to date, we've never seen an Olympics being held in multiple countries more than one. And this bid here is representing not just one, but three different countries.

It looks like the IOC is facing tough choices for 2030, because there are a lot of interesting cities that can be identified sometimes, as a favorite or a historic bid, so the IOC should need to find a compensation and a resolution to these cities.

But Sapporo would have deserved it too because they had never hosted an another Winter Games since 1972, so does Japan since 1998 in Nagano, and especially since this year's Tokyo Games. If the city wants more time to prepare, they should be opted for 2034 instead, which means there is a lot of time to rehabilitate and redevelop the existing venues from 1972 if they would be used, and it would also be better for Sapporo if they staged the games without public funding, in which Vancouver's 2030 bid have brought themselves a possible financial concept for some future bidders.

That bidding problem would be solved for the IOC if they decided to double award both the 2030 and 2034 Games, just as Paris and LA did for both 2024 and 2028, or even better, to announce the host city 11 years prior to that year's Games. To give you an example: The awarding of the host city for 2036 would've been decided during the Athens IOC Session in 2025. This scenario here is based from a possible outcome that Brisbane would likely be awarded the 2032 Games during this year's IOC Session in Tokyo.

On 6/3/2021 at 9:15 AM, @SportNow786542 said:

For Sapporo, the city was considered a favorite to stage the 2030 Winter Games, but for Barcelona's bid, this can also considered as historic because the Pyrenees straddles between Spain, Andorra, and France, and to date, we've never seen an Olympics being held in multiple countries more than one. And this bid here is representing not just one, but three different countries.

It looks like the IOC is facing tough choices for 2030, because there are a lot of interesting cities that can be identified sometimes, as a favorite or a historic bid, so the IOC should need to find a compensation and a resolution to these cities.

But Sapporo would have deserved it too because they had never hosted an another Winter Games since 1972, so does Japan since 1998 in Nagano, and especially since this year's Tokyo Games. If the city wants more time to prepare, they should be opted for 2034 instead, which means there is a lot of time to rehabilitate and redevelop the existing venues from 1972 if they would be used, and it would also be better for Sapporo if they staged the games without public funding, in which Vancouver's 2030 bid have brought themselves a possible financial concept for some future bidders.

That bidding problem would be solved for the IOC if they decided to double award both the 2030 and 2034 Games, just as Paris and LA did for both 2024 and 2028, or even better, to announce the host city 11 years prior to that year's Games. To give you an example: The awarding of the host city for 2036 would've been decided during the Athens IOC Session in 2025. This scenario here is based from a possible outcome that Brisbane would likely be awarded the 2032 Games during this year's IOC Session in Tokyo.

That solution only works if they have 2 cities to award Olympics to.  No, it is not wise to announce a host city that far out.  Only increases the costs and chances for corruption.  And we've already gone down that road here with Brisbane how this is a less than transparent process that might result in them getting awarded the Olympics.

Right now, the IOC has not 1, but 2 giant messes on their hands with the next 2 Olympics.  They're not in a position to plan ahead much for 2030 and who knows where whether Sapporo and/or Salt Lake might be on things right now.  Obviously they need to start figuring 2030 out, but that's going to take a back seat right now to dealing with 2021 and 2022.

And for the umpteenth time.. 2024/2028 was a one off situation where the IOC had 2 good candidates to choose from.  That's why they did a double award.  It's completely counter-intuitive to do that where there aren't obvious choices.  If it was that simple, then they would have named Stockholm as the 2030 host and we wouldn't be having this conversation right now

19 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

That solution only works if they have 2 cities to award Olympics to.  No, it is not wise to announce a host city that far out.  Only increases the costs and chances for corruption.  And we've already gone down that road here with Brisbane how this is a less than transparent process that might result in them getting awarded the Olympics.

Right now, the IOC has not 1, but 2 giant messes on their hands with the next 2 Olympics.  They're not in a position to plan ahead much for 2030 and who knows where whether Sapporo and/or Salt Lake might be on things right now.  Obviously they need to start figuring 2030 out, but that's going to take a back seat right now to dealing with 2021 and 2022.

And for the umpteenth time.. 2024/2028 was a one off situation where the IOC had 2 good candidates to choose from.  That's why they did a double award.  It's completely counter-intuitive to do that where there aren't obvious choices.  If it was that simple, then they would have named Stockholm as the 2030 host and we wouldn't be having this conversation right now

The only possible double award I could see is Vancouver and Salt Lake City. I don't see the Sapporo bid going ahead and it's hard to envision a credible bid emerging from western Europe. Of course more chips have to fall into place, one being exactly how serious Vancouver is. 

47 minutes ago, BigVic said:

SLC 2030 would see back-to-back games in the USA. Sapporo 2030 would mean 4 Olympics in 12 years to be hosted within Asia. 

Salt Lake was only a couple of votes away from getting awarded the 1998 Olympics which would have been back to back with Atlanta.  So it almost happened before with a full vote, as opposed to whatever process may decide the 2030 host

2 hours ago, Hansfromdenmark said:

Are there no hope or indicates of a Oslo/Lillehammer bid for 2030?

Absolutely none. The wounds between Oslo and the IOC after the 2022 race are too fresh not to mention the public support just isn't there.