GBModerator

Breaking: Milan-Cortina Wins 2026 Olympic And Paralympic Winter Games Bid

I will believe a scandi bid when I see real commitment and interest from both the government AND the population. And so far, it seems as if they hate the very idea of hosting the Olympics, despite being the best performers at the WOG. The whole bid was fake as hell, everyone from the mayor of Stockholm to the government, except for the NOC, were uninterested since day one, and it was a miracle they even made it to the IOC Session, in all honesty.

• Like 1

Look, Q! He said “Scandie”, too!! :lol::P

But I so “110%” :D agree with that assessment entirely!

It's official - I am starting a gofundme to pay for airfares and accommodation so FYI and Quaker can just f*ck it out.

This revolution will be televised.

At least Anna König Jerlmyr was trendy on twitter (But not for the right reasons)

At least poor Ana Botella will have a rest of the jokes. Good to know the third Anne (Hidalgo) wasn't on that list

Next time Sweden bids, they must, by all means, keep Stockholm the hell away from the formula and try for another co-host city which will not sabotage the whole process for sure (Goteborg anyone?). They were lucky this time there wasn't people bombing their stadiums in protests again like in 1997.

They certainly shouldn’t attempt Stockholm again. As far as Olympics hosting goes, they’re obviously in the ‘gone forever, don’t even try’ pile. From what you’re saying, it sounds like the best option for everyone would be a binational Trondheim/Are/Östersund/Lillehammer bid. Just not sure that’d get off the ground in Norway since they could easily host everything alone in Oslo & Lillehammer. 

On 6/24/2019 at 4:18 PM, thatsnotmypuppy said:

Not exactly a step forward the IOC should be proud of making. Unless CONI get Torino involved it's another expensive Games.

IMO as the costs of building two new ice hockey arenas (with no planned legacies) along with a new speed skating oval and extensive renovations to the Cortina sliding track are revealed I suspect CONI will try to get Torino back on board. As the plans stand right now, Milan is looking at a hefty price tag with a shaky legacy (I do think renovating the sliding track is a good move as without it Italy lacks a sliding track for their sliding team not to mention I highly doubt using the nearby track in St. Moritz would go over with a local population that has been rather hostile to Olympic bids recently).  The WOGs are practically on life support and the last thing the IOC needs is another WOGs that goes over budget or is left with white elephants. 

On 7/7/2019 at 4:12 PM, stryker said:

IMO as the costs of building two new ice hockey arenas (with no planned legacies) along with a new speed skating oval and extensive renovations to the Cortina sliding track are revealed I suspect CONI will try to get Torino back on board. As the plans stand right now, Milan is looking at a hefty price tag with a shaky legacy (I do think renovating the sliding track is a good move as without it Italy lacks a sliding track for their sliding team not to mention I highly doubt using the nearby track in St. Moritz would go over with a local population that has been rather hostile to Olympic bids recently).  The WOGs are practically on life support and the last thing the IOC needs is another WOGs that goes over budget or is left with white elephants. 

Yep. At least things in Torino came on good shape. And for the distances it can perfectly work. 

Although mayor Chiara Appendino is currently facing investigations, her image works better and she always have the incompetence of Roma's Virginia Raggi as lifeguard.