Breaking: Milan-Cortina Wins 2026 Olympic And Paralympic Winter Games Bid

GBModerator

Reporting From Lausanne, Switzerland – Italy’s Milan-Cortina Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games bid has been elected by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to host the world’s biggest winter sports event in 2026. The vote, held during the 134th IOC Session being held at the SwissTech Convention Center in Lausanne, Switzerland, put the regional Italian project ahead […]

The post Breaking: Milan-Cortina Wins 2022 Olympic And Paralympic Winter Games Bid appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

• GBModerator changed the title to Breaking: Milan-Cortina Wins 2026 Olympic And Paralympic Winter Games Bid

yup, frankly the safer (and right) vote one.  Italy was a late hero to the race, the exact hero that the IOC needed.  This is exactly the bid that was needed to get more of Europe on board if it goes well.  If it doesnt go well financially however........  

Italy will have sucked up the pride and ate the overruns in cost, I dont think Sweden and their pie in the sky shocking underbid would have done that however.

The problem with these spread-out bids in so many different jurisdictions is that come the next rounds or 2 of elections, if the current admins are voted out, will the succeeding admin and coucnilors extend the same degree of cooperation to the effort that the present set of mayors have agreed to?  There are so many moving parts to it now; you have to have so many Plans B and C.  That's why it was/is more ideal to just hold one jurisdiction/political entity as the anchor in such a spread-out enterprise.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

15 minutes ago, mountainboarder_530@yahoo. said:

yup, frankly the safer (and right) vote one.  Italy was a late hero to the race, the exact hero that the IOC needed.  This is exactly the bid that was needed to get more of Europe on board if it goes well.  If it doesnt go well financially however........  

Italy will have sucked up the pride and ate the overruns in cost, I dont think Sweden and their pie in the sky shocking underbid would have done that however.

"This is exactly the bid the IOC needs.. unless it's not"

it was the better option and it's good for the IOC to have a Winter Olympics in Europe again.  But only time will tell if this paves the way for anything else in the future for Europe.  I said it the other day that we over-play that narrative too much.  IMO, it's probably neither here nor there what it means for the future which bid was selected today, and we won't know the effects at least for another few years

24 minutes ago, FYI said:

It was Milan’s extravagant shopping that won the day! ^_^

And boy, AA must be stewing in his own juices, cuz he got yet another one WRONG! :lol:

I was tempted to post a comment here, but not worth it.  But it anyone wants to see want the polar opposite of 20/20 hindsight is..

There's only one story here and it's not a horse race

• Like 1

Well, I'm looking forward to Milan 2026. I would have liked Stockholm to win but there's always 2030 or 2034.

(As I predicted here)an easy win for Milan. This was a no brainer for the IOC- sensible risk management of a major decision. Stockholm had questionable public support, questionable political support at all levels and an untried multi country complication.

Would love Sweden to host, but it will need a more polished bid to achieve success.

4 hours ago, PikyoK said:

Well, I'm looking forward to Milan 2026. I would have liked Stockholm to win but there's always 2030 or 2034.

After today, something tells me that the Swedes won’t be back anytime soon. This last Swedish effort was tepid at best anyway (& very last minute, politically speaking), & it was obviously not enough, even for a winter sports country that’s never hosted the Winter Olympics before & who’s had several failed previous bids as well. None of that mattered to the IOC today, & I’m sure that the Swedes will remember that for quite a while yet. But of course, the SOK could still be glutton for punishment, so who knows. :unsure:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FYI said:

After today, something tells me that the Swedes won’t be back anytime soon. This last Swedish effort was tepid at best anyway (& very last minute, politically speaking), & it was obviously not enough, even for a winter sports country that’s never hosted the Winter Olympics before & who’s had several failed previous bids as well. None of that mattered to the IOC today, & I’m sure that the Swedes will remember that for quite a while yet. But of course, the SOK could still be glutton for punishment, so who knows. :unsure:

Well, according to the Stockholm Åre 2026 website, the team 'will return to Sweden and reflect on this result – whilst taking the positive collaborative forces with us to other future sports initiatives. We will come back in due time to the issue of future bids'. This could mean that they may bid for future Summer or Winter Olympic bids. I hope they are successful in the next Olympic bid soon.

Stockholm’s bid was far from perfect, but Milan’s not really rock solid either, especially in view of Italian govt hazardous policies.

If the IOC rather gives the benefit of doubt to Italy and shuns the Swedes even now, I wouldn’t come back in their place.

1 hour ago, FYI said:

After they pulled out of the 2022 running, what were the odds that they would get to this point with another bid?  Clearly not that good.  There were still serious doubts about them only a few months ago.  Yet they made it til the better end and managed to get more than 40% of the vote.  At this point, obviously that counts for nothing, but similar to when Almaty lost for 2022 (even though this wasn't as close as that one), it's not like they resoundingly got rejected.  Several failed previous bids didn't stop them this time.  They don't strike me as reacting to this like many assumed Paris would if they didn't get 2024.

Sweden will be back sooner rather than later, IMO.  Probably not for 2030 given the potential competition.  A lot of things were working against them this time around.  Could be that a few years down the road, circumstances are more favorable (i.e. local and national government that is more favorable towards the bid and doesn't jump on board so late in the game).  At which point, perhaps they dust themselves off and try for it again.

Of course, there is one other "possibility".. is it too late for a double award?  Milan-Cortina now has 2026, so forgo the 2030 bids and give it to Stockholm?  Less losers that way!!  :D:PB):ph34r: 

Well, tbh, the Italian political spectrum has been a full mess for the center-right after "Le mani pulite" of 1992, which become the entrance of il Divo Berlusconi and the long marriage of populist-nationalist parties like Fratelli d'Italia and La Lega in the mainstream audience (And still we got another WOG, three European summits and other events). That door was opened way back.

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

Several failed previous bids didn't stop them this time. They don't strike me as reacting to this like many assumed Paris would if they didn't get 2024.

We won’t know that about Paris, will we, BCUZ :P they did afterall get 2024. However, Paris did WAIT several years to try again for 2024 after their 2012 defeat against London. And prior to that, Paris waited two decades to try for 2012 after their 1992 defeat. And Sweden waited almost just as long when they tried again (& pulled out anyway) for 2022 after their last Olympic bid defeat almost two decades prior to that. 

So will Sweden be back? Probably so (never said that they wouldn’t be). But that likelihood is not at all that promising in the near-term after today, considering their bid history (or lack thereof in this case). 

Sweden will be back sooner rather than later, IMO.  Probably not for 2030 given the potential competition.  A lot of things were working against them this time around.  

No kidding. Is that hindsight working again? Well, 2030 would be “sooner” rather than later, wouldn’t it, but you pretty much are saying that you don’t expect them that soon either. So what’s the argument then. :rolleyes: BCUZ :D I can then concur with that. 

But in IMO, I’d say moreso for 2038 at least, when SLC & Sapporo are out of the way, you know that “potential competition” & all. Especially when Sweden has lost to Japan & the U.S. before.

Of course, there is one other "possibility".. is it too late for a double award?  Milan-Cortina now has 2026, so forgo the 2030 bids and give it to Stockholm?  Less losers that way!!  :D:PB):ph34r: 

You never know with these unpredictable IOC types (& feisty Godzilla, I mean Gunilla)! A 2030 deal could still be in the works!! And if not Stockholm, there’s always still SLC (or even Sapporo)!!! :P:rolleyes:

4 hours ago, PikyoK said:

This could mean that they may bid for future Summer or Winter Olympic bids. I hope they are successful in the next Olympic bid soon.

Well, to play the role of my favorite Devil’s advocate around here, it “could” mean that. But then again, it also “could not” mean that. 

The ship for a Summer Olympics in Sweden has long sailed. That last chance was when they bid for the 2004 Summer Olympics 22 years ago (which the Swedes weren’t fans of [to say the least] back then either). If the Swedes balk at the Winter Olympics now, which are a third of the size & expense of their summer counterpart, then another Summer Olympic bid ain’t happening. I can see another winter attempt though, but not again until a couple of more bid cycles at least.

I can see a scenario where Sweden choose to go down a peg & get the Youth Olympics for Östersund/Åre, & that’s a springboard for another go at the big Olympics for Stockholm or Gothenburg. But since the IOC will surely be wanting to get the Winter YOGs out of Europe at some point soon, it’ll be a while before they can even do part 1. We’d probably be looking at the 40s or even 50s before Sweden hosts the big one if they do that. 

13 minutes ago, yoshi said:

I can see a scenario where Sweden choose to go down a peg & get the Youth Olympics for Östersund/Åre, & that’s a springboard for another go at the big Olympics for Stockholm or Gothenburg. But since the IOC will surely be wanting to get the Winter YOGs out of Europe at some point soon, it’ll be a while before they can even do part 1. We’d probably be looking at the 40s or even 50s before Sweden hosts the big one if they do that. 

For the Youth Winter Games Sofia Bulgaria looks to be the strongest bid, Harbin China is interested in a Youth Winter Games so they might get the 2028 Winter Games if Lake Placid makes a bid for 2032 it could be until 2036 until Sweden host a Youth Winter Olympic Games.  

7 hours ago, FYI said:

We won’t know that about Paris, will we, BCUZ :P they did afterall get 2024. However, Paris did WAIT several years to try again for 2024 after their 2012 defeat against London. And prior to that, Paris waited two decades to try for 2012 after their 1992 defeat. And Sweden waited almost just as long when they tried again (& pulled out anyway) for 2022 after their last Olympic bid defeat almost two decades prior to that. 

So will Sweden be back? Probably so (never said that they wouldn’t be). But that likelihood is not at all that promising in the near-term after today, considering their bid history (or lack thereof in this case).

Bid history is overrated in terms of predicting an NOC's future intentions.  It's minutiae we tend to put too much stock into.  Case in point with Paris.  Look at their history.

The reason they didn't bid for a while after 1992 wasn't that they were so devastated by the loss.  After Albertville got the `92 Winter Olympics, what were the odds Paris was going to get a Summer Olympics following that?  They come back 16 years later (don't forget their 2008 bid) when circumstances were a little more favorable and then followed that up by returning for the next cycle.  After losing 2012, it's a similar scenario.  What were the odds of Paris being chosen on the heels of London?  So they waited.

With Sweden.. whether or not they wait to try again has little to do with their history.  Or "that the Swedes will remember that for quite a while yet" as if they having been rejected so many times over game them any currency here.  They'll bid again when they feel the timing is right.  Again, we agree that probably won't happen until some of the competition clears out.  Depends on one's definition of "anytime soon"

8 hours ago, FYI said:

You never know with these unpredictable IOC types (& feisty Godzilla, I mean Gunilla)! A 2030 deal could still be in the works!! And if not Stockholm, there’s always still SLC (or even Sapporo)!!! :P:rolleyes:

So in other words.. not a double.  A completely separate and distinct thing having nothing to do with this.  Thanks for clarifying :D