IOC Vice President Hints 2032 Olympic Games Could Be Awarded In 2020, And To Australia

GBModerator

International Olympic Committee (IOC) Vice President John Coates hinted Thursday that the 2032 Olympic Games could be awarded as early as next year, in 2020 – and he’s pushing for Brisbane in Australia to be named host. “The election by the IOC of the host for the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games would normally be […]

The post IOC Vice President Hints 2032 Olympic Games Could Be Awarded In 2020, And To Australia appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

So we really are seeing the end of the Olympic bidding process. Probably for the best in terms of the long-term health of the Movement, when you see the legacies of over-promising around the world. And if Coates is right (obviously there’s the caveat that he is Australian) there’s one thing for sure - Australia will be great hosts, they always are. I imagine this’ll mean Salt Lake 2030 will be confirmed at the same session if they get official quickly enough. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, yoshi said:

So we really are seeing the end of the Olympic bidding process. Probably for the best in terms of the long-term health of the Movement, when you see the legacies of over-promising around the world. And if Coates is right (obviously there’s the caveat that he is Australian) there’s one thing for sure - Australia will be great hosts, they always are. I imagine this’ll mean Salt Lake 2030 will be confirmed at the same session if they get official quickly enough. 

That's a pretty darn big caveat right there.  So I wouldn't necessarily put all that much behind this story.

Let's not over-react to something like this and read it as "OMG, THIS THING THEY SAID MIGHT BE HAPPENING IS CLEARLY DEFINITELY HAPPENING!" let alone to tie it to something else.  And Australia probably would be a great host, but how would that work out for the city of Brisbane?  Does this make sense for them and is it a smart move for the city.  I'm skeptical on that one.

So do those people who were telling me that a Brisbane/South East Queensland would never happen and that it’d be Melbourne bidding for 2032 still want to stand by that? 

People kept going on and on about how the IOC would concede the weather time frame to allow Melbourne to bid and kept ignoring the Brisbane bid. Well it’s looking more and more real now. 

I still dont think Brisbane/SEQ will win but it’s looking like they are in the running. Apparently other names in the ring currently are Jakarta, Buenos Aires, India and Germany. 

I wouldn't say so. We're talking about a country which is both cosmopolitan and absolutely passionate about sport and a region which offers near-to-perfect climate conditions in July/August. I have no doubt SEQ would put on an awesome Olympics and would certainly not be a "huge let down" for the event.

Whether such a massive investment in sports infrastructure would really be that benificial for the city stands on another page, though. Plus, I am concerned linking transport projects to the games might lead to some significant budget overruns.

John Coates has a history of getting over excited and ahead of himself. The IOC would piss a lot of nations off if it secretly started handing out Games hosts with no process at all.

And I find ANY argument about a rich nation like Australia spending too much on sport a joke- it is just a tweaking of priorities. Australia spends 40 billion+ a year on defence for example (we spend a lot for our population size), so in crude terms say 40 billion x 12 years to the Games= 480 billion.....The Games might cost say 12 billion over that time, that's 2.5 percent of the defence budget. Totally unnoticeable over that time frame.

On 6/14/2019 at 11:43 AM, Olympic Fan Darcy said:

So do those people who were telling me that a Brisbane/South East Queensland would never happen and that it’d be Melbourne bidding for 2032 still want to stand by that? 

People kept going on and on about how the IOC would concede the weather time frame to allow Melbourne to bid and kept ignoring the Brisbane bid. Well it’s looking more and more real now. 

I still dont think Brisbane/SEQ will win but it’s looking like they are in the running. Apparently other names in the ring currently are Jakarta, Buenos Aires, India and Germany. 

Never said it will be Melbourne - just said it should be Melbourne.  There is no justification for the money needed for Brisbane to be "compliant" being spent on an Olympics.

I think they could give the games out 9 years from the hosting the games so in 2021 the 2030 Winter Games will be picked and in 2023 the 2032 games will be picked.

If Milan Italy lose on Monday, Rome Italy could make a bid for the 2032 Summer Games with Matteo Salvini will most likely be the Prime Minister by then to take the bigger event the anti Olympic Games Mayor looks to be going by then,  Viktor Orban could make a bid for Budapest Hungary there are a few places which could make Brisbane have a run for it's money. 

In Asia their will be a likely Shanghai China and Jakarta Indonesia bid as well.

I guess the line to interpret this note is searching the middle ground. Sure John Coates is Aussie, so there must be some bias and has history of over excited and ahead of himself. On the other hand, as we saw in the recent development of the next decade's cities hosts, we saw the current tendency of the IOC of choosing "safe" countries (Japan-China-France-Italy-USA). So, it's not that wild to think Bach is covering bases with Australia. Of course that doesn't mean Australia will be chosen at 2020, but that would help to develop a proper campaign and create a proper development for Brisbane/Gold Coast for 2032/2036 (Depending if Germany/Spain will bid).