Paris 2024 ceremonies

• 2 weeks later...

/\/\  That's too spread-out and the history thing is too hackneyed.  If anything, the host nation does it in 10 mins at OC.  And more than the history of France, it will be more the IOC's history with de Coubertin and Paris' 3rd time hosting around.  I'm wondering how much the Vangelis CHARIOTS OF FIRE theme will feature . . . or they would want to put a whole new sound to their show? 

2 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Currently in Vietnam, and have been witnessing the violence of France's colonial past..and the vicious ferocity of her attempt to keep her Empire well into the 1950s.. .will not want to highlight that!

Why would they single out Vietnam . . . or . . . Algeria, Morocco, Napoleon's rape of Egypt.  Of course, that's NOT going to be touched!   :blink:  I doubt they would even include the Reign of Terror of their own Revolution.  :rolleyes:

I guess they will choose something like London did. Highlighting specific aspects of France:

-Gauls (Maybe Asterix and Obelix?)

-Declaration of the rights of Man and Citizen as reference to Olympic spirit and human rights.

-Moulin Rouge! spectacle

-Allegories of cinema and music (Highlighting Édith Piaf with "La Vie en Rose")

-Pierre de Coubertain hommage

BTW, which French current film director could make the opening ceremony? Roman Polanski is avoided

-Michel Hazanavicius (OSS 117 films, The Artist)

-Marjane Satrapi (Persepolis)

-Jacques Audiard (A Prophet, Rust and Bone)

-Xavier Dolan -I know he's Quebecker, but he has career in France- (Mommy, Heartbreakers)

-Houda Benyamina (Divines, Netflix's "The Eddy")

-François Ozon (8 Femmes, Frantz)

-Jean-Pierre Jeunet (Amélie, Aliens 4)

-Jean- François Richet (Mesrine)

-Guillaume Canet (Rock "n" Roll, Tell No One)