Which one will win and what is the vote difference?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The odd thing is that the big winter IFs (FIS, IBSF, IBU) are run by northern Europeans who may want to see their home countries host someday. (This fact makes it even odder that the Swedes did not re

I have to concur. The Swedes were so last minute on this, as if they were pushed/forced into this whole thing from all the proponents, & I wonder how much Gunilla had her hands on this, since she

Well, your “giving the middle finger” & “so much for the ‘New Norm’ “ comments certainly give that impression, though. Not to mention your “but as a matter some local politician’s pride & stub

Well, it’s not what I’d have voted for, but I’m not surprised. Sounds like as much as they’ve opened up to more decentralised Games, going fully binational is still a step too far - at least all the while there’s a viable alternative.

Stockholm have done a very good service in showing a Northern European bid can stay the course, & if they came close in the vote (& the IOC don’t start getting complacent again), Norway should be encouraged for 30/34. 

1 minute ago, yoshi said:

Well, it’s not what I’d have voted for, but I’m not surprised. Sounds like as much as they’ve opened up to more decentralised Games, going fully binational is still a step too far - at least all the while there’s a viable alternative.

Stockholm have done a very good service in showing a Northern European bid can stay the course, & if they came close in the vote (& the IOC don’t start getting complacent again), Norway should be encouraged for 30/34. 

Norway honestly has to be happy about this.. if Sweden got an Olympics, it might push them off further into the future.  This makes it much easier for them to land an Olympics in the short term.

2 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Stockholm Sweden should have went with the 2022 Bid plan not this wide spread binational plan with a country over the seas like Latvia and Fulan would have been a nice compact games with a few events in Are.

It’s a very difficult decision for Norway on whether to go for 30. On one hand, it’s a great chance, the dual-centric concept now has precedent, & it’d be a great opportunity for the IOC to prove it’s changed by choosing the country that’s symbolic of the old hubris. 

Then again, it’d be 2 in a row for Europe, when there’ll probably be an alternative in SLC. Leave it for 34 & there’s much more chance for Europe if 30 is in America. 

Just now, yoshi said:

It’s a very difficult decision for Norway on whether to go for 30. On one hand, it’s a great chance, the dual-centric concept now has precedent, & it’d be a great opportunity for the IOC to prove it’s changed by choosing the country that’s symbolic of the old hubris. 

Then again, it’d be 2 in a row for Europe, when there’ll probably be an alternative in SLC. Leave it for 34 & there’s much more chance for Europe if 30 is in America. 

Agreed.  Let Sapporo and Salt Lake battle it out for 2030.  Come back for 2034 and take their chances then

14 minutes ago, Barcelona_'92 said:

I am too.  Once again, the IOC talks about Agenda 2020 but goes with the bid that will have much higher costs.  I guess we’ll never know what the deciding factors were but good luck getting Sweden to try again after this.

The deciding factors were the lack of financial contributions from governments, the inadequate venue arrangements and the huge logistical issues.

For anyone who has every actually worked at an Olympics these are huge and obvious concerns. When I volunteered at Vancouver 2010 there were people getting home to Langley at 4:00 AM after volunteering at Whistler that day. I can't imagine how Swedish volunteers from places like Malmo who were assigned to work at Are would manage it.

Edited by Nacre
15 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Norway honestly has to be happy about this.. if Sweden got an Olympics, it might push them off further into the future.  This makes it much easier for them to land an Olympics in the short term.

Assuming that Norway actually wants to host the Olympics, of course. 

Just now, Nacre said:

Assuming that Norway actually wants to host the Olympics, of course. 

Which they've indicated they do.  Whether they still do a few years from now remains a question, although especially with this spread out Italian Olympics, it might re-ignite interest from Oslo rather than trying to base it around Lillehammer.

Well, more than half of the IOC members prefer a one-country bid and where they are WILDLY wanted.  The Stockholm bid just could not even get early, enthusiastic unanimity from their own ranks.  Plus. maybe it's a small thing, but I never saw any support numbers for Latvia, their bid's junior partner.  So again, the whole Swedish bid was sketchy.   The whole Swedish effort reeked of like them covering their nose while semi-wanting to host the Games.  Too bad.

Now, I wonder if they will also move the 2021 World Figure Skating Championships from Stockholm? 

Just now, baron-pierreIV said:

Well, more than half of the IOC members prefer a one-country bid and where they are WILDLY wanted.  The Stockholm bid just could not even get early, enthusiastic unanimity from their own ranks.  Plus. maybe it's a small thing, but I never saw any support numbers for Latvia, their bid's junior partner.  So again, the whole Swedish bid was sketchy.   The whole Swedish effort reeked of like them covering their nose while semi-wanting to host the Games.  Too bad.

Now, I wonder if they will also move the 2021 World Figure Skating Championships from Stockholm? 

They won't.  This won't change that.  At all

4 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

They won't.  This won't change that.  At all

WHy not?  This IOC Session was originally slated for Milan.  A lot of these Olympic things are happening in parallel situations so it would NOT be a erratic move for the 2021 host to change.  

8 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

We will see how many people in Italy truly want the Games once they see how much all of this is going to cost.  Multiple arenas need to be built, an old sliding track needs significant updates, and everything else that goes along with hosting - it’s going to be quite the price tag.

2 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

WHy not?  This IOC Session was originally slated for Milan.  A lot of these Olympic things are happening in parallel situations so it would NOT be a erratic move for the 2021 host to change.  

Yes baron.. it would be an extremely erratic move for the host to change.  Why would it change?  And who is the "they" that would change it?

8 minutes ago, Barcelona_'92 said:

We will see how many people in Italy truly want the Games once they see how much all of this is going to cost.  Multiple arenas need to be built, an old sliding track needs significant updates, and everything else that goes along with hosting - it’s going to be quite the price tag.

I think most of the Italians who follow this thing, already know.  The bid enjoys an 83% public support.  That's what won it for Italy + Stockholm's ditzy, rebel mayor lost ii for her city when she announced that she would not sign the Host City Contract.  What kind of mayor would that be to entrust your games to? 

Edited by baron-pierreIV
5 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Yes baron.. it would be an extremely erratic move for the host to change.  Why would it change?  And who is the "they" that would change it?

Well, the Swedish FS Federation may find some excuse to shuck off the commitment.  (I guess I'm hoping that the new Chase Center in SF can swoop in and stage those Champs should Stockholm chicken out.)  

Well, that’s a significant margin! So much for a “close” vote. ^_^

I bet what won it for Milan were all the IOC’s members wives who told them that the shopping there would be much better than in Stockholm! :lol: