GBModerator

IOC Proposes Opening Olympic Bids To Multiple Cities, Regions or Countries As Part Of Sweeping Changes

Future Olympic bids could be formed among multiple cities, regions or countries – and not just a single city – if the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Session approves the proposal at a meeting next month. The IOC Executive Board Wednesday heard the first report from a five-member working group that was formed in March to […]

The post IOC Proposes Opening Olympic Bids To Multiple Cities, Regions or Countries As Part Of Sweeping Changes appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

Sounds a lot like an invitation to both SE Queensland & the Rhein-Ruhr. No mention of multiple country involvement though, so does this maybe suggest Milan is now the IOC’s favourite?

Yes, multiple countries IS mentioned:  

• “Host” does not necessarily refer to a single city, but can also refer to 
    multiple cities/regions/countries

Oh sorry, I need to get myself some new eyes :P A genuinely radical step for once - shame it had to be forced on them but if they act on this, it’s a big step towards a manageable Olympics. Especially the Winter games. 

It had to be done, and I'm glad they've finally came to their senses. Hopefully this will raise the interest of cities into pulling future bids.

Also this might be helpful for Stockholm/Are bid considering they want to alleviate costs by hosting bobsleigh/luge in Latvia (with the later already agreeing and compromising to the plan).

That Milan is bidding as a regional concept and Stockholm is including another country, the cat is already out of the bag on this one.  Has no bearing on the 2026 bids, but we'll see what it means for the future.

However.. we saw elsewhere that the IOC wants to make sure these bids stay cohesive.  So while this is an invitation and could encourage more bidding, it's not a concept that necessarily lends itself to a winning bid if a more suitable option is out there.

• Like 1

Do you see it as the Olympic in the future will be spread out on a whole country, like the football world cup and other events? Or will et only be for a few sports that can fit in, in other towns/places. 

9 hours ago, Hansfromdenmark said:

Do you see it as the Olympic in the future will be spread out on a whole country, like the football world cup and other events? Or will et only be for a few sports that can fit in, in other towns/places. 

I don't see it.  The Olympics are a different type of event than a World Cup.  They're not meant to be spread all over the place the same way a World Cup is meant to touch as much of the country as possible.  We may some more of what's being offered for 2026 where there are satellite locations from the main host city, but I doubt it will ever be held over an entire country so long as there are bidders holding to the more traditional formula of a main host city.

On 5/29/2019 at 11:50 PM, Hansfromdenmark said:

I think it depends. I do think you could possibly see country-wide bids for the WOGs from smaller countries such as Switzerland and Austria or farming out the more sport-specific venues like Stockholm has done with the sliding events and what Calgary was prepared to do by holding ski jumping in Whistler. I posted a while back that if the IOC ever really wanted to go to Africa for a SOGs the only way it would work budget wise and venue wise would be for a country-wide bid from along the likes of South Africa or Morocco. 

All that said, if a compact bid presents itself as economically viable (or a dictatorship decides to splurge on the Olympics) then I think the IOC would choose those options over a regional bid. It's the main reason I see Salt Lake City as a very heavy favorite to host the WOGs in 2030.