thatsnotmypuppy

Tokyo Olympic Tickets thread

Annoyingly enough the European CoSport live ticket sale still has tickets to the handball matches I tried to get in the ballot.

With the proximity and huge tourism movements between Australia and Japan I was hoping we would get a big allocation like we did for Beijing. Apparently we did not - we got the smallest since Athens.

just saw a tweet tickets added on cosport US but not Australia

13 new #OlympicTickets available on CoSport USA: BK303B,BKB23C,BKB28C,GAR11C,HBL31B,HOC42B,RUG12C,TEN09C,TTE29C,VBV06C,VBV08C,VBV19C,VBV28C Best sessions probably gone by now.

CoSport Australia had semi final table tennis tickets yesterday.  They are coming on in dribs and drabs.

Actually I take that back - CoSport currently have heaps of tickets...

Edited by thatsnotmypuppy

yep just checked it this morning on the off chance. still tickets for quite a few sports in Basketball and gymnastics.

I got a beach volleyball ticket.

Stupidly whenever I try to add a ticket to my cart it states there are 0 tickets left (despite it still being available). Also once you get a ticket in the cart you can't do anything else as the timer clock for your session blocks the add ticket button.  Genius CoSport. I officially 100% fuckking give up.

try making the screen smaller have had issue like that on a different website.

FYI For US some random tickets for water polo, handball, hockey, weightlifting,  and wrestling are now available at Cosport. I got a hockey and sailing ticket from the drop. 

Rant that only you guys will understand: I'm meeting up with some friends in Tokyo, one of whom is a first-timer. He read a news article that said there is huge demand for tickets in Japan, so we are DOOMED. We went thought the cosport offering and only got tickets for one event, so we are DOOMED. Cosport had a second round and it took three hours to get online and all tickets were sold out, so you guessed it, we are DOOMED. 

I've tried to explain how the process has worked (though I have to caveat by saying this is how it has worked in the past and I can't promise it will be the same for 2020) and there is zero reason to panic. He's not buying it. Sheesh. 

Just noticed a bunch more tickets showing up on the US Cosport site. Looks like they are just going to dribble things out for a while. 

On 7/23/2019 at 1:36 AM, scooter133 said:

Has anybody used this website? Does it work?

https://www.os-site-tracker.com/

Hi Guys,

Saw you mentioned this website, which is actually my website! A little more info about the website: i started it 8 years ago for the London Olympics and it was a big succes. For Rio less people were interested but it was also a succes. For Tokyo the demand for tickets is much higher and therefore the interest in my website too. I can say that during the last weeks a lot of people were able to buy tickets from Cosport USA, Cosport Australia, Cosport EU and a lot of other EU ATR'S like DerTour, Eventeam, Sunweb, Vietentours and TeamGB thanks to my website. In short what it does:

As you've guys seen and mentioned tickets are often dropped without announcement, my website monitors these drops and as soon as new tickets get available it sends out an email to all registered users within 2 minutes of the drop. If you have any questions feel free to ask. If you first want to see some references, have a look at my twitter timeline, lot's of people with succes over there. https://twitter.com/Kevin_Plsm

I have signed up cost me about AU$25 so a good investment if i can get a few more tickets to my must see list. Will let you all know when i get my first email about new tickets.

While I am an Olympic nerd, I am trying to go to Tokyo 2020, which will be my first ever Olympics. I put in an order request through CoSport (American) and naturally didn't get it, and the sports are still all sold out. But after reading through this thread, I'm getting the impression that some tickets may open up later? And that I shouldn't be too concerned about landing tickets? Or should I take the post a few above mine as completely serious, with me being "doomed"?

Also, if you do say I have a chance of landing tickets. what do I do in regards to accommodations and flights? Should I start trying to book a place to stay now, and flights in 3-5 months, and just chance the tickets? Or should I wait until I've secured some tickets to book accommodations? Would any of your recommend booking refundable accommodations in this case? Sorry for so many questions, again, this would be my first ever Olympics ... I'm really interested in the Opening Ceremony, Basketball, and both gendered Volleyball, Hockey, Football (Soccer), Swimming, and Beach Volleyball, Men's Handball, and Women's Gymnastics. If I can get a few tickets to any of those events, I would be elated :D

You have to ask your self - if I only am able to get a couple of tickets is it worth the expense? Hotels should be coming online now - as are flights so get in now.

It seems a small amounts of tickets were being released off and on - and are being snapped up very quickly.  As far as I know it has been over a week since the last ticket drop.  In your list I have seen Women's handball (I know - not the gender you wanted), Hockey and 3 x 3 Basketball pop up.  There have also been some Table Tennis, Wrestling, Sports Climbing, Golf, Equestrian, Athletics and Synchronised Swimming pop up in Australia's CoSport allocation.  I have not seen any Ceremony tickets at all.

I've often said going to the Olympics is unlike other trips. Usually, you plan out a trip, then decide if you want to go or not. With the Olympics, you decide "I want to go," then fill in whatever details you can get. Are you wiling to take that leap of faith. 

One thing people might not realize is how much of the "Olympic Spirit" does not involve going to events. As much as I love going to events, they can be a real pain. Lots of logistical headaches, lots of security to deal with, lots of waiting around. Many times is better to watch an event as a bar or "live site" than at the event itself. And, yes, watching in a bar in the host city is different that watching at home. 

Of course, you do want to go to some events. Of the events you list, Opening Ceremony tickets are very hard to come by. You might get them, but certainly don't count on it. Basketball prelims are usually available at some point, the gold medal match (mens) can be hard. 3x3 basketball tickets keep popping up, so I suspect that will be easier. Hockey is one of the easiest tickets to get. Football is the only sport where I can guarantee you'll be able to get tickets... though no guarantees on the gold medal match. Swimming and Women's gymnastics are some of the tougher tickets to get (and some of the sports that are much better on TV than in person). Beach Volleyball and Men's Handball are usually available. 

As far as planning, the first thing I always focus on in whether to target the first week or the second. That way I can book tickets and travel plans independently. Think about which events you most want to try for, and then look at the schedule to see when they are held. 

Lots of accommodations will have minimum stays, required deposits with no refunds. Always nice if you can book someplace that will be refundable, but don't count on it. As I said, you basically need to commit and just go for it. Mainstream hotels will either be completely book, or outrageously expensive. If you want to stay in one of those, either pay the $$$ or wait until the last month or so when they will inevitably free up rooms. The freeing of rooms happens every olympics, but I've never had the guts to wait. I always target non-traditional housing - hostels, dorms, airbnb, etc. Tokyo offers up another option in "businessman" hotels. Finally, there is always the operation of booking something out of town and commuting in. Tokyo has incredible train options for that. 

Plane tickets is usually the easiest thing to book. Mainstream airlines open up about 330 days ahead of time. Unlike hotels, they don't jack prices sky-high. Just don't count on a deal. 

Best of luck. 

• Like 2

On 8/13/2019 at 5:06 PM, zekekelso said:

I've often said going to the Olympics is unlike other trips. Usually, you plan out a trip, then decide if you want to go or not. With the Olympics, you decide "I want to go," then fill in whatever details you can get. Are you wiling to take that leap of faith. 

One thing people might not realize is how much of the "Olympic Spirit" does not involve going to events. As much as I love going to events, they can be a real pain. Lots of logistical headaches, lots of security to deal with, lots of waiting around. Many times is better to watch an event as a bar or "live site" than at the event itself. And, yes, watching in a bar in the host city is different that watching at home. 

Of course, you do want to go to some events. Of the events you list, Opening Ceremony tickets are very hard to come by. You might get them, but certainly don't count on it. Basketball prelims are usually available at some point, the gold medal match (mens) can be hard. 3x3 basketball tickets keep popping up, so I suspect that will be easier. Hockey is one of the easiest tickets to get. Football is the only sport where I can guarantee you'll be able to get tickets... though no guarantees on the gold medal match. Swimming and Women's gymnastics are some of the tougher tickets to get (and some of the sports that are much better on TV than in person). Beach Volleyball and Men's Handball are usually available. 

As far as planning, the first thing I always focus on in whether to target the first week or the second. That way I can book tickets and travel plans independently. Think about which events you most want to try for, and then look at the schedule to see when they are held. 

Lots of accommodations will have minimum stays, required deposits with no refunds. Always nice if you can book someplace that will be refundable, but don't count on it. As I said, you basically need to commit and just go for it. Mainstream hotels will either be completely book, or outrageously expensive. If you want to stay in one of those, either pay the $$$ or wait until the last month or so when they will inevitably free up rooms. The freeing of rooms happens every olympics, but I've never had the guts to wait. I always target non-traditional housing - hostels, dorms, airbnb, etc. Tokyo offers up another option in "businessman" hotels. Finally, there is always the operation of booking something out of town and commuting in. Tokyo has incredible train options for that. 

Plane tickets is usually the easiest thing to book. Mainstream airlines open up about 330 days ahead of time. Unlike hotels, they don't jack prices sky-high. Just don't count on a deal. 

Best of luck. 

This was very good advice, it is definitely something I'm going to think long and hard about. I really really really want to go, and I have the money for it, so I may be ready to take that leap of faith. Any advice on how to start trying to find those tickets though other than just checking CoSport on and off, day in and day out? I tried to find some hockey tickets last night, but they were also sold. Football will be nice too - the US Women's team will certainly be there, but the men are making a good push as well to go. I would certainly love to go to as many events as possible. 

However, you made a good point about "Olympic Spirit". It would be so nice to meet other fans from around the globe at different Fan Zones, and maybe even do some pin exchanging. that's something I hadn't thought much about. Plus, I've never even been to Japan, so I would want to do some sightseeing as well. So I would be okay (elated actually) if I went, saw some events, hopefully most involving Team USA, and still got to experience that Olympic Spirit and what Tokyo has to offer.

Other sources? For a couple recent Olympics somebody has appointed themselves a ticket guru on Twitter, made it a full time hobby to track ticket availability and tweet stuff out. This is especially helpful for people who live in EU countries and often can buy from many countries. I first heard of such people here on gamesbids. Somebody above mentioned reddit... I wouldn't be surprised if there was info there. Personally, I don't bother with other sources (out of laziness and a lack of internet hipness) ... I just check the cosport website almost every day. Takes about 15 seconds. Right before the games I might check out Ebay or Craigslist... but keep in mind there is a lot of ticket fraud out there. I'd only consider buying there under the absolute safest of terms. 

For team sports, most of the time you buy a ticket for "Match G" and you won't know which of the teams is playing until long after you've bought your ticket. You can sometimes make reasonable assumption to narrow things down (US teams tend to be scheduled on times that are good for NBC) and if you buy the gold medal women's basketball match, you're probably going to see Team USA. The one exception is football - especially women's football. You should be safe waiting until the draws are announced and be able to get tickets through the official Japanese site for any Team USA matches. Keep in mind that many of the matches are outside of Tokyo... which could even be a benefit from a tourist standpoint. 

9 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Other sources? For a couple recent Olympics somebody has appointed themselves a ticket guru on Twitter, made it a full time hobby to track ticket availability and tweet stuff out. This is especially helpful for people who live in EU countries and often can buy from many countries. I first heard of such people here on gamesbids. Somebody above mentioned reddit... I wouldn't be surprised if there was info there. Personally, I don't bother with other sources (out of laziness and a lack of internet hipness) ... I just check the cosport website almost every day. Takes about 15 seconds. Right before the games I might check out Ebay or Craigslist... but keep in mind there is a lot of ticket fraud out there. I'd only consider buying there under the absolute safest of terms. 

For team sports, most of the time you buy a ticket for "Match G" and you won't know which of the teams is playing until long after you've bought your ticket. You can sometimes make reasonable assumption to narrow things down (US teams tend to be scheduled on times that are good for NBC) and if you buy the gold medal women's basketball match, you're probably going to see Team USA. The one exception is football - especially women's football. You should be safe waiting until the draws are announced and be able to get tickets through the official Japanese site for any Team USA matches. Keep in mind that many of the matches are outside of Tokyo... which could even be a benefit from a tourist standpoint. 

You say you check the Cosport website everyday. So did you see that yesterday there was new availability? Handball and Weightlifting. Probably not because the tickets were sold out in minutes. Therefore the website i mentioned earlier(and that i created) os-site-tracker.com is a great help.

If you want to buy from someone else through online platforms i would not choose craigslist. Go for stubhub or viagogo, or maybe even ebay. On these platforms sellers have strict delivery terms, so if they do not deliver they might get a fine. Although i would advise waiting with these platforms untill you really see no other options. For now i would still try the official ways as in Cosport of every other ATR.

check out and join a facebook group Tokyo 2020 Olympics Planning they have a google doc going with tickets people want to buy and are selling. They also post ticket updates if any become available plus hotel booking tips and travel tips. Someone mentioned Hotel Mystays had rates and thats how i booked my accommodation.

Twitter #2012tweeps is still a good one to check out lots of UK/Europe people still using it about tickets. People to follow @matt_shoreditch and @volshy who i think in on games bids and where i first heard of ticket swaps at 2012.

Thanks to twitter and #2012tweeps i swapped a water polo ticket for an athletics ticket.

I am a believer of omens, and in the span of 24 hours, my:

• Tokyo 2020 volunteer application was denied
  • My cousin, who married a first-generation American whose parents are from Japan, arrived back from Japan after visiting her cousins-in-law (best way to put it)
  • My cousin told one of the Japanese cousins-in-law that I am an Olympic history nerd and she offered me a room in her home in Yokohama
  • I stumbled upon $670 roundtrip flights to Tokyo from Philadelphia.

So.... I"M GOING! My first ever Olympics! I could not be more excited!

Thanks to everyone who gave me ticket advice, as of right now I still have no tickets. I will continue to check CoSport and the Facebook group, and hopefully something good comes up. But, the hardest part is out of the way, and I am going. Now I am definitely paying attention to this thread on tickets ;)