Tokyo Olympic Tickets thread

Luxury packages for 2020 Games will be sold through a lottery

Well-heeled fans willing to pay high prices for seats at the most popular events at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics will now need luck to punch their tickets.

The Tokyo Organizing Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games announced on Oct. 9 that it will sell official hospitality packages priced at a maximum 6.35 million yen ($59,000) through a lottery system.

The committee initially planned to offer the packages on a first-come, first-served basis.

“We have received more inquiries than we expected. We underestimated the popularity,” said a committee official.

The highest-priced packages offer amenities such as private suites, gourmet dining and fine wines to the most sought-after events.

Buyers of the 6.35-million-yen package can watch the opening and closing ceremonies and competitions such as the men’s 100-meter final at the New National Stadium in central Tokyo over 11 days. Others on offer include a 1.8-million-yen package for the opening and closing ceremonies.

The organizers plan to sell 191 kinds of packages, which include one or combinations of the following events: the opening and closing ceremonies and 16 events at a total of 15 venues.

They expect the number of tickets sold through the hospitality packages to reach about 1 percent of 7.8 million, the number of regular tickets to be available estimated at the time of Tokyo's successful bid to host the 2020 Games.

The deadline for applications to buy the tickets is Oct. 12. Applicants can enter the lottery for the packages at the website: (https://officialhospitality.tokyo2020.org/)

Date:October 10, 2019

News source:The Asahi shimbun

Link to this article:http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201910100052.html

Little bit old news of a few weeks ago,

Tokyo 2020 organizers reveal that 6,900 tickets were bought with fake IDs

Organizers for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics said Friday that about 6,900 tickets sold in the first phase of a domestic lottery in May were bought with fake IDs.

Organizers revealed that some 30,000 of the official IDs required to make a ticket application were created with fake personal information, with 1,200 of those winning the rights to buy tickets for the games, which will take place next year from July 24 to Aug. 9.

The total value of the tickets was about ¥180 million. The tickets will be invalidated with no refunds offered due to being fraudulently purchased.

Organizers believe a specific group orchestrated a plan to create fake IDs in order to secure tickets. They have already consulted with the Metropolitan Police Department. Organizers declined to discuss further details.

Japan residents who want to buy 2020 tickets are first required to register for an official Olympic ID with a name and address. Over 7.7 million had registered as of Friday.

Roughly 3.2 million tickets were sold in the first phase.

An additional ticket lottery closed in August for some 4.16 million residents who came up empty-handed in the initial draw, with about 120,000 winners out of the more than 1.4 million applicants buying around 350,000 of the over 680,000 tickets available so far.

Date:Sep. 27, 2019

News source:The Japan Times

Link to this article:https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/09/27/national/tokyo-2020-organizers-reveal-6900-tickets-bought-fake-ids/#.XZ_631X7TIU

• 4 weeks later...

A lot of olympic tickets were release/dropped today. On Cosport and on Eventeam France! Athletics finals, Diving finals, Hockey finals and much more. Full list of what was released here: https://www.os-site-tracker.com/us/examples?id=8240

Notifications about these ticket drops are sent by our system, os-site-tracker.com. If you sign up you will receive instant emails when tickets become available. Have a look at all the positive reviews on our website and be ready to grab those Olympic tickets!

Tokyo Olympics: Organizers to launch 2nd domestic ticket lottery on Nov. 13

The organizing committee of next summer's Tokyo Games announced Friday that the second phase of the Olympic ticket lottery will be opened to residents of Japan in the early morning on Wednesday.

Over a million tickets are being offered for nearly all the Olympic events, including the opening and closing ceremonies. Applications will be accepted on the official ticketing website until 11:59 a.m. on Nov. 26.

The men's and women's marathons will be excluded from the lottery as organizers are leaning toward not setting up spectator seating following the decision to move the races to Sapporo in the northernmost main island of Hokkaido amid concerns about heat in Japan's capital.

Tickets for boxing, which had been previously been omitted due to issues with the International Boxing Association, will be on sale for the first time.

The results of the lottery will be announced Dec. 18, and winners will have until Jan. 10 to complete their transaction.

The organizers have decreased the number of tickets a single person can win to 18 from the 30 allowed in the first phase held earlier in the year in hopes more people can purchase the tickets.

Tickets for triathlon, marathon swimming and the cross country segment of the equestrian eventing competition will not be sold, because organizers are looking to change the starting times of the competitions in response to the heat.

The first phase of the Olympic ticket lottery was held in May and saw heavy traffic disrupt the official ticketing website. A second-chance window was offered in August for applicants who were unsuccessful in the initial draw.

The organizers had initially planned to begin the second phase of the lottery on Oct. 24 but postponed it, saying at the time "the coordination among concerned parties has not concluded."

News source:The Mainichi

Date:Nov.9,2019

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20191108/p2g/00m/0sp/066000c

• 1 month later...

Well, after Albertville 1992, Lillehammer 1994, SLC 2002, Torino 2006, London 2012, Sochi 2014 and PyeongChang 2018, I am go for Tokyo 2020. I fly to Narita on July 22. My eighth Olympics. Sweet. :)

Edited by hektor

19 hours ago, hektor said:

Well, after Albertville 1992, Lillehammer 1994, SLC 2002, Torino 2006, London 2012, Sochi 2014 and PyeongChang 2018, I am go for Tokyo 2020. I fly to Narita on July 22. My eighth Olympics. Sweet. :)

Being Dutch, get some tickets for women's football! You have one of the best players in the world right now, Miedema, and the best part is, she's very young. She also deserved top 3 in the Balloon d'Or over Alex Morgan (and I'm American). If you haven't already, they'll be a great team to watch! Hell, I want to see them very badly :) I'm hoping Team GB gets a higher FIFA ranking than the Netherlands so there's a chance the USA and the Dutch will be drawn together in the group stages!

On 12/17/2019 at 2:55 PM, anthonyliberatori said:

I'm hoping Team GB gets a higher FIFA ranking than the Netherlands so there's a chance the USA and the Dutch will be drawn together in the group stages!

Although it would seem a mere formality, USA women still have to qualify for Tokyo. And the way the qualifying is set-up, assuming they are first or second in their group, the two CONCACAF Olympic spots comes down to one must-win match in the semi-finals that takes place on Feb.7.  

• 1 month later...

Big ticket dump from CoSport last Thursday.  It was the first time I saw Swimming finals and even Closing Ceremony tickets for sale.  We're at the time when some of the tougher tickets become available.  I think any subsequent CoSport sales, at least up to the time when the Tokyo open sale begins, will be more like this.  I was able to get the Diving and Equestrian tickets I wanted, and fill out my Track (Athletics) tickets.  I'm pretty much done now, except for one real longshot ticket I'd love to get.

• 6 months later...

For Canada it's now with ATPI that we have to deal with instead of Cosport.

I tried to get tickets in their first release last year but got nothing. Disapointed I then decided to skip Tokyo after being at the three last Summer Games.

Three days ago I received a e-mail from ATPI announcing the release of a new batch of tickets.

Having in mind that I will not go to the Tokyo Games; I was curious to see what events were available.

Big surprise seeing almost all Finals sessions available for each sports (except Swimming)

I then decided to finally go to Japan in August 2021 but only for four days having grab :

The three last night of Track and Field (I took category B and C although A was available)

Canoe-Kayak Sprint Final (cat A)

Women 10m Diving Final (cat A)

Women Beach Volleyball Final (cat B, A was not available)

I then booked yesterday an hotel near Tokyo Station for 1300$can for four nights (325$ per night) from where I can reach all the venues in less then 30 minutes

Despite my full agenda I'm able to add three more events (tickets being available for me) : another morning of Canoe-Kayak Finals, Men 10m Diving Final and the Bronze match for Women Volleyball

But I decided to not taking them since I want to have time to visit a little bit Tokyo (Shinjuku, Shibuya, etc...)

However, I am disappointed in one thing :

There are only two events that I have attended in each of my 5 Summer Olympics (1976, 1996, 2008, 2012 and 2016) : both in Athletics  the Men's 110m hurdles and the Women's 800m.

Unfortunately my sequence will be broken because I won't be able to see those two events in Tokyo

Edited by Chateau Petrus
add something

If you are curious ;

The name of the hotel is Sotetsu Fresa Inn Tokyo Kyobashi

600m walking distance to Tokyo Train Station (my exit from the Narita Airport Express train journey)

230m walking distance to Takaracho Station on Akasuka Line (needed for quickly reach Athletics and Beach Volleyball venues)

600m walking distance to Ginza-Ichtome Station on Yurakacho Line (needed for quickly reach Diving and Canoe-Kayak venues)

325$Can is less than 250$US

Edited by Chateau Petrus
add

On 8/23/2020 at 8:07 PM, Chateau Petrus said:

For Canada it's now with ATPI that we have to deal with instead of Cosport.

I tried to get tickets in their first release last year but got nothing. Disapointed I then decided to skip Tokyo after being at the three last Summer Games.

Three days ago I received a e-mail from ATPI announcing the release of a new batch of tickets.

Having in mind that I will not go to the Tokyo Games; I was curious to see what events were available.

Big surprise seeing almost all Finals sessions available for each sports (except Swimming)

I then decided to finally go to Japan in August 2021 but only for four days having grab :

The three last night of Track and Field (I took category B and C although A was available)

Canoe-Kayak Sprint Final (cat A)

Women 10m Diving Final (cat A)

Women Beach Volleyball Final (cat B, A was not available)

I then booked yesterday an hotel near Tokyo Station for 1300$can for four nights (325$ per night) from where I can reach all the venues in less then 30 minutes

Despite my full agenda I'm able to add three more events (tickets being available for me) : another morning of Canoe-Kayak Finals, Men 10m Diving Final and the Bronze match for Women Volleyball

But I decided to not taking them since I want to have time to visit a little bit Tokyo (Shinjuku, Shibuya, etc...)

However, I am disappointed in one thing :

There are only two events that I have attended in each of my 5 Summer Olympics (1976, 1996, 2008, 2012 and 2016) : both in Athletics  the Men's 110m hurdles and the Women's 800m.

Unfortunately my sequence will be broken because I won't be able to see those two events in Tokyo 

Wow.  Sounds exciting, Petrus.  For your sake, I hope it will happen.  All the best.  If you can, you should go to Kyoto and Nara.  BTW, there is a  Le Petit Prince Museum  (tres japonnaise ;))  in Hakone (which, if ever I go back to Japan in the future, I would like to visit).  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Tokyo Olympic ticket refund applications to open in November, source says

Organizers of the Tokyo Olympics will open applications in November for refunds on tickets to the games, which have been postponed to next summer because of the novel coronavirus pandemic, a source with knowledge of the matter said Saturday.

They will begin the process for Paralympic ticket refunds the following month, according to the source.

The local organizing committee has sold roughly 4.48 million tickets for the Olympics and some 970,000 for the Paralympics through the official website.

Most tickets sold before the one-year postponement of the games remain valid for rescheduled events. Refunds will be considered for buyers unable to attend because of the postponement.

The Olympic organizers and the Japanese government are assessing possible changes to the games, including spectator numbers, based on the risk of infection from the virus. They will make a decision by next spring, according to sources.

The games will take place from July 23 to Aug. 8. The Paralympics are scheduled for Aug. 24 to Sept. 5.

The government in September decided to set up a system exempting Olympic and Paralympic athletes from entry restrictions placed on 159 countries and regions. The government has also recently started discussions to lift its ban on foreign tourists’ visits to Japan with the coming of the Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Date:Oct 24, 2020

News source:The Japan Times

Link to this article:https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2020/10/24/olympics/tokyo-olympic-ticket-refunds-november/

Tokyo 2020 ticket refund applications in Japan to start Nov. 10

Holders overseas can also get money back 'in principle' but guidelines vary

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%2Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%2Fimages%2F1%2F7%2F4%2F7%2F30307471-1-eng-GB%2FAO7I0396%20%E3%81%AE%E3%82%B3%E3%83%92%E3%82%9A%E3%83%BC.jpg?source=nar-cms

The Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games organizing committee will accept refund applications for tickets purchased in Japan beginning on Nov. 10, officials said Friday.

"The tickets that have already been purchased will be valid for the same session on the new date. For those unable to attend the session on the new date, we will provide a refund for the tickets," said Hidenori Suzuki, Tokyo 2020's marketing director.

The postponed Games will open on July 23, 2021, with all events pushed back by one day.

The Tokyo organizing committee has sold 4.48 million tickets for the Olympics in Japan alone, out of the 6.8 million available worldwide. For the Paralympics, 970,000 tickets have been sold. Olympic tickets originally came with a no-refund policy, causing uncertainty for spectators as the coronavirus led to the Games being postponed and stringent entry restrictions for foreigners into Japan.

Refunds for tickets bought outside Japan will be subject to guidelines set by the respective country's authorized ticket sellers.

"In principle, they should be able to receive a refund," Suzuki told reporters. "Depending on the country, the application period is different."

Ticket holders in Japan can apply for Olympics refunds from Nov. 10 until Nov. 30. The Paralympics refund application period begins on Dec. 1 and lasts through Dec. 21.

Refunds will be issued from late December for Olympics' tickets and from mid-January next year for the Paralympics. Ticket holders who paid in cash at convenience stores will have to provide an account under their name at a Japanese financial institution.

The official ticket refund application website will not work overseas, Suzuki said.

Overseas ticket sales comprised 10% to 20% of total ticket sales at previous Olympics. While Friday's announcement provides clarity for domestic spectators, foreign ticket holders are still in the dark about whether they will even be able to enter Japan.

Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga asked his government to plan to take in foreign arrivals for the Games, but under strict restrictions on movement within Japan, Nikkei reported last week.

A final plan for COVID-19 countermeasures during the Games will not be decided until Tokyo 2020 officials meet in November. As Tokyo 2020 requires $800 million in ticket sales for its operating budget, the final cost of postponement will not be determined until year's end.

Date:October 30, 2020

News source:Nikkei Asia

Link to this article:https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Tokyo-2020-Olympics/Tokyo-2020-ticket-refund-applications-in-Japan-to-start-Nov.-10

• 1 month later...

About 18% of Tokyo Olympic tickets to be refunded over postponement

The Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic organizing committee said Thursday they received requests for refunds for about 18 percent of the tickets bought for the Olympics due to the one-year postponement caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

Organizers said they received some 810,000 applications for Olympic ticket refunds out of about 4.45 million tickets sold in the domestic lottery, and are considering reselling the refunded tickets in the future.

"We are grateful that more than 80 percent (of ticket holders) are looking forward to the Olympics. We are moving forward with preparations for a safe and secure tournament," an organizing committee official said.

Tickets that have already been purchased for the Tokyo Olympics, now scheduled to be held next summer from July 23 to Aug. 8, remain valid in principle for rescheduled events. Organizers decided to offer refunds for domestic ticket holders who can no longer attend the games because of the one-year postponement.

Applications were accepted from Nov. 11 to 30 and refunds will begin being issued late this month.

On Tuesday, the ticket refund process started for the Paralympics, slated for Aug. 24 to Sept. 5 next year. Organizers plan to accept applications on its official website until Dec. 21.

Date:December 3,2020

News source:Kyodo News

Link to this article:https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/12/2642a7d7bf84-about-18-of-olympic-ticket-holders-request-refund.html

• 3 months later...