Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

Breaking: Italian Government Set To Guarantee Milan-Cortina 2026 Olympic Winter Games Bid

Reporting from Venice, Italy –  The Italian Prime Minister is set to sign a letter of guarantee that it will fully support the Milano-Cortina 2026 Olympic Winter Games bid, it was announced in Venice Monday. Italian Secretary of Sport Giancarlo Giorgetti made the announcement of the government’s commitment to the bid at a press conference at […]

The post Breaking: Italian Government Set To Guarantee Milan-Cortina 2026 Olympic Winter Games Bid appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

If it wasn’t for the climate change thread already, I would’ve said that this one is the annual April Fool’s thread lol.

But on a serious note, this would put, at least on a technical scale, Milan 2026 way ahead of Stockholm. And considering the anti-bidding climate these days, this should be very welcoming news in Lausanne. So.. Milan 2026/SLC 2030 starting to look more & more likely.

And a 20-year gap between two Italian games is perfectly acceptable.  It was only 12 years between Innsbruck 1964 and 1976 (of course the latter was due to Denver's recusing itself.)  But the US Games gaps are in that 20-year range.  I'm just not crazy about having sliding events a sea and another country away from Stockholm.  Crashing into the Baltic in February is not a nice way to go.  

If things don't change from now one it's safe to assume Cortina-Milan already has this on the bag. As much as the IOC is obsessed with scandinavia, there's no way they will force the games in a country which just doesn't want to host them.

I strongly suspect Stockholm will withdraw very soon then - that’s the best way for them to save face & regroup for 2030 rather than suffer losing the vote & further entrench Swedish anti-IOC feeling. 

My (contrarian) take on this is that it's in the IOC's long term interest to go to Stockholm, even if the interest now is lukewarm. It would be better for long-term sustainability of the event to go to a "traditional" Nordic winter sports country. Bach has been trying (fitfully) to change the IOC's image to secure the Games for the long term, and this is be no exception. Witness the decision to push Beijing for 2022 while IOC members seriously considered Almaty. I am not saying this will work but my instinct is that should the Swedes provide the necessary security guarantees they should be favoured.

If they provide the guarantees, agreed. But the next few days are critical for that - either the Swedes respond by giving their bid the guarantees - in which case they become favourites again - or they don’t, in which case it’s just too risky.

The IOC won’t be too displeased by Milan - it’s still Europe, which is what really matters, & it’s still dual-centred, so demonstrates the new model. Even Milan’s biggest negative - Salvini - could be useful if they can show the Olympics & European populism can coexist, in case that trend continues. 

Not to mention that if you go to Stockholm without any guarantees (if they don’t grant them before the decision) you’re just begging for Denver Mk. 2 when the government do actually have to commit. It really is all about whether Sweden will give the guarantees before decision day.