Joint Korean 2032 Olympic Bid At Risk As The North Takes A Step Back

A  joint bid by North and South Korea to host the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games may have stumbled on a hurdle Friday. From Seoul, AP has reported that North Korea has removed its staff from a joint-liaison office near the demilitarization zone separating the two countries that are still technically at war.  Officials in North […]

The post Joint Korean 2032 Olympic Bid At Risk As The North Takes A Step Back appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

Does anyone really think though that this “joint” bid was ever really possible? I think it’s all more PR than anything else. And when push eventually comes to shove, it’s just going to be a South Korean 2032 bid.

18 hours ago, FYI said:

Does anyone really think though that this “joint” bid was ever really possible? I think it’s all more PR than anything else. And when push eventually comes to shove, it’s just going to be a South Korean 2032 bid.

The lengths the IOC would go to for the Nobel Prize...2032 will be awarded in 2025 at Bach‘s last session (if he gets re-elected of course, which I don‘t doubt just yet). This would be the right pompous departure gift.

It's really not a far-fetched, pie-in-the-sky scheme.  I mean Seoul's venues (which were all nearly brand-new in 1988) are still there and probably need some sprucing up.  Since then, they got a new giant football stadium.  It's PyeongChang that might have to spend for a few new stadia.  The only major facility Seoul would need to build is a new Olympic Village.  But the long-term benefits are worth the seeming outlandishness of the idea IMHO.  ANd if Salt Lake gets Winter 2030 over Sapporo, then a joint Korean bid (if it is still such) would be very attractive for 2032.  

7 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

It's really not a far-fetched, pie-in-the-sky scheme.  I mean Seoul's venues (which were all nearly brand-new in 1988) are still there and probably need some sprucing up.  Since then, they got a new giant football stadium.  It's PyeongChang that might have to spend for a few new stadia.  The only major facility Seoul would need to build is a new Olympic Village.  But the long-term benefits are worth the seeming outlandishness of the idea IMHO.  ANd if Salt Lake gets Winter 2030 over Sapporo, then a joint Korean bid (if it is still such) would be very attractive for 2032.  

If Sapporo Japan get's the 2030 Winter Games then I can see the IOC going to Jakarta Indonesia for 2032 to get away from East Asia going to China or South Korea again will be boring Indonesia could be a great new market for the IOC to go too the Super power of South East Asia.