UK Sport Sets Target On Bidding For London 2036 Olympic Games

GBModerator

Top sport and government officials in the UK are backing plans for a London 2036 Olympic Games bid, local reports revealed Monday – or as early as 2032. UK Sport, the government agency that oversees investment in the Olympic and Paralympic Games has unveiled early plans to bring the Games back to London as a […]

The post UK Sport Sets Target On Bidding For London 2036 Olympic Games appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

I'd be amazed if anything comes of this.

It's an interesting 'what if' though.

Sorted...

Velodrome, BMX Track (I think!), Handball Arena, and White Water venue exist from 2012 and won't need changes other than a bit of temporary seating at a couple. That's quite a few awkward venues accounted for that we had to build from scratch for 2012. 2012 used a lot of existing venues that will still be around in the 2030s as well. Temporary venues from 2012 would be temporary venues again.

I'd imagine given the precedent set by Rio and LA we'd have ceremonies at Wembley this time, especially since the London Stadium is now a lower capacity. So 90k for ceremonies and 60k for athletics.

Rugby at Twickenham!

Let's piss the rest of the country off, show off a bit, and keep football entirely in London!

So most venues accounted for....

Awkward things...

I don't know what capacity the hockey venue can take now the pitches are over the road from where they were in 2012, but I know they can set up temporary stands there as they did for the European Champs.

I'd be amazed if they can get the Aquatics Centre back to Olympic Capacity, so a temporary venue would be needed for swimming and maybe have water polo and diving in the existing venue.

A new village would be needed.

Could the media centre be reused since it's been reconfigured for other uses? I'm not sure. I doubt it.

The Olympic Park had nearly 300,000 visitors some days in 2012. Since then the temporary concourses have been narrowed and given over to parkland and other uses.  Would it cope with that footfall again?

Lastly, the cost of security is hugely prohibitive. For a once in 50-70 year event, fine. But 20 years later? Is it justifiable?

Having had west, north, & then east, logic suggests the 2036 Olympic Park should be in Croydon :lol: Seriously, this does sound crackers, but since London has most venues in place, then if the IOC still has major problems getting bids by 2036 (bear in mind the bid process will be decided after LA, so hopefully the 24-28 combo will have solved that but even so), then there’s probably crazier ideas. Put it this way, if the IOC is in a hole, there’d be many worse ways to get out than this :p 

London again boring................. Let's have it in Manchester with some events in Liverpool, Leeds and Blackpool that would be more fun, Manchester hosted a brilliant 2002 Commonwealth Games which was a major factor in London getting the 2012 Summer Games and after the failed 1996 and 2000 bid it will be great to finally bring the games to Manchester.

After the repeat host from 2020 - 2028 If Stockholm 2026 and Salt Lake City 2030 happens it will be great to have new host for the games even if the country already hosted the games like Shanghai, Manchester and Toronto, New countries like Indonesia, Peru and Hungary. 

If it London UK vs Moscow Russia 2036 then I would back Moscow Russia way too soon for London to host again.