London 2036

stryker

3 hours ago, Rob2012 said:

UK Sport outlined this week what we're going to try for:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/05/uk-sport-womens-world-cup-fifa-britain-host

tl;dr - no men's world cup, no Olympic bid until at least the 2040s, no Commonwealth Games, women's world cup is the big aim for the 2030s, another World Athletics in 2029 or 2031, Tour de France stages, another Rugby World Cup, and more urban/esports events.

So probably time to call it day with regard to this thread:

UK Sport also downplayed the possibility of hosting the Olympics until at least 2044, given that the US and Australia both waited 32 years between Games. “To the IOC – with us hosting the games in 2012 – we are still a recent host,” said Esther Britten, head of major events at UK Sport. “We can’t see that until the 2040s at the earliest.”

Not very much sport wise to look forward to for the next decade or so then.

Women's World Cup might be ok if it either is UK based or if the other home nations other than England qualify otherwise might not be too popular for the rest of the UK. World Athletics looks like London and Rugby World Cup again would be good it if was more UK based.

A men's World Cup UK based would be great, Euro 2028 hopefully will show what that could be like, but i really think the whole UK would embrace a world cup really well. 

On a Rugby World Cup, a Celtic hosting would be a good shout. Ireland, Scotland and Wales together with Ireland as the 'main' host. They should've had 2023 really, as much as France were good hosts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yoshi said:

On a Rugby World Cup, a Celtic hosting would be a good shout. Ireland, Scotland and Wales together with Ireland as the 'main' host. They should've had 2023 really, as much as France were good hosts. 

Not sure @Scotguy II wants to talk about Rugby today.

6 hours ago, Rob2012 said:

As far as I can see, the stuff about 32 years is the Guardian's interpretation of her explanation. And to be fair, we're only really ruling ourselves out of bidding for the next two available editions. That's hardly a terrible bombshell, we can't bid for everything and 2012 was recent. We don't want to become the Madrid of the 2030's.

:lol:

A few thoughts…

Atlanta ‘96 was only 12 years after LA ‘84… just saying. Personally, I’d have likely been happier if Australia had waited a bit longer, and I too would prefer an “anywhere but London” next UK hosting - but you’ve also got to go with what works and grab them when you can.

After having hosted EVERY SECOND Rugby WC since inception, it’s totally unprecedented the Home Nations will have missed out on four straight hostings come 2035. You’d think the IRU already has that final pencilled in for Twickenham.

Good to see the Women’s World Cup being desired. Absolutely the UK should be going for it. It would be a travesty if the Saudi’s got that one first as well. it’s also a travesty the Men’s tournament hasn’t “come home” again yet.

10 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Atlanta '96 was only 12 years after LA '84... just saying. Personally, I’d have likely been happier if Australia had waited a bit longer, and I too would prefer an “anywhere but London” next UK hosting - but you’ve also got to go with what works and grab them when you can.

Yeah, but we all know why that was - right place, at the right time. And Athens just wasn't ready for 1996.

But for a small country the size of Australia (population-wise), they've faired way better than even the U.S. at Olympic hostings on a per capita basis.

Cause I'd say it's quite lop-sided for a smallish country like Australia getting a third Olympics only 32 years after their last one, while bigger countries like Spain & especially Germany have waited even longer, is pretty much a travesty. Especially for us ones who like to see the Games go to more new places than repeat ones. And for as much as Madrid & Istanbul have tried & lost, they should really be ticked off at how 2032 was handled. 

3 hours ago, FYI said:

And for as much as Madrid & Istanbul have tried & lost, they should really be ticked off at how 2032 was handled. 

I agree. It would have been galling. 

Its why I am confident it was a stitch up by Coates to get even on 1992. 

If the IOC was absolutely sure it needed a form of direct engagement for appoint a preferred candidate for 2032 - why didn't it look to capable and willing cities from recent bids - Istanbul, Madrid, Toronto - all come to mind as worthy cities that should have been part of that dialogue phase with Rhine-Ruhr and Brisbane. If I it had been above board under this New Norm, I cannot see at Executive group giving it to Brisbane so willingly. I think Madrid would have been a possible winner here, or Istanbul. 

And yes, I am aware that the cities have to be willing ---- but Brisbane got more than a nudge to get its stuff together. I think if Madrid, etc had known how possible it was and received the same level of intel and advantage they'd have put together a bid. Turns out, Madrid's stadium issues wouldn't have mattered after all and they'd be probably sorting it out right now too.