Sign in to follow this  
stryker

London 2036

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2019/02/26/mayor-london-uk-sport-back-idea-oflondon-bid-2036-olympics/

Five years ago I would've said no way. With the current bidding climate, I wouldn't discount it. While it's not quite as ready to go as Los Angeles, London does have many of the problematic expensive venues already in place (Olympic Stadium, velodrome, whitewater course) already in place. I assume the aquatic center while not expandable could be used for water polo with a temporary pool for aquatics. They'd need a new Olympic Village and possibly a a new IBC/MPC complex.

One of the things which annoyed me about the 2012 legacy, and perhaps this is true of all Olympic Games, is there didn't seem to be a legacy of having the ability to host a future Olympic Games.   Naturally most venues are downsized but more crucially spaces around them become urbanised or used for other purposes, so what was a functioning Olympic Park in 2012 may not be so suitable for the event in the future. 

However with that said we're clearly have a starting point, though I'd say the 2040s rather than 2030s would be best to target.   The UK should really be aiming to host such events once every generation - we waited far too long after 1948.  

Perhaps now the IOC are openly talking about regional bids, the next UK attempt should be another go for Northern England? This time they could involve Liverpool & even Leeds much more instead of just Manchester if they’re going for that regional angle.

Only thing to remember is that we’ve had our turn for a while, so I’d have thought 2048 at the earliest - although if the lack of viable candidates that actually want the games continues, maybe we could sneak in earlier. Given 2012, & especially if it’s not perceived as money all going to ‘that London’ again, I can’t see us struggling for public support. 

On 6/10/2019 at 11:49 PM, yoshi said:

Perhaps now the IOC are openly talking about regional bids, the next UK attempt should be another go for Northern England? This time they could involve Liverpool & even Leeds much more instead of just Manchester if they’re going for that regional angle.

Only thing to remember is that we’ve had our turn for a while, so I’d have thought 2048 at the earliest - although if the lack of viable candidates that actually want the games continues, maybe we could sneak in earlier. Given 2012, & especially if it’s not perceived as money all going to ‘that London’ again, I can’t see us struggling for public support. 

I personally see the United Kingdom going for the 2036 Summer Olympics. Would be a great way to unite the country especially after Brexit aned could have wide ranging support.

Given the IOCs openess to having muliple cities bidding for the

1 minute ago, CWells2000 said:

I personally see the United Kingdom going for the 2036 Summer Olympics. Would be a great way to unite the country especially after Brexit aned could have wide ranging support.

Given the IOCs openess to having muliple cities bidding. I would personally like to see it spread between 6 or 7 cities. 

Well, if (or better when) Germany don't get their act together, who else will there be to step in as the next European host other than the British? Madrid? Budapest?!?

10 hours ago, munichfan said:

Well, if (or better when) Germany don't get their act together, who else will there be to step in as the next European host other than the British? Madrid? Budapest?!?

Mentioned:

-Madrid 

-A Russian one (Most likely Saint Petersburg)

-Rhein-Rhur

Potential:

-Istanbul

-Budapest

If London did bid for 2036 then the costs would be signficantly lower than in previous Olympics.

London actually ended up only spending around £8.92billion for the 2012 games which is one of the lowest in recent years. 

The costs for Tokyo 2020 cost is already over £20billion.

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:33 AM, Brekkie Boy said:

One of the things which annoyed me about the 2012 legacy, and perhaps this is true of all Olympic Games, is there didn't seem to be a legacy of having the ability to host a future Olympic Games.   Naturally most venues are downsized but more crucially spaces around them become urbanised or used for other purposes, so what was a functioning Olympic Park in 2012 may not be so suitable for the event in the future. 

I was in London for a few days a couple weeks ago and I finally had the chance to visit the Olympic Park. It's a great legacy and while a lot of the space around the venues has been repurposed, I don't think given the bidding climate that London would necessarily need a new Olympic Park to host again. As far as plans go, I would assume a future London Olympics could easily use London ExCEL as the MPC/IBC, shift tennis to Queen's Club (wasn't this the original venue for tennis in the 2012 bid?), use the covered centre court and No. 1 court at Wimbledon for indoor sports like volleyball and basketball, and use Olympia and or Alexandra Palace for the sports that were held at London ExCEL. The biggest need IMO would be where to put the Olympic Village.

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:49 AM, yoshi said:

It's feasible but London already has a lot of the 'troublesome" venues such as the velodrome, slalom canoe course, and the athletics stadium. IMO that would give London an edge over any regional bid from the north. On the other hand, I see that the expanded Alexandra Stadium in Birmingham that will be used for the CWGs is seeking to become the headquarters for UK Athletics after the CWGs conclude. The same article also discussed West Ham United's desire to purchase the London Olympic Stadium if it is renovated to become a football-only stadium. If that goes through, then London's chances take a huge hit unless the reconfigured stadium could somehow be fitted with a platform track.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1080988/birmingham-targets-taking-athletics-off-london-as-72-million-alexander-stadium-redevelopment-plan-for-2022-commonwealth-games-unveiled

Or they’ll expand Crystal Palace as the athletics stadium - after all, it’s Saaf London’s turn :lol:

• Like 1

London's Olympic Stadium might end up as the first stadium to be built three times just to make sure the first version doesn't sit there empty. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Whatever you say about the conversion of the Olympic stadium (costs, aesthetics, politics) it certainly isn't empty. See the London Legacy thread for how it looks today, with a baseball field ready for Yankess v Red Sox.

styker, unless it was a very early plan that I missed, Queens was never the venue for tennis for 2012. Interesting thoughts on using Wimbledon's covered courts as Paris is using RG though.

yoshi, I'll give you a like for that...I don't know if I still have MY MAP.

Edited by Rob.