London 2036

stryker

Agreed Rob.  Also West Ham are still under a mountain of debt.  I am not sure they are in any pole position for negotiations in that front.  They would be wise to ride this amazing wave theyre on right now, consolidate their squad, shoot for the champions league (or maintain Europa spot) and get back in the green.  That's gonna take some time.  Granted, thats the SMART thing to do, and football clubs are not known for being the smartest financial investors.  

And yeah, I think you talked yourself into the appropriate course of action in a hypothetical 2036 bid.  Looking at that, London is incredibly galvanizing.  Darn shame they dont bring suitcases of cash like the Russians do, though.  Long ways out, we will see how it plays out.  London I still think looks good.

• 2 weeks later...

As I was saying two years ago...

On 2/18/2020 at 11:28 AM, Rob. said:

My main "concern" (if you could call it that, because I'm not advocating for another bid), would actually be from the other end of the spectrum. I don't think this government would want to be seen to be pushing for London to be the focus of a major event.

UK Government interested in bidding for Olympics again but want different city to London

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1118801/uk-to-look-beyond-london-for-olympic-bid

Edited by Rob.

That would be very interesting. Manchester & Birmingham as probable choices is not a surprise, but Glasgow kinda is, especially when some downplay it‘s capability (& then there’s the talk of Scottish independence in the background, too). It would still be interesting, & they probably can do it with Edinburgh. 

I know some argue the agenda 2020/new norm angle as to why it should be London again, but as the article states, the U.K. Gov’t wants to start “spreading the wealth” around. And I actually think the populance in other areas of the U.K. would probably resent another London Games for that very reason. And it is high time that we have another U.K. city anyway.

And with the “election” of Brisbane 2032, that certainly gives a credible argument now for smaller cities than London in the U.K., & L.A. & NYC in the U.S. I don’t think that the IOC can back-peddle now from these Beta/Gamma cities now that they’ve opened the door. Not if they want to at least survive for the long-haul anyway, & not always ending up in questionable locales. 

But why wait ‘til the 2040’s, though? 2036 is quite ripe for Europe again, after 12 years then from Paris 2024. Unless of course, 2036 is already designated for a certain other (eastern) European country, that is. ^_^ But sooner rather than later, I’d say. 

37 minutes ago, Rob. said:

As I was saying two years ago...

UK Government interested in bidding for Olympics again but want different city to London

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1118801/uk-to-look-beyond-london-for-olympic-bid

Hang on, there's still a UK Government? Will the ceremonies all be BYOB events?

• Haha 1

That would be a bit disappointing and bewildering to discard London.  No stadium in or around Birmingham or Manchester, with all of their grand football stadiums, is going to want to have a track installed, so I guess have it at the Olympic stadium in London?  Id prefer Glasgow/Edinburgh if that was the choice.  Gives the Scots an alley-oop event for their independence.  

34 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

Hang on, there's still a UK Government? Will the ceremonies all be BYOB events?

"Operation Save Big Dog" (yes, that's the real name) is running full-steam ahead. The end of Covid restrictions, privatizing the BBC, they are in for everything that might keep people from thinking about No. 10.

44 minutes ago, FYI said:

And with the “election” of Brisbane 2032, that certainly gives a credible argument now for smaller cities than London in the U.K., & L.A. & NYC in the U.S. I don’t think that the IOC can back-peddle now from these Beta/Gamma cities now that they’ve opened the door. Not if they want to at least survive for the long-haul anyway, & not always ending up in questionable locales.

I'll believe it when I actually see it happening. Brisbane happened (as almost all of us know) under very special circumstances. As things stand, the IOC seem to get plenty of choices for 2036 - including Alpha-tier cities. I just don't see them heading to the UK for a spread-out Northern England bid for their little party if the likes of Moscow or Madrid are on the table. While we might agree on Russia being a questionable choice, that didn't prevent them from hosting a successful FIFA World Cup with only limited opposition even in western countries. I'm sure, a Russian summer games would provoke much less negative press than a Chinese ones.

There's no way an Olympic sized athletics stadium gets built in northern England in either the Manchester or Birmingham area. Having said that, with the UK'S transport links, could we perhaps see a bid concentrated in Birmingham and or Manchester but with athletics held in London? I see no other viable option.

• 3 months later...
On 5/12/2022 at 3:36 PM, AustralianFan said:

Interesting take on another London bid by Duncan Mackay from Inside The Games. 

I would have thought that finding new locations for the some of those venues he mentions, like a new athletes village, are achieveable within London?

Maybe a bit premature, but it sounds like if the UK is serious about this, then the fantasy of a northern England bid from the likes of Birmingham and Manchester is a dead idea, and it should be. London can easily clear the field in a 2036 race unless there`s another strong bid from western Europe somewhere (the likes of Madrid, Rome, or Germany). I disagree with McKay`s assessment entirely. He`s still operating under the old line of thinking that based on continental rotation that 2036 would be Asia`s time. Even worse is he cites both Jakarta and Doha as credible alternatives when neither is. Unless the bid is coming from Korea (Seoul) there`s no threat to a London bid from Asia. In terms of how a London Olympics would look. The stadium is the plus. I also believe that McKay is misinformed on UK Athletics. I haven`t seen anything that suggests they are looking to leave the Olympic Stadium and it`s been discussed but West Ham is in no financial shape to purchase the stadium, let alone renovate it. 

A 2036 bid would just need a bit of tweaking as far as venues go. the new MSG Sphere could easily host boxing or perhaps taekwondo, judo, or wrestling. London ExCEL could host the IBC/and MPC. The aquatics center at 3,000 could host water polo while one of the city`s many football stadiums could acommodate a temporary pool for aquatics. Both Olympia and Alexandra Palace could host indoor events like badminton, table tennis, taekwondo. I`d envision gymnastics and the medal rounds for basketball back at the 02 with basketball prelims at the Copper Box. Volleyball and handball could easily be held in Birmingham if they want to bring in northern England somehow. As for an Olympic Village, this would be the biggest hurdle IMO, but surely somewhere in the Greater London area could use affordable housing or perhaps London could follow Birmingham`s lead for the CWGs and use existing housing from local universities for an Olympic Village.

3 hours ago, stryker said:

I also believe that McKay is misinformed on UK Athletics. I haven`t seen anything that suggests they are looking to leave the Olympic Stadium and it`s been discussed but West Ham is in no financial shape to purchase the stadium, let alone renovate it. 

News this week...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/05/05/uk-athletics-talks-quit-london-stadium-open-door-west-ham-transformation/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/athletics/2022/05/12/dina-asher-smith-urges-athletics-chiefs-keep-london-stadium/

Who knows whether this is likely (hope not), but there is certainly some smoke.

Politically, this still looks like Sadiq's baby, and for that reason and others I've already mentioned, I still can't see it getting government support.

4 hours ago, stryker said:

I disagree with McKay`s assessment entirely. He`s still operating under the old line of thinking that based on continental rotation that 2036 would be Asia`s time. Even worse is he cites both Jakarta and Doha as credible alternatives when neither is. Unless the bid is coming from Korea (Seoul) there`s no threat to a London bid from Asia. 

I didn't even bother to read that piece until you mentioned this. That does seem pretty peculiar coming from a veteran Olympic sport-writer. Especially when he doesn't even consider the *official* IOC July/Aug. time-window criteria would automatically disqualify Doha & Jakarta right from the get-go (regardless of the "plenty of voices within the Olympic Movement 'shouting' that there are many [other] places who deserve the opportunity of hosting the Games". Which seems like a stretch, since where were those voices when 2032 was being decided upon, & you had those same cities mentioned that were also interested). And when continental rotation was "unofficially" exercised, it was never in a linear way anyway.

The only thing that could've been said about that, is that you never had two-consecutive Summer Olympics on the same continent since WWII. But if we still want to apply some of that same old-line of thinking on this, then I still say the 'Europe never going more than 12-years without a Summer Olympics' applies much more so in this case. And by 2036, it'll be 12 years since Europe's last summer hosting. 

14 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Fourth UK Olympics - yes. Third London Olympics - no thanks. 

I really like the idea of Manchester (with Liverpool) or a regional Scottish Games (Edinburgh-Glasgow-Dundee).

Yes, they should keep building white elephants so you don't get bored with the host cities.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If it were a Birmingham-Manchester 2036 bid, 

#1 - after Brisbane, and India;s bid is that Ahmenadbadabad instead of Delhi or Mumbai, the IOC would then be going with 2ndary and tertiary cities.  I don't think that the IOC would be enthused with that idea.  

#2 - Why build new facilties / white elephants again in the Midlands when London has all of them?  

#3 - Would Birming-Manchester-Glasgow have the collection of 1st class hotels that London has?

#4 - My only question for a 4th London bid would be: where would they place OV #4?  Is there still space in QE2 Park?  

Top of the list for the "legacy" of the games should be the ability to stage the games again.   Always thought that should happen in the 2040s.   2036 feels too early with only Paris as the other European host in the period between when there are so many other cities who deserve a shot.