London 2036

stryker

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2019/02/26/mayor-london-uk-sport-back-idea-oflondon-bid-2036-olympics/

Five years ago I would've said no way. With the current bidding climate, I wouldn't discount it. While it's not quite as ready to go as Los Angeles, London does have many of the problematic expensive venues already in place (Olympic Stadium, velodrome, whitewater course) already in place. I assume the aquatic center while not expandable could be used for water polo with a temporary pool for aquatics. They'd need a new Olympic Village and possibly a a new IBC/MPC complex.

• 3 months later...

One of the things which annoyed me about the 2012 legacy, and perhaps this is true of all Olympic Games, is there didn't seem to be a legacy of having the ability to host a future Olympic Games.   Naturally most venues are downsized but more crucially spaces around them become urbanised or used for other purposes, so what was a functioning Olympic Park in 2012 may not be so suitable for the event in the future. 

However with that said we're clearly have a starting point, though I'd say the 2040s rather than 2030s would be best to target.   The UK should really be aiming to host such events once every generation - we waited far too long after 1948.  

Perhaps now the IOC are openly talking about regional bids, the next UK attempt should be another go for Northern England? This time they could involve Liverpool & even Leeds much more instead of just Manchester if they’re going for that regional angle.

Only thing to remember is that we’ve had our turn for a while, so I’d have thought 2048 at the earliest - although if the lack of viable candidates that actually want the games continues, maybe we could sneak in earlier. Given 2012, & especially if it’s not perceived as money all going to ‘that London’ again, I can’t see us struggling for public support. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2019 at 11:49 PM, yoshi said:

Perhaps now the IOC are openly talking about regional bids, the next UK attempt should be another go for Northern England? This time they could involve Liverpool & even Leeds much more instead of just Manchester if they’re going for that regional angle.

Only thing to remember is that we’ve had our turn for a while, so I’d have thought 2048 at the earliest - although if the lack of viable candidates that actually want the games continues, maybe we could sneak in earlier. Given 2012, & especially if it’s not perceived as money all going to ‘that London’ again, I can’t see us struggling for public support. 

I personally see the United Kingdom going for the 2036 Summer Olympics. Would be a great way to unite the country especially after Brexit aned could have wide ranging support.

Given the IOCs openess to having muliple cities bidding for the

1 minute ago, CWells2000 said:

I personally see the United Kingdom going for the 2036 Summer Olympics. Would be a great way to unite the country especially after Brexit aned could have wide ranging support.

Given the IOCs openess to having muliple cities bidding. I would personally like to see it spread between 6 or 7 cities. 

10 hours ago, munichfan said:

Well, if (or better when) Germany don't get their act together, who else will there be to step in as the next European host other than the British? Madrid? Budapest?!?

Mentioned:

-Madrid 

-A Russian one (Most likely Saint Petersburg)

-Rhein-Rhur

Potential:

-Istanbul

-Budapest

If London did bid for 2036 then the costs would be signficantly lower than in previous Olympics.

London actually ended up only spending around £8.92billion for the 2012 games which is one of the lowest in recent years. 

The costs for Tokyo 2020 cost is already over £20billion.

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:33 AM, Brekkie Boy said:

One of the things which annoyed me about the 2012 legacy, and perhaps this is true of all Olympic Games, is there didn't seem to be a legacy of having the ability to host a future Olympic Games.   Naturally most venues are downsized but more crucially spaces around them become urbanised or used for other purposes, so what was a functioning Olympic Park in 2012 may not be so suitable for the event in the future. 

I was in London for a few days a couple weeks ago and I finally had the chance to visit the Olympic Park. It's a great legacy and while a lot of the space around the venues has been repurposed, I don't think given the bidding climate that London would necessarily need a new Olympic Park to host again. As far as plans go, I would assume a future London Olympics could easily use London ExCEL as the MPC/IBC, shift tennis to Queen's Club (wasn't this the original venue for tennis in the 2012 bid?), use the covered centre court and No. 1 court at Wimbledon for indoor sports like volleyball and basketball, and use Olympia and or Alexandra Palace for the sports that were held at London ExCEL. The biggest need IMO would be where to put the Olympic Village.

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:49 AM, yoshi said:

It's feasible but London already has a lot of the 'troublesome" venues such as the velodrome, slalom canoe course, and the athletics stadium. IMO that would give London an edge over any regional bid from the north. On the other hand, I see that the expanded Alexandra Stadium in Birmingham that will be used for the CWGs is seeking to become the headquarters for UK Athletics after the CWGs conclude. The same article also discussed West Ham United's desire to purchase the London Olympic Stadium if it is renovated to become a football-only stadium. If that goes through, then London's chances take a huge hit unless the reconfigured stadium could somehow be fitted with a platform track.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1080988/birmingham-targets-taking-athletics-off-london-as-72-million-alexander-stadium-redevelopment-plan-for-2022-commonwealth-games-unveiled

Whatever you say about the conversion of the Olympic stadium (costs, aesthetics, politics) it certainly isn't empty. See the London Legacy thread for how it looks today, with a baseball field ready for Yankess v Red Sox.

styker, unless it was a very early plan that I missed, Queens was never the venue for tennis for 2012. Interesting thoughts on using Wimbledon's covered courts as Paris is using RG though.

yoshi, I'll give you a like for that...I don't know if I still have MY MAP.

Edited by Rob.

• 7 months later...

As someone who was lucky enough to be in London for part of those magical few weeks in 2012, the idea of it happening again in my lifetime, let alone as soon as 2036, seems far too good to be true. Yes, we're probably in a stronger position technically, given the venues that are already in place and would only need some upgrading rather than major construction. I do wonder, though, whether it would command the kind of public support that the 2012 bid did. I haven't been following developments in the field that closely of late, for various reasons, but I don't particularly sense any groundswell behind Birmingham 2022 (albeit that's not as big an event as the Olympics, of course). My concern, at least from the perspective of a fan, is that a bid for a fourth London Olympics might be susceptible to the kinds of campaigns that have weakened several other bids in other parts of the world in recent times.

Social media has really galvanised anti-Olympic bids. Small noisy minorities can hijack the agenda so much easier these days,and  disseminate hysterical fake news or just noise.

As for London 2012, glad you enjoyed it, but I see it now as the most tarnished Games ever, with at least 29 medallists (13 Gold) being stripped of their medals, and more to come. 

13 hours ago, arwebb said:

As someone who was lucky enough to be in London for part of those magical few weeks in 2012, the idea of it happening again in my lifetime, let alone as soon as 2036, seems far too good to be true. Yes, we're probably in a stronger position technically, given the venues that are already in place and would only need some upgrading rather than major construction. I do wonder, though, whether it would command the kind of public support that the 2012 bid did. I haven't been following developments in the field that closely of late, for various reasons, but I don't particularly sense any groundswell behind Birmingham 2022 (albeit that's not as big an event as the Olympics, of course). My concern, at least from the perspective of a fan, is that a bid for a fourth London Olympics might be susceptible to the kinds of campaigns that have weakened several other bids in other parts of the world in recent times.

I don't think such a thing would happen. Firstly, it didn't happen last time (and I know social media wasn't a thing, but still, there was much more to protest against last time in terms of disruption, costs etc). Secondly, because there's a real fondness for London 2012 that didn't exist before the Games. Pre-2012 many were lukewarm to cynical*, post-2012 and especially with Brexit, the Games are already being viewed in warmly nostalgic terms. Most people would, in London at least, love to have them back. The NoBostonOlympics stuff wouldn't fly in post-2012 London.

At worst, I think we'd have some Extinction Rebellion protests.

My main "concern" (if you could call it that, because I'm not advocating for another bid), would actually be from the other end of the spectrum. I don't think this government would want to be seen to be pushing for London to be the focus of a major event.

--

* I think you're misremembering the level of public support. It was good (around 65%), but not massive, and the excitement didn't really ramp up until we got quite close to the event. Similarly, I don't think anyone is going to be excited about Brum 22 just yet.

Edited by Rob.

That’s all true about the government re: London, but a potential regional bid of Manchester/Liverpool/possibly Leeds or Sheffield would push all the right buttons for both Boris & the IOC in the moods they’re both in. Would provide a deadline for the cross-north rail plans & even HS2 as well. If it becomes certain that Brisbane will host 2032 (or anywhere else outside Europe for that matter), I wouldn’t be amazed to hear noises about Northern England 2036 from Boris’ circle. 

In general terms, I think regional bids are something that ought to be explored. But I cannot, and do not, trust Johnson one iota. He may talk the talk about "levelling up", in which case a Manchester-Liverpool bid could become a reality but there is no evidence of walking the walk. I fear a lot of people across our country are going to be bitterly, bitterly disappointed by him over the coming years.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rob. said:

* I think you're misremembering the level of public support. It was good (around 65%), but not massive, and the excitement didn't really ramp up until we got quite close to the event. Similarly, I don't think anyone is going to be excited about Brum 22 just yet.

Quite possibly. But I think we would be unwise to say the kind of campaigns that grew in Boston or Calgary couldn't grow around London too. People would doubtless be reminded of what the costs were initially meant to be and what they became and it is now far, far easier to get alternative messages out there, as we know.

On 2/18/2020 at 6:07 PM, yoshi said:

That’s all true about the government re: London, but a potential regional bid of Manchester/Liverpool/possibly Leeds or Sheffield would push all the right buttons for both Boris & the IOC in the moods they’re both in. Would provide a deadline for the cross-north rail plans & even HS2 as well. If it becomes certain that Brisbane will host 2032 (or anywhere else outside Europe for that matter), I wouldn’t be amazed to hear noises about Northern England 2036 from Boris’ circle. 

Why go for Northern England bid though when London has almost everything ready to go? Even with the IOC accepting regional bids, if a compact sustainable low-cost option is available, and London fits that description, why opt for a regional bid? The IOC maybe open to the idea of a regional bid but if a compact one presents itself I can't see it being turned down. 

16 hours ago, stryker said:

Why go for Northern England bid though when London has almost everything ready to go? Even with the IOC accepting regional bids, if a compact sustainable low-cost option is available, and London fits that description, why opt for a regional bid? The IOC maybe open to the idea of a regional bid but if a compact one presents itself I can't see it being turned down. 

The main (and perhaps) sole reason is political post Brexit. Some sort of counterbalance to avoid the centralized influence of London, while BoJo consolidating the northern lines. 

15 hours ago, Roger87 said:

The main (and perhaps) sole reason is political post Brexit. Some sort of counterbalance to avoid the centralized influence of London, while BoJo consolidating the northern lines. 

I would hope that by the time a decision about 2036 needs to made BoJo and his cronies will have been thrown out long already.