Softball could be back!

stevie

Okay, just came across this:

NEW YORK, Sept 9 Reuters - The International Olympic Committee (IOC) may take another look at its decision to exclude softball from the 2012 London Olympic program.

At a future general session the IOC could say: ``Hey, we want to have a second look at it,'' said president Jacques Rogge in an interview published in today's issue of the Around the Rings publication.

``That's possible.''

The IOC voted on July 8 to exclude baseball and softball from the Olympic program in 2012.

Softball failed by one vote to obtain the majority necessary to stay on the schedule, the IOC said last month.

US Olympic Committee (USOC) chairman Peter Ueberroth has called on the IOC to reconsider its decision.

Ueberroth said in a statement last month that the IOC voting figures ``confirms what we had been told by many members of the IOC which is that the vote in Singapore was extremely close and there may have been confusion on the part of some voters.

``This also underscores our belief that the IOC, consistent with the spirit of fairness it has always shown, should reconsider this decision.''

Ueberroth said the USOC would continue to work to see that softball is reinstated in 2012.

``We cannot allow the Olympic dreams of women and girls worldwide to be put in jeopardy by a vote that was this close,'' he said.

Ueberroth praised the IOC for increasing opportunities for women and girls to participate in Olympic sport.

``However, the decision to remove softball from the Olympic program stands in stark contrast to those important efforts and we respectfully believe it should be reconsidered,'' he added.

Rogge told Around the Rings that IOC statutes prohibit the Olympic committee's executive board from overturning ``a sovereign decision by the IOC session''.

``Our charter is very clear that the EB (executive board) cannot take an initiative to say 'we want a new vote' because that would open up the door to all kinds of re-votes.''

REUTERS

• 2 weeks later...

The reason they added 'softball' - NOTE, the name - softball - because this was the Equal Opportunity game to Baseball.  So, why should they add a Men's Softball game?  Duh.   :rolleyes:

You just can't keep adding sports to the programme.  Remember, they limit the partcipating athletes to about 10,000.  

Softball, esp., while it guarantees medals for the US, is such a boring game -- to watch.  I mean base-softball are really North American games.  Just as Americans find soccer a little slow and boring to watch, the rest of the world also finds baseball extremely boring to watch.  I do.  So I couldn't care less whether it/they return or completely disappear from the Olympic slate.  No loss.

Just as Americans find soccer a little slow and boring to watch

Given our ongoing argument about the hosts of the 2018 world cup, that is a very telling statement Mr Baron.

:;):

OK, here we go again!  Well, that's nothing that you already don't know.  But the country and its sports zeal is large enough so that in 1994, it STILL registered the MOST SUCCESSFULLY ATTENDED WORLD CUP IN HISTORY (some 3.56 million admissions sold) - which record may NOT, repeat, NOT be equaled or surpassed until 2010.  And what about the so-called 'traditional soccer countries'?  :rolleyes:

ANd this was with the host country only reaching the 2nd round.  What more if it went to the finals?  There is NO GREATER PROOF in the SUCCESS of an EVENT than in its PAID ATTENDANCE!

1994 World Cup Attendance statistics

• 4 months later...
Anyway, attendances may be one thing. A World Cup final in the heat of the day made for a horrible spectacle in 1994 and must not be repeated.

well, I didn't set it.  Oddly, the 1984 football finals between France & Brazil, also held at the Rose Bowl, started much later; and I remember it was around 8:00 pm when I got caught up in the outbound traffic.  

For 2018, I would probably go for a late PM, when the sun is setting.  But I don't know how FIFA would take to that.  Aren't other finals also in the day?

Normally they're evening finals. In Japan it was an evening final local time, (lunchtime UK time). The problem the US has is that if they choose to play the final in LA much later than midday local time, that makes it late night in Europe. Perhaps the final could be played in New York instead.

Normally they're evening finals. In Japan it was an evening final local time, (lunchtime UK time). The problem the US has is that if they choose to play the final in LA much later than midday local time, that makes it late night in Europe. Perhaps the final could be played in New York instead.

Yeah, conceivably it could be in NY -- at the new Giants Stadium, supposedly.

Archived